Board logo

Mirrors
timcrasher - 26/3/04 at 09:02 PM

Hi guys, I've just been reading through the SVA bible in final preparation for my test and am struggling with my mirrors.
I have fitted some Racetech single seater mirrors and am now not sure if they will pass.
Do the mirrors have to be able to fold back against the bodywork and then be able to return back to their original position?
Has anyone passed the test with this type of fixed mirror ?
I know alot of people use Fireblade type bike mirrors, but I was looking at some at work today, and they dont really move much either !
Any advise would be welcomed
Thanks Tim

David Jenkins - 26/3/04 at 09:36 PM

Only mirrors that extend beyond the perimiter of the body have to fold back - and as far as the SVA is concerned, the Locost perimeter is out at the edge of the wheels.

If you think about the purpose of the regulation, i.e. to protect pedestrians from impact with the mirrors, then on a 7 they will be hit by the front wheels before the mirrors get them!

Fixed mirrors are fine, as long as they're big enough, and have rounded edges everywhere.

cheers,

David

[Edited on 26/3/04 by David Jenkins]

JoelP - 26/3/04 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
If you think about the purpose of the regulation, i.e. to protect pedestrians from impact with the mirrors, then on a 7 they will be hit by the front wheels before the mirrors get them!

that didnt stop them being daft with the radius regulations!

timcrasher - 26/3/04 at 10:28 PM

Thanks alot Dave.
I was unsure about if the wheels acted as the outer perimeter of the bodywork or not. So I will put the damn things on and stop worrying about them.
Cheers Tim

[Edited on 26/3/04 by timcrasher]