Board logo

fuel fillers - do they have to lock?
Jumpy Guy - 24/6/05 at 12:56 PM

we use fuel fillers at work that dont have alock and key
however, they need a special tool to open them, similar to locking wheel nut key..
so a passer by couldnt open it..
is this enough?

Hellfire - 24/6/05 at 01:17 PM

Would have thought so - let me check the manual...

Nope they don't have to lock - as long as you have one on, it is secure and dont leak fuel you should be alright. Though for peace of mind I'd want a lockable one - similar to the one you describe.

HTH

[Edited on 24-6-05 by Hellfire]

DaveFJ - 24/6/05 at 02:39 PM

Errr maybe I'm missing the point here...

Fuel caps need to locking in some way. either directly or behind a locking flap as in most modern cars. This is a basic MOT fail so must be an SVA fail ?

Berwyn - 24/6/05 at 03:37 PM

No lock on mine and went through the SVA with no problem. Mine was from Europaspares, not sure this link will work but here goes...

https://secure.visav.co.uk/avshop/products.asp?sword=fuel%20cap&page=&showitem=1762

Hellfire - 24/6/05 at 04:45 PM

Image deleted by owner

First column is pass criteria
Second column is fail criteria.

rusty nuts - 24/6/05 at 05:48 PM

Fuel caps do not need to lock for an SVA or for MOT test , they need to be secure and seal properly thats all.

flak monkey - 24/6/05 at 05:52 PM

If that is true....how come several people have failed for not having a locking filler cap? Some have even failed due to having a non locking cap inside a locking boot IIRC.

tks - 24/6/05 at 07:49 PM

where is the flap rule then??

that you cant put leaded hose in unleaded car..

?? the reduction??

Tks

Hellfire - 24/6/05 at 09:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
If that is true....how come several people have failed for not having a locking filler cap? Some have even failed due to having a non locking cap inside a locking boot IIRC.

Because Mr SVA hasn't read his book properly I guess it could be interpreted in many ways and who wants to upset him afterall?

@tks I think the reduction is to accomodate 22mm fuel nozzle (spout) (whatever it is in Spanish)

[Edited on 25-6-05 by Hellfire]

tks - 27/6/05 at 04:50 PM

but i ask where states the book that rule??

Tks