Board logo

Who can close a road?
owelly - 22/1/13 at 10:29 AM

As far as I can glean, the BiB can close a road but any other agencies need a Temporary Restriction Notice/Order. So how can council snow clearing contractors build snow walls to close off roads? They say its so they can clear the roads quicker without other road users ad its to stop folks driving on dangerous roads but the A169 has been clwar aprt from the snow road blocks all night. Still, the contractors are on overtime....

JoelP - 22/1/13 at 10:56 AM

You are allowed to clear obstructions anyway. They probably just figure that most people won't !

owelly - 22/1/13 at 11:04 AM

The snow walls are built with diggers and are over 12 feet tall!!

Benzine - 22/1/13 at 11:11 AM

adithorp - 22/1/13 at 11:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
The snow walls are built with diggers and are over 12 feet tall!!

So how do you know the road is clear if youcan't go along it?

owelly - 22/1/13 at 11:24 AM

Because I work at a RAF base in the middle of the 'closed' road and have to wait for the diggers to let e out!!

lsdweb - 22/1/13 at 11:58 AM

Fire and Rescue Service, probably Ambulance too (not relevant to your particular question I know).

Local Authority may have emergency powers in certain circumstances.

snapper - 22/1/13 at 12:20 PM

Fylingdales?
Call the Mod Plods

Peteff - 22/1/13 at 12:27 PM

The highways agency can close the motorway in the event of an accident or emergency.

Agriv8 - 22/1/13 at 12:40 PM

quote:
Because I work at a RAF base in the middle of the 'closed' road and have to wait for the diggers to let e out!!

I would be on the phone to the council emergency planning Dept. What would happen if there was an Major incident and they needed to get ambulance and god knows what else to you ! would they also have to wait for a digger to remove the Snow Bank ?

Atb Agiv8

Confused but excited. - 22/1/13 at 12:52 PM

Get the MoD to phone the contractor and tell them that they are going to have to pay all your wages, at double time, until you can all get out. That will shift it!

owelly - 22/1/13 at 12:58 PM

The MoD Plod have little interest as they don't want to be looking after folks who get stuck anywhere near the camp. Likewise, the locsl council are playing the old 'health & safety' card. The camp has its own fire section and medical centre and the use of a helipad should tgings get desperate so the obly real problem is the 40 mile detour when you know that any half decent 4x4 or car with suitable tyres will be able to get through.
Grrrrr!!

ashg - 22/1/13 at 01:07 PM

Can't you just get reme to go down there with their diggers

owelly - 22/1/13 at 01:30 PM

No REME on our radar site.... I spose they could bend the radar beam down a bit....

mcerd1 - 22/1/13 at 02:31 PM

quote:
No REME on our radar site.... I spose they could bend the radar beam down a bit....

I like your thinking

kipper - 22/1/13 at 04:20 PM

How about Auto 66 motor club????? they close the road at Scarborough for the road races
Denis.

matt_gsxr - 22/1/13 at 05:20 PM

Is this your relevant council?

Seems like they have some rules.

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3252

owelly - 22/1/13 at 05:40 PM

Good find and in a link off a link on that page is a list of the current TROs. There is one for the A169 was issued and cancelled two hours after the road reopened!!

jps - 22/1/13 at 07:05 PM

I could be wrong but i think police can control traffic but not shut a road. Subtle difference. I think police probably have specific powers relying to crime scenes which will be more far reaching than roads alone, but most likely the general public tend to mainly come across that on roads more than anywhere else.

I think that councils are most likely to be the main agency who 'close roads', although there will be specific legal abilities for other agencies to do so in certain locations, eg there is a road in my village that mod close, with gates, when they are live firing on the ranges, similarly the legislation which made the Birmingham SuperPrix possible...

Interestingly police powers to control traffic can be accredited to other agencies, hence in Essex it is possible to practically 'close roads' for cycle racing, although in reality it is not a closed road, just controlled traffic...

[Edited on 22/1/13 by jps]

jps - 22/1/13 at 07:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Fylingdales?
Call the Mod Plods

MOD police don't have jurisdiction over civvies do they?

owelly - 22/1/13 at 07:14 PM

The MoD Plod have the same powers as civvy plod and it depends on their CO or other gadgy in charge if they're allowed off camp to play. It could be said that they have more powers as most of them have big guns tucked under their arms or strapped to their sides!

It appears that the Highways Authority allow the contractors to close the roads and then sometimes issue a TRO in retrospect....

catman - 22/1/13 at 07:24 PM

we do quite a bit of tree felling on highway verges. I am lead to believe it depends on the class of roads as to who can close them and for how long. you can close a B road for up to 5 mins any longer and it would cause problems to emergency services

Ed

Ninehigh - 22/1/13 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jps
Interestingly police powers to control traffic can be accredited to other agencies, hence in Essex it is possible to practically 'close roads' for cycle racing, although in reality it is not a closed road, just controlled traffic...

I'd have thought most of the closures would come under this