Board logo

any good deals for 50m extension cables?
gregf27 - 26/1/11 at 10:21 PM

Am looking to buy a 50m 240v drum extension cable , anyone know of any good deals around at the min??
cheers

MikeR - 26/1/11 at 11:07 PM

Thats a heck of an extension - be careful how much power you put through it, you'll get a (reletively) lot of restistance and volt drop. Probably ok for 95% of all uses but just mentioning before you try putting 3.5kw through it and something melts.

ps 35 quid ish on amazon for a silverline version.

[Edited on 26/1/11 by MikeR]

balidey - 27/1/11 at 08:05 AM

£42 at toolstation.
Last time I bought a long one was from Argos, but to be honest it felt cheap (mainly the drum and stand) and I wished I have spent some more and got a better quality one from either Toolstation or Screwfix.

Peteff - 27/1/11 at 12:59 PM

Buy a drum of 4.0mm or 2.5mm Arctic cable and put a plug on one end and a socket on the other. Don't use it rolled up at all if you are welding off it. A 50 metre cable will be heavy are you sure you need that much?

JoelP - 27/1/11 at 01:17 PM

50m of 2.5mm 3 core arctic is over £50. But, the cable was always going to be the most expensive part. Id make one myself and spec it as tight as possible for what you want it for - if temporary and low load, consider a roll of 1mm t&e cable, for under £20.

BenB - 27/1/11 at 02:44 PM

Just be careful if it's not fully unravelled. My last reel got had a rating of 3A wound, 13A unwound. My wife managed to put 26A through it wound.

It sure got hot The innermost 6-7" were just a mass of fused, melted cable.

scudderfish - 27/1/11 at 04:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Just be careful if it's not fully unravelled. My last reel got had a rating of 3A wound, 13A unwound. My wife managed to put 26A through it wound.

It sure got hot The innermost 6-7" were just a mass of fused, melted cable.

Even more fun when you try and switch it off, and the collapsing magnetic field induces enough current to weld the switch contacts together.