Board logo

Ex-Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher dies, aged 87
Jasper - 8/4/13 at 11:57 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

[Edited on 8/4/2013 by ChrisW]

mookaloid - 8/4/13 at 12:03 PM

She was a great leader and just what the country needed at the time.

She did great things for this Country and I think that calling her names at this point is in very poor taste.

scudderfish - 8/4/13 at 12:12 PM

It is as valid to express displeasure in someone in death as in life. Given that people spend more time dead than alive, it's more likely as well. She divided the country, and years on there are still very strongly held opinions on whether that was a good or a bad thing. Her death does not mean that some of those opinions are now less worthy or should not be mentioned.

liam.mccaffrey - 8/4/13 at 12:17 PM

Elvis Costello "Tramp the dirt down" was a strongly worded song about Mrs T
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t4-zDem1Sk

[Edited on 8/4/13 by liam.mccaffrey]

tomprescott - 8/4/13 at 12:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

She did great things for this Country and I think that calling her names at this point is in very poor taste.

Well at least she won't be turning in her grave, after all, the lady's not for turning!

Seriously though, even though I think she did a pretty fantastic job and that a lot of our current issues would be solved if the last few governments had followed through with the precedent she set, I also have to agree with the comments above - the death of a person should not have an impact on the way you treat them (presumably OP would have called her names if she had come up under other circumstances!?)
ETA: You heard that joke here first!

[Edited on 8/4/13 by tomprescott]

mookaloid - 8/4/13 at 12:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

Well at least she won't be turning in her grave, after all, the lady's not for turning!

Seriously though, even though I think she did a pretty fantastic job and that a lot of our current issues would be solved if the last few governments had followed through with the precedent she set, I also have to agree with the comments above - the death of a person should not have an impact on the way you treat them (presumably OP would have called her names if she had come up under other circumstances!?)
ETA: You heard that joke here first!

[Edited on 8/4/13 by tomprescott]

Well I have no issue with free speech etc but does the insult have to be the title of the thread?

Perhaps out fo respect the OP would consider editing his post? If not I think this is one of those rare occasions where a bit of sensible moderation should be implemented.

Irony - 8/4/13 at 12:45 PM

Quite sad about this. She was a great women.

Dingz - 8/4/13 at 01:04 PM

quote:

She did great things for this Country and I think that calling her names at this point is in very poor taste

Umm you mean pretty much divided the country, destroyed industries and replaced the UK economy with one based on financial services and banking. What a great idea! I'm sure it will work

scottfraser - 8/4/13 at 01:07 PM

I was living in Scotland when families had to split up when the pol tax was brought in. Also the enterprise zones that were started up with tax breaks for the companies that moved in. When the time limit on the zones passed, the companies moved out creating unemployment blackspots, and that was after unemployment was more than 20% where I lived.

I want a country that has properly run service industries, those being the gas, electric, and train services. I don't feel comfortable having these services we all need being put out for profit. What it has meant is that we are now in a situation where the majority shareholders of our needed services are in foreign ownership run for their ends and profit. It bumps up all of our costs.

Then there's the deregulation of the banks that got us all into the latest mess.

The closing of the majority of our coal mines meaning we have to import coal for power from China etc.

Really not a fan of her politics in any way.

Really sad that a family has lost their mother, no matter what her politics were.

JoelP - 8/4/13 at 01:08 PM

I logged on to say, 'Let the ignorant comments commence!', since there would surely be a thread about it, and lo and behold, they began in the title.

The thing I find most annoying is people who know nothing about the subject commenting just because it's trendy to hate on thatcher, just like all the stupid comments on Facebook about tories or austerity. That's not aimed at you Jasper, for all I know you might have degrees in politics, history and economics.

motorcycle_mayhem - 8/4/13 at 01:10 PM

She was not one for printing money, I'm assuming the OP is happier that his children and their children will be suffereing for many years.
She created a superb industry-led growth, the Queen of the Biotechnology Sector, etc. I assume the current dependancy on cheap printed money is preferable, as are the escalating public sector costs and uncontrolled greed.
I assume the OP prefers the current divisions in society, those working and slaughtered to pay for those who do not. Those who have their head in the trough of public money, through extortionist Companies and benefit-fuelled Landlords, the public money poured into support over-leveraged Financial Institutions.
She evicted a foreign force from British Territory, I guess the Bliar contrived 'war(s)' are preferable to the OP.

Her Society wasn't so bad. This greed 'Society' isn't exactly great. I guess if your head is in trough, it's better than my perspective.

She did however make (in my opinion) one very big mistake, and yes, I protested, angrily. I was, however allowed to, I was neither 'kettled' nor arrested for Terrorism.

Not Anumber - 8/4/13 at 01:22 PM

I met her once when i happened to be working at the Palace of Westminster lugging some books and papers- which i promptly dropped whilst trying to jump out of the way of her official Daimler.

Not a word from the driver whose fault it was but i was flabbergasted when instead of just getting in to the car Mrs Thatcher actually walked round to the back and asked if I was ok. She waited whilst i picked everything up, glared at the driver and then chatted with me about this, that and the other before she got into the car, then surprised me further by waving.

I strongly disliked most of her policies and would never have voted for her but I must say she was actually as nice as pie to meet.

Quite surreal

Jasper - 8/4/13 at 01:33 PM

Well we are a sensitive bunch aren't we, you must be personal friends or family to get so upset!

se7en - 8/4/13 at 01:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Well we are a sensitive bunch aren't we, you must be personal friends or family to get so upset!

Indeed, so much so that they changed the title of the thread!

scootz - 8/4/13 at 01:39 PM

Never saw your original post, so can't comment directly... I guess it wasn't - erm - complimentary?

Jasper - 8/4/13 at 01:47 PM

All I said was 'The Wicked Witch is dead' - hardly controversial one would think, but then I hadn't banked on the hard core Tory car builders who were obviously close friends

Strange how a picture of a near naked women bending over as an avatar is deemed as fine, but to make a light hearted comment about the passing of a very controversial figure in not.

[Edited on 8/4/13 by Jasper]

bauermannv8 - 8/4/13 at 01:47 PM

Ohh yes,

the iron lady, she was called !!

ok than, with all respect,

rust in peace http://locostbuilders.co.uk/images//smilies/cool.gif

whitestu - 8/4/13 at 02:04 PM

Having been a miner at the time of the 84/85 strike she wasn't my favourite person. Having said that what she did with the unions isn't what bothers me, it's what she did to the economy that was really barmy, and typically short sighted. It might have seemed like a good idea at time, but like most things that seem like a good idea at the time it turned out not to be.

David Jenkins - 8/4/13 at 02:07 PM

I like Mike Harding's description of her: "She's the sort of woman who, when you were a kid, would never give you your ball back!"

Whatever I thought of her when she was Prime Minister, dementia is a horrible way to spend your final years...

[Edited on 8/4/13 by David Jenkins]

nige - 8/4/13 at 02:11 PM

if you disliked her in life
you cant suddenly like her now she,s dead
ive worked in the steel industry all my life
and that was a difficult period
she,s not liked round here

[Edited on 8/4/13 by nige]

loggyboy - 8/4/13 at 02:31 PM

I was a little too young to understand or be directly influenced by political goings on in the 80s, (I was 3 months old when she came to power, and 11yrs old when she left) but I do recal the years following her leaving, my family had the most prosperous and confortable times. (mainly because my dad worked hard) but I beleive it was beacuse she left the country in pretty good state. Sadly I think the 80s were the era that the 'workers of britain' demanded too much for too little and destroyed the manufacturering industry that britain was built on.

[Edited on 8-4-13 by loggyboy]

britishtrident - 8/4/13 at 02:56 PM

Much of what she did was right and much she of what she did was wrong, but she believed in what she was doing and stuck to her beliefs and could make decisions which is something that deserves respect.

Jon Ison - 8/4/13 at 03:25 PM

No comment.

Alfa145 - 8/4/13 at 03:25 PM

She was voted in by the majority of voters, so there lies the blame...And they kept voting her in....

And I'm sure she wasn't a one woman band, there was a whole cabinet and other voted in politicians helping make those decisions...

Look at it a different way:
Today someone lost a mother. Those that have lost a mother will know what it's like and those that haven't will probably find out one day.

JC - 8/4/13 at 03:43 PM

I am very sorry to hear this. Those of us who were around should remember the mess this country was in during the 70s and how the unions held every industry to ransom. She stood up for what she believed in and we should all respect her for that, regardless of what we personally think of her views. The country is an emptier place without her.

Confused but excited. - 8/4/13 at 03:57 PM

Well whatever you think of her, the fact is that the exchequer is now three grand a week better off.

perksy - 8/4/13 at 04:22 PM

Resisting the chance to comment as i quite like it on here and don't fancy getting banned

Lets just say i wasn't a fan......

Peteff - 8/4/13 at 04:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.Well whatever you think of her, the fact is that the exchequer is now three grand a week better off.

There's always an up side

mark chandler - 8/4/13 at 05:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JC
I am very sorry to hear this. Those of us who were around should remember the mess this country was in during the 70s and how the unions held every industry to ransom. She stood up for what she believed in and we should all respect her for that, regardless of what we personally think of her views. The country is an emptier place without her.

As above, industry was going, if not gone down the pan. Unions were holding the country to ransom and we needed someone strong and resolute to sort things out, Mrs Thatcher.

She was voted in twice with a majority, I can remember sitting in the kitchen, power out due to strikes sitting around candles so it's no wonder they nationalised that sector.

She was a great woman whatever your political choices.

britishtrident - 8/4/13 at 06:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alfa145
She was voted in by the majority of voters, so there lies the blame...And they kept voting her in....

And I'm sure she wasn't a one woman band, there was a whole cabinet and other voted in politicians helping make those decisions...

Look at it a different way:
Today someone lost a mother. Those that have lost a mother will know what it's like and those that haven't will probably find out one day.

In the case of Carol Thatcher it obvious she cared deeply about her mother.

snapper - 8/4/13 at 06:32 PM

She turned my old man from right of Attila the Hun to left of Trotsky in two terms
Her death will divide opinion and old divisions will emerge once more.
David Cameron said
"Margaret Thatcher could only dream of the changes we are making"
You have your opinion
I have mine
If you post your opinion don't be surprised when people disagree

splitrivet - 8/4/13 at 06:46 PM

I remember going to work on different companies sites through her reign and seeing them all slowly wind down and disapear the machine tool industry of the west midlands our manufacturing base and boat loads of others never to return again and to be replaced with imports. All for a dogma and a perceived service economy which we are paying the price for now and will for years on end.
What replaced it, letting rip with credit, greed and financial w@nking, those that think she did a good job must be living on another planet.
One thing alone kept her in office after her first term that was the Falklands she was on the way out till that kicked in. If it had happened 12 months after it did we wouldnt have had the armed forces to do the job thanks to her cuts so it was a bit ironic. If her then Government had there eye on the ball the Argies wouldnt attempted to invade in the first place, personally I think it tragic that a load of young fellas gave thier lives in the debacle of the so called war that she could reap the benefits.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 8/4/13 by splitrivet]

Dangle_kt - 8/4/13 at 06:52 PM

Wonder if this will get edited....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-4FJcnX0i8

As you can see its a view shared by MANY in a number of areas of the country which feel she did not have their best interests, or their childrens in mind when she made a lot of her choices.

It's not my view by the way (I'm too sweet, young and innocent) - I just think it shows how strong the feelings run about the woman in some parts of the country.

02GF74 - 8/4/13 at 07:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scottfraser

The closing of the majority of our coal mines meaning we have to import coal for power from China etc.

Why do you think the coal mines were closed? Maybe perhaps it was costing tax payers to keep them open i.e. uneconomical in the sense that cheaper coal could be purchased from overseas?

Would anyone be happpy to pay 2x or 3x more tax to keep the coal industry, steel industry and car industry going? I doubt it. 'fraid you can't have it both ways.

I was too young to really take notice of what was going on but can't say I was a fan. I lost all faith in politicians when I saw her standing in front of the camera and having no problem with the troops going off to the Falklands and subsequent deaths but when her d***head son, Mark, was reported missing for just 2 days when taking part in an Afrtican rally, she was on camera in tears!

wilkingj - 8/4/13 at 07:25 PM

Like her or Loathe her. That is up to the individual.
However, I am sure that everyone will agree, that she had more Balls than the rest of her cabinet.
At least she led, and wasnt led!
A country need a leader NOT a wet tea towel for a leader.

In politics, you cant please all the people all the time.

britishtrident - 8/4/13 at 07:33 PM

She modelled herself on Churchill and copied his decisiveness and resoluteness in adversity but failed to understand his most important character traits magnanimity, compassion and generosity in victory.

Peteff - 8/4/13 at 07:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74Why do you think the coal mines were closed?

Because Conservatives didn't like to see working class people making too much money Turning UK into a country run by banks and keeping London as the centre of commerce has been their only aim for a long time.

swanny - 8/4/13 at 08:44 PM

i think there is a big difference between liking the way she did things, decisiveness, taking on foreigners (always good to win an upcoming election) and liking what she actually did, lettig the market decide the future of your people, selling off national assets to overseas investors (countries in many cases) and deciding to go to war, not just with the argies, but the unions, for political rather than rational reasons.

in years to come when the working class have had a few more decades of being systematically taken for a ride by big business (and the government have topped up their below living standard wages to allow ever higher profits for their mates) we might look back at the dismantling she started as the start of the end.

who knows in the end they may have to invent unions again.

off to enjoy my glass of milk now

se7en - 8/4/13 at 09:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
All I said was 'The Wicked Witch is dead' - hardly controversial one would think, but then I hadn't banked on the hard core Tory car builders who were obviously close friends

Strange how a picture of a near naked women bending over as an avatar is deemed as fine, but to make a light hearted comment about the passing of a very controversial figure in not.

[Edited on 8/4/13 by Jasper]

Hey, leave my lady out of it; at least she is not made of iron

britishtrident - 8/4/13 at 09:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74Why do you think the coal mines were closed?

Because Conservatives didn't like to see working class people making too much money Turning UK into a country run by banks and keeping London as the centre of commerce has been their only aim for a long time.

Prior to 1984 the Miners, Steel Workers and rail unions were trying to run the run the country, they had brought the country to a standstill in the winter of 1973-74 and brought down a moderate Conservative government. The unions found themselves at war with the Labour government they themselves had put in power. As a result the Labour government elected was fighting an internal war between moderates and its' own "loony left" a situation that was not unlike the back stabbing wet v dry war within the Conservative party in the next decade.

Mrs Thatcher got elected got us into a war because she didn't pay attention to the reports coming from Port Stanley and took the credit because with a lot of ingenuity and a bit of support from the USA our armed forces and merchant navy won them back.

So Mrs Thatcher got re-elected and with Arthur Scargill became president of the NUM we had a perfect storm. As later events were to prove Scargill was more interested in his own personal agenda than his members interests, and as a tactician we was no match for Mrs Thatcher. Mrs Thatcher lured Scargill's men into a killing ground she had prepared by building up coal stocks and giving the police a massive pay rise. Thatcher was also very lucky the summer of 1984 was long and hot and much demand for electricity could be met from hydro, nuclear, and oil and gas stations, add the coal coming from non-NUM pits and as a result the strike was ineffective and could probably would have run for another 6+ months before the country ground to a halt.

However such was Mrs Thatcher's hatred for the unions she destroyed the steel and mines completely closing viable steel plants and even the profitable mines that had supported her through the strike.

Ninehigh - 8/4/13 at 10:14 PM

Actually, despite knowing nothing of what her policies did (too young) maybe a strong leader marching in the wrong direction is better than a wishy washy pansy leader bumbling their way in the right direction.

Dangle_kt - 8/4/13 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Actually, despite knowing nothing of what her policies did (too young) maybe a strong leader marching in the wrong direction is better than a wishy washy pansy leader bumbling their way in the right direction.

errrr...sounds disturbing close to a dictatorship.

A short fella with a chaplin tash did a cracking job of what you describe...

loggyboy - 8/4/13 at 11:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
I lost all faith in politicians when I saw her standing in front of the camera and having no problem with the troops going off to the Falklands and subsequent deaths but when her d***head son, Mark, was reported missing for just 2 days when taking part in an Afrtican rally, she was on camera in tears!

You expect a mother to care more or the same for people whose CHOSEN job is to risk their life, than her own flesh and blood. He may have indeed been a dick, but god help your children if thats how you think parenting works!

britishtrident - 8/4/13 at 11:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh

Or as Mel Brookes put it "Come along now be a smartie ____ ___ ____ ___ ____ "

britishtrident - 8/4/13 at 11:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
I lost all faith in politicians when I saw her standing in front of the camera and having no problem with the troops going off to the Falklands and subsequent deaths but when her d***head son, Mark, was reported missing for just 2 days when taking part in an Afrtican rally, she was on camera in tears!

You expect a mother to care more or the same for people whose CHOSEN job is to risk their life, than her own flesh and blood. He may have indeed been a dick, but god help your children if thats how you think parenting works!

Mark Thatcher arms dealer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7320790.stm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/mark-thatcher-accused-sources-say-he-got-12m-pounds-from-arms-deal-signed-by-his-mother-1441851.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/mark-thatcher-admits-coup-plot-charge-6155042.html

bobinspain - 9/4/13 at 08:28 AM

What's indisputable is that she was a grocer's daughter who went on to LEAD the country for 11 years. Whatever you think of her politics, she was certainly a 'conviction politician,' unlike the wishy washy "Cast Iron" Dave and his silver-spooned ilk.

What I find despicable are the vitriolic personal attacks and the rejoicing in her death. Ill considerd remarks from low-lifes about her being "evil" and the like. (Where does that put Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot?)

British Trident got the genesis of the miners´strike spot on. (Read the Sunday Times Insight Team's expose of how the Marxist Scargill walked straight into the trap Mrs T had set for him).

Derek ´Degsy´Hatton was on tv this morning bleating about the "greed" of the Thatcher years. Trotskyist, turned property developer, those old enough to do so, will recall Hatton as deputy leader of Liverpool Council, famous of cruising the City´s streets in his BMW (reg DEG5Y). He now drives a 60k Range Rover, (how very egalitarian). His comments have been echoed by such luminaries as Morrissey, Ken Livingstone and Marc Almond. Says all you need to know really.

As the old maxim goes, "If you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all."

Jasper - 9/4/13 at 08:59 AM

And finally ................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jn8K8EA7-Q

Enjoy

Theshed - 9/4/13 at 09:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bobinspain
What's indisputable is that she was a grocer's daughter who went on to LEAD the country for 11 years. Whatever you think of her politics, she was certainly a 'conviction politician,' unlike the wishy washy "Cast Iron" Dave and his silver-spooned ilk.

What I find despicable are the vitriolic personal attacks and the rejoicing in her death. Ill considerd remarks from low-lifes about her being "evil" and the like. (Where does that put Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot?)

British Trident got the genesis of the miners´strike spot on. (Read the Sunday Times Insight Team's expose of how the Marxist Scargill walked straight into the trap Mrs T had set for him).

Derek ´Degsy´Hatton was on tv this morning bleating about the "greed" of the Thatcher years. Trotskyist, turned property developer, those old enough to do so, will recall Hatton as deputy leader of Liverpool Council, famous of cruising the City´s streets in his BMW (reg DEG5Y). He now drives a 60k Range Rover, (how very egalitarian). His comments have been echoed by such luminaries as Morrissey, Ken Livingstone and Marc Almond. Says all you need to know really.

No person attacks in the above?

Probably best if I say nothing then....

bobinspain - 9/4/13 at 12:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Theshed
quote:
Originally posted by bobinspain

No person attacks in the above?

Probably best if I say nothing then....

Try reading it again and tell me what's not factually correct. You'll be hard pressed to do so.

DarrenW - 9/4/13 at 02:43 PM

The very fact she gets spoken about so passionately (positively or negatively) speaks volumes. Love her or hate her, very few would deny to admire her in one way or another. Being a politician is a strange choice of career, defo one that is guaranteed to win you some hate mail from at least half of the country. The one thing no-one will ever know is what would have happened to the country if she did not get into power. We can speculate but i suspect there would be one or 2 more bad effects than good. Im no expert in politics so done desire to start an argument on this, but as said before, at least she had some balls.

Whatever we may all think of her professionally, at the end of the day she is a person and rightly deserves some dignity in her death (as does her family).

will_08 - 9/4/13 at 05:39 PM

Rest in peace Mrs Thatcher

Was mining the future for Britain? what a joke.

God bless the Falklands, god bless Northern Ireland. No Surrender!

woodster - 10/4/13 at 11:04 AM

A great great leader and shame on those at the time in her party that stabbed her in the back ...... RIP MRS T

Jasper - 10/4/13 at 02:14 PM

Yup - RIP along with your best mate Augusto Pinochet

coozer - 10/4/13 at 02:21 PM

She called football suporters feral
She called miners the enemy within
Called the rest moaning minnies..

She destroyed communities, closed the mines, shipyards and if anyone remembers the 17% mortgage rate??

So, all this is no good to me as she came to power when I was 17..

Good riddance, I only wish it had been a long lingering painful end..

CNHSS1 - 10/4/13 at 02:28 PM

my two penneth...

at 41 years old, I sort of remember John Cravens Newsround etc on about the miners strike, soup kitchens etc.

I have no political allegiance or interest and that's remarkably similar of my generation, and certainly those subsequent generations. The general concensus is all politicians are corrupt to some degree, and out for theoir own ends or just to get into power for another term, and are all rather similar in their policies irrespective of party. From what I understand prior to the thatcher years, Labour and Tory were actually different parties ;-)

im in the camp of a strong leader will invariably do more good than harm, but its naïve to expect ANY human to get everything right all the time.

it has to be said that under the Thatcher regime we prospered as a nation financially in the main, and we saw off Johnny Foreigners aggressive advance too.

Maybe the likes of Afganistan etc would have been different if we'd gone in tough like the Falklands and not spent a few years drawing increasing numbers of retreating lines in the sand...

the worlds full of Do-ers and talkers, currently we have the country inundated with the latter but not many of the former.

T66 - 10/4/13 at 02:56 PM

The Thatcher government was also very involved in reducing HM forces numbers,, less men and machines across the services. The tough stance on the Falklands was a massive gamble, something which the highly trained poorly equipped servicemen of the 80s, dealt with in our usual Brit fashion.

It could of easily gone wrong, they didnt have enough ships to move guys south and were forced to requisition private ships.

They had virtually no means of extended aircraft operations, no RAF tankers, hardly any helicopters. The ground forces were poorly equipped for the cold weather, with limited vehicle support due to the terrain.

I lost my first home to the 16% mortgage interest rates, negative equity, debt collectors, and so far into the red with my mortgage I cringe now.

Respect needs to be shown at the passing of anyone's life in the civilized world, but the throwing of parties is in poor taste. And to Ronnie Campbell MP who complained this morning about the cost of recalling parliament, claim this weeks expenses Ronnie and donate them to charity you hypocrite.

Controversial in life, controversial on death - RIP

JoelP - 15/4/13 at 07:17 AM

As well as the high interest rates, one should also remember that inflation peaked at 27% in 1975. To bring this down, interest rates had to go up. You should be moaning at the dithering preceeding administrations that allowed it to rise so high in the first place.

scootz - 15/4/13 at 09:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Good riddance, I only wish it had been a long lingering painful end...

I'm from a working-class background. I saw the devastation Thatchers battles with the miners had on the community around me. I've never been a fan of hers and will rail against some of her policies all day long.

Thatcher will go down as one of the most divisive UK leaders of all time, but the rhetoric being spouted on both sides of 'the debate' is just plain ridiculous. More fool anyone who sits stubbornly and fully on either side of the issue as the truth clearly lies somewhere in between. She presided over a lot of bad things... she presided over a lot of good things.

And let's be clear about something... the standard of living for most UK citizens gradually improved during her tenure.

It simply depresses me when seemingly intelligent folk come out with disgusting comments like the one I've quoted. Is that the type of Britain the Thatcher-despisers were hoping to build... one where it's acceptable to wish that a (now) harmless elderly lady - a mother - died a long and painful death!?

I want no part of it.

Shame on you!

onenastyviper - 15/4/13 at 09:25 AM

Thatcher - an architipal (spelling?) politician, so much so that so many try to emulate something which they believe will bring them power and influence.

Politics is all about looking after yourself and where the laws of unintended consequences rule.

Take the coal strikes for example:

Unions had too much power
so Politicans had to act to regain control
so Unions counterattacked
so politicians counterattacked
so unions outmanouvered
so politicians prevailed
so politicians enacted to prevent reoccurrence
so country moved from local to global finance in order to remove/limit effects of internal disturbances
so country exposed to global changes which politicians could not affect
so now banks have too much power
so Politicians had to act to regain control
but politicians understood which side of their bread is buttered
so hammered the public instead of their paymasters

...and the same processes repeat ad-nauseum with only the scenery changing.

Anyway, ask yourself what is so special about Thatcher that she deserves full state honours but those killed in the line of duty have to do something exceptional to deserve the same?

Who is more deserving, the person that gives the order or the person that follows the order knowing the potential consequences?

Confused but excited. - 15/4/13 at 12:41 PM

Mrs. thatcher did wonders for a small island's economy.
Unfortunately, that island was Japan.
Coozer, I'm stunned to see that remark on here.
I personally despised her but would not wish a lingering painful death on anyone, having once witnessed it.