Board logo

Zetec Misfire and Garage Pixies!!
Bumble - 28/8/12 at 06:38 PM

Used the car a week ago....has been running perfectly. Put it away in the garage, gone to use it tonight and it is misfiring badly - what the hell happened. Haven't had a good shifty yet but changed the HT leads - no difference, changed the coil - no difference. Haven't got any spare plugs to try so just ordered some. It's a 2.0 Zetec on TB's running Megasquirt. Has been perfect for the last year since passing IVA until tonight!!
Any pointers?

[Edited on 28/8/12 by Bumble]

austin man - 28/8/12 at 07:18 PM

crank sensor may need cleaning or bad connection , TPS switch on carbs may need resetting

madteg - 28/8/12 at 07:58 PM

COIL DRIVERS, One has broke down i had it happen to me. Ordered some new bosch ones from DIY auto tune in US. Sorted it out, if you need some i have a spare set, you can have them for what they cost me. ( Check voltage on both sides of the low tension side of coil.

Bumble - 28/8/12 at 11:00 PM

Fixed it.....turned out to be a chaffed wire to the air temp sensor. MS was reading -20 deg C and massively over fuelling!
Fixed sensor cable! All perfect again!!

Dusty - 28/8/12 at 11:33 PM

If you run a zetec rich for too long it kills the plugs. Also note plug gap was changed by Ford to 1mm from the original 1.3mm which kills coils.
Can you set your default air temperature to 20 in case of sensor failure?

[Edited on 28/8/12 by Dusty]