Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT fail!
alister667

posted on 22/3/04 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
MOT fail!

My car *almost* passed it's MOT! (Talk about putting a positive spin on things!)
The big bolt that goes through the rear nearside upright wasn't torqued properly leaving the wheel with a little play.
I took a 19mm wrench and tightened it at the MOT test centre, but they couldn't get anyone to re-test it there and then because most of the other MOT centres in N. Ireland are on strike - and they're flat out! I have to ring up tomorrow and see if they have any cancellations.
I'm happy enought though becuase there was nothing seriously wrong - it was a simple fix and should be a simple re-test.
I had about 10 testers crowded around the car wanting to know what it was. One guy was going to fail it because it had no wipers, but his friends explained the 'no windscreen' thing to him!
The tester I had was sound - except for the fact he kept stalling her - he was dead on.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 22/3/04 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
excellent news! next thing is the sva groan! sent away my form yesterday.
alister667

posted on 22/3/04 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
My SVA date is booked from about a month ago - 22nd April.
Roll on oh happy day!

It's worth noting that MKs Ireland agent hasn't got in touch with me since the exhaust debacle.
If I had been relying on him I'd be up the creek without a re-test as it were.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 22/3/04 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Alister
good news and good look with the sva
my sva is on the 19 april seems a long time to wait

Crazy Jay

posted on 22/3/04 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Well done amigo on building a nice car, hard luck tho on the bastard mot. U still gonna be at kirkistone next sunday?? Wat time u gonna b there at cause me and paul are going to see this beast of yours. Later
macspeedy

posted on 22/3/04 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
well done not long now!
alister667

posted on 22/3/04 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've been told to get to Kirkiston early (9am or so) but I've been told that they won't let BECs out until after 12:30pm - due to noise restrictions! A couple of hours enforced tyre kicking then. I am looking forward to it I must say.

j30fos

posted on 23/3/04 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Alister, why are you going for a re-test at the MOT station, you dont need an MOT. The MOT really is just a pre test for the SVA. I got mine registered with no MOT cert.

But saying that a re-test is free and its another drive in it

All I can say is just wait until its legal, man are you going to have fun, BEC are mental

alister667

posted on 23/3/04 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Mmmm. I *was* pretty sure that because mine is going to be a 'Q' plate it did require an MOT before final registration and taxation.
As I understood it only if you got a new registration plate you could avoid the MOT for 3 years.
Mind you now that I think about it I can't remember where I heard this.
Maybe I just assumed I needed the MOT??
Anyone else care to comment????

timcrasher

posted on 23/3/04 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
mot requirements

Hi Alister,
I am at a similar stage to you, in that I am trying to get my car registered etc. I was unsure if an MOT was required, so I rang my local D.V.L.A. office. I was told that I needed an MOT as well as a SVA test, (which I found odd ! ), and was advised by the very helpfull man to get this done before the SVA.
The only problem I am having is that nobody seems interested in doing the MOT. They all think I am trying to do something dodgy but getting an MOT on the frame number!!!
Hope you get sorted

Cheers Tim

alister667

posted on 23/3/04 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Jay
Well done amigo on building a nice car, hard luck tho on the bastard mot. U still gonna be at kirkistone next sunday?? Wat time u gonna b there at cause me and paul are going to see this beast of yours. Later

Bear in mind if it's raining hard I may well decide to stay at home and stay dry!

j30fos

posted on 24/3/04 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Strange, I've just got mine registered on an L reg and the MOT wasn't needed, I even asked if an MOT was needed, she just said that the SVA pass cert is plenty, it shows me that the car has been tested and road worthy. All I can say Alister is check with the DVLA office that your going to get it registered with, it may vary across the country.

Good luck with your SVA in April. On the road for summer!!!!

Hellfire

posted on 24/3/04 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
John,

how did you manage to get it registered on an L??

j30fos

posted on 24/3/04 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent
Hellfire

posted on 24/3/04 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
U2U replied

garage19

posted on 24/3/04 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ok Hellfire, J30fos, i want in on this secret A later reg sounds good to me!!
Any chance of a U2U, will keep it to my self.

Doug.

alister667

posted on 24/3/04 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Did someone make up their own chassis number ?

If so - good luck and well done!!

OX

posted on 24/3/04 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
yip i made up my chassis number,17 digits long and the nice lady at shrewsbury said yes not a problem ,i just had to change an i for a 1

alister667

posted on 24/3/04 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
If I was building another one I think that's what I'd do!

ChrisBradley04

posted on 24/3/04 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
With regards to the MOT, logically everyone should have to get one before registration as the SVA and MOT check different things.

For example, you can (and I did) pass SVA with bald tyres as they only check rating etc. I was advised during my SVA that I would fail an MOT but the SVA examiner was powerless to do anything (and that felt good)

That said, just registered mine today on an '04 plate without an MOT, so i'm pleased that these people don't use logic as the basis for their processes.

Regards
Chris

www.fisherfury.com

j30fos

posted on 25/3/04 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Well done Chris, so its all done now then. Have you een out in it yet?

What do you think of it

ChrisBradley04

posted on 27/3/04 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
John,
Yes it is absolutely fantastic. I had the suspension geometry set up and the car corner weighted before driving and it is quite unbelievable. I am still in shock from the driving experience around Bruntingthorpe yesterday.

I still need to learn to drive it though as I could do about 70mph around the tight U-shaped corners flat out, where as the 'real' drivers were doing 104mph and looking more controlled!!

I got some great pictures of the car now it's finished. I've posted them on my site in the latest March build diary. Let me know what you think when you get a chance.

Regards
Chris

www.fisherfury.com

j30fos

posted on 28/3/04 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, the car looks spot on, mixing it celebs then hey :-)) Just came back for a blast out with Ox and his brother and MK Ninja at J&S in Manchester, the weather stayed very nice and the drive home was great, slidding all over the shop ( heavy right foot :-). Looking forward to the next Kit car show :-)

speak soon

[Edited on 29/3/04 by j30fos]

greggors84

posted on 28/3/04 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, how did you get the 04 plate? Was it made from all new parts?

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

ChrisBradley04

posted on 28/3/04 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
I used a recon diff as my one reconditioned part. The rest is new.

To be honest they were very easy going about it and didn't even ask for evidence of the reconditioning.

Regards
Chris

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.