Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dax V's Indy
Moorron

posted on 30/6/08 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Dax V's Indy

Morning lads.

I have an odd question that I can’t be arsed to research myself but you lot may know. Out of all the sevens I think the Dax rush looks the best by far, it looks lower, wider and more aggressive then any of the others. Why is this, I can’t put my finger on it or is it just that it’s lower and wider?

To me the things I can see are
1, rear arches they look wider and are more curved. Maybe positioned higher up so the top of them end up flush with the rear tub.
2, front arches look very thin, or have little rolled edge to them
3, headlights and mounting
4, rear roll hoop is usually sloped on the passenger’s side.
5, most have split rims on.

What else is there?

I love my Indy, it’s a great car but I just can’t help looking at a Dax and seeing how much more brute it looks. I wanted to know what differences there are ‘just’ incase I swapped some bits to make a hybrid.

PS, I am not thinking of selling up.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

omega0684

posted on 30/6/08 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Its just cuz Dax's are just F*****in awesome!

no need to get techincal!

mind you i am slightly one sided. seriously though, the aggresive stance on the road is due to the 14" rear wheel arches! i think the closest ive seen to that is 11" on the mk & westys. the arches are ever so slightly slanted as well which helps with the beafy look.

best shot ive got of the rear arch, if only they sold burgers as fat as those arches at Maccy d's, i changed the front arches for some carbon fibre ones as i thought that they were a little too thin and i lost one out on a blast once

[Edited on 30/6/08 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 30/6/08 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
some have 255 ruber on the rear 205 front .

They use Standard shafts and diff ( Dedion - mostly ) so rear track must be similar.

I was very close to buying a dax but could not fit in the LWB.

Oh i belive fitting the rear arches is fun

There are quite a few DAxers on here so I am sure they will correct me.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/6/08 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
surely the main difference is the price?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mave

posted on 30/6/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I agree, and think it is because the shape of the bodywork contains more horizontal lines (bonnet, nose and scuttle "flatter" on top, hole in nose more rectangular in shape.

That's why I used the contours of the Dax bonnet to create the custom bodywork on my Indy. And added Rush front and rear arches. Still I don't have the exact same wide feeling when I look at it, but I'm sure it's because of the relatively narrow nose on mine.

garage19

posted on 30/6/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Thats the best looking Indy...infact seven i've ever seen.

Can we have some more details.

Do you still have the molds? How was the windscreen constructed?

On the topic of DAXs they do look good but they always seem to have very silly roll bars that would offer little of no protection in the event of a roll.

mcerd1

posted on 30/6/08 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
they don't have to have that roll bar

you can order them with symetrical ones (like mine - see my avitar) or the RAC spec ones and you can also add the braces / side intrusion bars

the wide rear wheels are
I've got 9"x16" (ET0) with 245/45's for mine

quote:
DIMENSIONS:
Length - 3310mm (or 3385mm in extended wheelbase form)
Width - 1855mm, with wide rear wheels
Width - 1795mm, with narrower rear wheel option
Height - 1020mm
Wheelbase - 2310mm (or 2385mm in extended wheelbase form)
Front Track - wheel centreline to wheel centreline - 1496mm
Rear Track - wheel centreline to wheel centreline 1530mm (with 9"wide x 16"dia. wheels)
Rear Track - 1511mm (with 8.5"wide x 16"dia. wheels)

garage19

posted on 30/6/08 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Just for reference my Indy has a rear width of 1660mm with 7" wide 32mm offset 15" cossie wheels.

Mave

posted on 30/6/08 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
@garage19: details can be found on my website clicky

But in short; windscreen was custommade (slightly curved). Mould of nose is still alive, but I'm considering making a new (better) mould by pulling it of this nose. If I don't sell the car this summer.

Rallye_Mark

posted on 30/6/08 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Those are the exact rear wings im looking for, my car will be running 8 inch wide compomotive ML's which have an offest of -12, and when I fitted them to Macspeedy's Locost the other day they poked out about 2inch to the end of the tread and 3 inches to the furthest out point.

Are these available from the Dax website?

Cheers Mark

chrsgrain

posted on 30/6/08 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Dax don't do web orders - just phone and ask for Simon... bear in mind they do 2 different width arches - wide and very wide! By the way, neither are cheap!

I think the Dax looks great as a package, mess with any of the bits and the whole thing falls apart - the lights and front mudguards and everything adds up and shouldn't be messed with!!! (IMHO!)

Description
Description

Yes - it needs either more spacers, bigger wheels or the 'narrow' arches....

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Rallye_Mark

posted on 30/6/08 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
What width are the wide and very wide ones? And roughly what kind of price are they?

Cheers Mark

indykid

posted on 30/6/08 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
the biggest difference to the overall perception of a dax to me comes from it having no kink in the side panel. it's a flat side panel from the nosecone to the back panel.

it's not to my taste, making it look too bulky, but it is a big part of its aesthetic impact. the cycle wings however are the nicest on the market closely follwed by csr ones imho.

tom

mcerd1

posted on 30/6/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrsgrain
Yes - it needs either more spacers, bigger wheels or the 'narrow' arches....

Chris, how wide are your rear wheels and what offset ?

[Edited on 30/6/08 by mcerd1]

neilj37

posted on 30/6/08 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
I like the look of the Dax but still cannot work out the point of the sloped roll bars on the Dax as they do not seem to serve any purpose.

Would hate to be involved in an accident as a passenger.

mcerd1

posted on 30/6/08 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neilj37
I like the look of the Dax but still cannot work out the point of the sloped roll bars on the Dax as they do not seem to serve any purpose.

they are just like that because some people like the look of them

but you don't have to have it
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/mcerd1/Dax/IMG_3694.jpg

-Robert

[Edited on 30/6/08 by mcerd1]

chrsgrain

posted on 30/6/08 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

235 on the back, the 'wide' arches... can't tell you more than that as its just been taken away on a trailer to begin a new life......

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

mcerd1

posted on 30/6/08 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrsgrain
quote:

235 on the back, the 'wide' arches... can't tell you more than that as its just been taken away on a trailer to begin a new life......

Chris

I'll count myself lucky that I should have just enough space for my next project and the Dax (there is no way I'll ever sell mine)

iiyama

posted on 30/6/08 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have moulds for the dax arches, front and rear, also bonnet scoop, dash, centre console, transmission tunnel, kick plates and single housings for 95mm dia lights.

Can produce the above in pre-preg carbon or glass. Dont do wet lay or gel coats though!

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

iiyama

posted on 30/6/08 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Youve sold it Chris? Wow that didnt take long! Get what you wanted?

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

Mix

posted on 30/6/08 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I'm looking for rear arches that wide also if anyone out there is producing them.

Sorry for the hijack

Regards Mick

Rallye_Mark

posted on 30/6/08 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Same I'm looking for 14inch wide arches or perhaps slightly bigger, what would the dimensions and price be?

Cheers Mark

Liam

posted on 30/6/08 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
So iiyama - can you produce dax-style arches but with straight/parallel mounting faces for our locost chassis? In case anyone doesn't know the dax chassis tapers inwards from the back of the 'doors' all the way to the back of the chassis (just as it tapers inwards from that widest point all the way to the front too), so standard dax arches would need some chopping and re-flanging to fit on a parallel sided locost chassis.

Also, when you say you dont do wet layup/gelcoat, what does that mean they end up looking like? Do they need some finishing if you want them to be smooth and painted? Got any photos?

Cheers,

Liam

iiyama

posted on 1/7/08 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry guys, can only replicate the originals which are indeed tapered.

Finishes will be gloss carbon or unfunshed glass that can be sprayed to match the colour of your car.

Havent got any pics at the moment but should have within the next few weeks, but be warned that they wont be locost! Both glass and carbon components are made from pre-preg. Other components can be seen here:-
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=92008

Ian

[Edited on 1/7/08 by iiyama]

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 2/7/08 at 05:02 AM Reply With Quote
the 255 rear tyres use 10" wide rims - but the tyres in 15" are £242 each!!!!!!! mine are away now getting narrowed = they are too wide for the weight - think why a camel has wide feet in the desert - so it dont sink - well same applies to car tyres - in the wet its not much grip if wide and specially light it is worse..
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.