<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dash pictures
Hellfire

posted on 15/4/04 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Dashboard

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning

I got carbon fibre rolled at the bottom with 20mm dia roll.

Will you be making further modifications to this as the SVA states a 19mm radius IIRC Has your's been thro' SVA yet?

Lightning

posted on 15/4/04 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Typo, should have said radius, ie 40mm dia

You made me panic for a sec there!
Top edge has been radiused to 2.5mm

Radii are a pain to acheive, at the moment I have a stud on the exhaust mounting with a 5/8 UNF nut (mini copper mount) Cant put a plastic cover over it as it would melt. Any suggestions? This should be the other section but what the hell.

Steve

Hellfire

posted on 15/4/04 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
IFAIK you can't get the 100mm diameter sphere into that area on ours. But, we did have a job rounding the edges on the exhaust and corresponding brackets. I'm sure it will pass now...

locoboy

posted on 16/4/04 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Coverd the dash this evening after work,

covered dash
covered dash

Struggled to get the vinyl round the edges of the cut outs so there will be a few areas that dont have total coverage, but thats life im afraid - thinner dash would have made it easier.

I was all out of ideas of how to hold the vinyl on the inside edges of the cut outs while the glue dried, then i remembered i had the bits i cut out in the first place........................woo hoo, glued the edges, heated the vinly to allow it to stretch then forced the cut outs back in to hold it all in place while it dries.

moral of the story, .............dont throw any waste away until you are sure you have completed the job - im glad i didnt

[Edited on 16/4/04 by colmaccoll]

[Edited on 16/4/04 by colmaccoll]

ATB
Locoboy

Lightning

posted on 16/4/04 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Very funky !

Steve

Peteff

posted on 16/4/04 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
One way round it is to spray adhesive round the edges of the cutouts and the face of the dashand lay the vinyl onto it then turn it over and cut a slit in the vinyl through the holes up to the thickness of the dash from the edge of the hole. Then cut slots the other way on and make strips of the material instead of removing it. Spray adhesive onto the back of the dash and pull the strips tight while sticking them to the adhesive on the rear. Staple the strips for added security and cut off any excess. The narrow bits left between your cutouts will have made the job awkward.

[Edited on 16/4/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

tractorboy

posted on 16/4/04 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
some photos in my archive (all of a sudden mine looks very boring!)
locoboy

posted on 17/4/04 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
i didnt remove any material Pete, i just cut slits in it and pulled it round. if i were to do a few of them (god forbid!) it would get easier and easier no doubt about it.

Tractor boy. Not boring but functional and relatively easy to make i bet! - i will know better for next time

ATB
Locoboy

locoboy

posted on 17/4/04 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
She is finished - thank christ for that

Well here is the finished article - apart from the ameter thats missing on the right, its in the shed.........................................................................somewhere!

[img][/img]

ATB
Locoboy

undecided

posted on 17/4/04 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Hellfire....that is one cool looking dash please give yourself a pat on the back matey.
jmbillings

posted on 18/4/04 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Col, that dash is very tasty. Ours is pretty conventional, pic below:
One thing on yours- the key looks a long way over, will that not be outside of the SVA steering wheel radius allowance? Or does the key itself not count as a protrusion? We moved ours closed to the steering wheel to be safe...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 19/4/04 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
I dont know Jmb, does anyone know if the key constitutes an interior projection as far as SVA?

ATB
Locoboy

Peteff

posted on 19/4/04 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
If it's there when the passenger is in it's a projection. What seat belts are you using? I don't think I could reach that far across the car with mine fastened. I'll have a go in a bit.

[Edited on 19/4/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

locoboy

posted on 19/4/04 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Pete,

Its a Formula 27 which is a narrow body, only 36 inches between mounting points for rollbar.

I use 4 points and the key was only about an inch closer before i rehashed the dash and i could reach it no worries. - maybe i just have long arms!

simple solution for the projection would be to cut a slice in a 10p bouncy ball and wedge the butt of the key in there with a bit of no nails - job done. post SVA just cut it off or get it re-cut.

ATB
Locoboy

MK9R

posted on 22/4/04 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
Heres ours at its present state. Its about the 6th version we have made and taken months to get there!

The greay fibre glass will be sprayed black when finished.

dash7
dash7

dash6
dash6

There are a few more pics in my archive.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timcrasher

posted on 22/4/04 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Dash pictures

Flippin' 'eck Austen, your dash looks amazing. What with yours and Hellfires, I'm gonna be too embarassed to take my car to any off the shows once it's registered.
I only covered mine with Alcantara. I didn't know I had to employ the services of automotive design consultants
I can't wait to see the end result.
Yours depressed and emotionaly stressed
Tim

jmbillings

posted on 22/4/04 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, top stuff, that! Progress pics will be welcome.
MK9R

posted on 22/4/04 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers lads, The dash has been on the go for nearly 6 months!!!!! It would have been quicker to carve it out of solid Kryptonite!!

So little spare time at the moment, i have hardly any time to spend on the car, let alone the website. I'm even busy at work, so have very little time to organise my social life and surf the net!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

scutter

posted on 22/4/04 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Is there any copy right issues with the dash pictures, I mean these two are great may have to put a slant on mine with these in mind, or I to will be in the standard hall of shame.

All the best Dan.

MK9R

posted on 22/4/04 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
copying is the biggest form of flattery! Ask Lotus!! (flame suit zipped up tight and goggles on)

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Mave

posted on 22/4/04 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Austen, it looks terrific! Hmm, I imaging it with the aluminium replaced by carbon.....NICE! Any chance of making a LHD version? ;-)
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.