Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 MNR Weight?
marc n

posted on 1/12/06 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
cant remember what the output was on rollers, i would think it will be as per std bike at flywheel maybe + 5hp for exhaust and filter over stock.

tim t45 weight saving on entire car approx 15 -20 kg but that allowed me on my car to add more triangulation so probably only 10 kg difference

the main reason of using a proper tube rather than erw is stricter tollencences as erw can vary in wall thickness dramatically meaning three chassis exactly the same will all vary in weight slightly whereas there is less likely hood of that happening with t45

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marc n

posted on 1/12/06 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

and never underestimate the power of good laxitives, cheapest way by far of upping power to weight.

good point

one of the single heaviest parts of bec is the driver unless your a stickman like me

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zxrlocost

posted on 1/12/06 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
am I missing the point these weights are coming out the same as what my MK was with 16" team dynamics 460kg or there abouts

I could have got down to 430kg with 13" wheels and light brakes?

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Agriv8

posted on 1/12/06 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc n
quote:

and never underestimate the power of good laxitives, cheapest way by far of upping power to weight.

good point

one of the single heaviest parts of bec is the driver unless your a stickman like me

Can I add to 'stick man' -- and a short arse !!

[Edited on 1/12/06 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

TimC

posted on 1/12/06 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc n
car approx 15 -20 kg but that allowed me on my car to add more triangulation so probably only 10 kg difference

It's sad but true, but the extra cash is probably better spent (for me) on a few Personal Trainer Sessions in the gym to lose the gut!

marc n

posted on 1/12/06 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

am I missing the point these weights are coming out the same as what my MK was with 16" team dynamics 460kg or there abouts

but you have no proper rollbar ( rac Approved ) with stays and diagonal in 3mm cds and a lot less tube work in the chassis

edit to say

when comparing say an mk / locost to ours the chassis weight will be fairly comparable, i suspect ours will be marginally lighter if a similar cage is used to us its just we have more triangulation throughout the entire car and the cage is a fully integrated part of the chassis

by selecting the correct components for a build it allows you more tubes in the chassis to create a stiffer structure
best regards

marc

[Edited on 1/12/06 by marc n]

marc n

posted on 1/12/06 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It's sad but true, but the extra cash is probably better spent (for me) on a few Personal Trainer Sessions in the gym to lose the gut!

depends if the personal trainer is a young busty blonde

[Edited on 1/12/06 by marc n]

zxrlocost

posted on 1/12/06 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
sorry I thought he wanted more bhp per ton figures
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

G.Man

posted on 1/12/06 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have lost 13kg this year... off my body not my car

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Moorron

posted on 10/1/07 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
missed this thread, Hi Tim c. ive just replaced the s/steel tank with a 1.6 alloy one i made at work. Saved 10 kg. just removed the seats and weighted them, each one was 12.5 kg, so if the 3kg grp ones are actually 3kg thats another 19 kg.

So far i have saved 29kg, almost 10% of the car. Just got to take a wheel off and compair it to some 15" ers i have from her puma (she will never notice lol). I thought it was going to be impossible but it looks achievable without loosing the looks of the car.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

zxrlocost

posted on 10/1/07 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
I could have sworn I told you all this aswell

is the NOS still connected? take it out?
for now

if you went from your wheels to some TD 15" or OZ

you could save up to 30kg

15" ford wheels would still be a benefit

what you need to do is do everything all the weight saving within reason THEN go for a thrash

dont do little bits and go out as it wont have the same effect

chris

TimC

posted on 11/1/07 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Moorron
missed this thread, Hi Tim c. ive just replaced the s/steel tank with a 1.6 alloy one i made at work. Saved 10 kg. just removed the seats and weighted them, each one was 12.5 kg, so if the 3kg grp ones are actually 3kg thats another 19 kg.

So far i have saved 29kg, almost 10% of the car. Just got to take a wheel off and compair it to some 15" ers i have from her puma (she will never notice lol). I thought it was going to be impossible but it looks achievable without loosing the looks of the car.

All sounds good, but I'd start looking for a 3:18 diff! You'll need it.

Moorron

posted on 11/1/07 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
ive removed the bottle and brackets a long time ago. but im leaving the solinoids in as i havent even tried it yet. im doing all the work now whilst the car is off the road for the winter, so it should feel fast, however i think it will even if i didnt do the mods as i have not used it for a few months.

15" oz's should still look ok i think. Anyone got a weight of one with a 205 tyre fitted? so i can compair them with what i have.

I agree tim, but i want to retain LSD and have no idea if i can do this. I think this is the last thing on the list tho.

cheers.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

zxrlocost

posted on 11/1/07 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
15" oz weighs about 5 kg dont know about the tyre

thats an OZ supeleggera by the way

G.Man

posted on 11/1/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
13kg's with 205 toyo 888's

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 11/1/07 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Discovered a good way of saving 7.5kg if it's an MNR factory built car. Just remove the lower 4 harness mount, this will result in a great steel plate, which stretches the width of the car and 8inches wide, dropping onto the floor!
Then weld mounting plates onto the bottom of the chassis. How come you didn't think of that Marc??

smart51

posted on 11/1/07 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bitsilly
Discovered a good way of saving 7.5kg if it's an MNR factory built car. Just remove the lower 4 harness mount, this will result in a great steel plate, which stretches the width of the car and 8inches wide, dropping onto the floor!
Then weld mounting plates onto the bottom of the chassis. How come you didn't think of that Marc??

Eh? I'm sure my car doesn't have a big plate anywhere on it. My chassis has small triangular seatbelt mounts, not an 8" anything.

chockymonster

posted on 11/1/07 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Eh? I'm sure my car doesn't have a big plate anywhere on it. My chassis has small triangular seatbelt mounts, not an 8" anything.

Mine doesn't either. Are you sure marc didn't put it in for extra strengthening?

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

Dillinger1977

posted on 12/1/07 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
ditto, that sounds rather odd!

-Rog

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 12/1/07 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, a little odd to say the very least. It was not attached to the chassis in any way so could not strengthen anything. I presumed it was a bodge to get it through on SVA day and then forgotten about.
Marc?

smart51

posted on 12/1/07 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
was it a racing car? perhaps it was ballast to make up the weight to racing specs. Bottom of the car would be the best place for it.
RichieC

posted on 12/1/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
eh ??????
smart51

posted on 12/1/07 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you race a car, you may be given a minimum weight for your car as part of the race rules. Most people try to make their car lighter than the minimum and then add ballast to get up to the minimum. You add the weight to the car low down to reduce the CofG. You add it to the rear if it is front heavy and vice versa, Adding weight to the centre if it is well balanced. the 8" steel plate may have been ballast.
JoelP

posted on 12/1/07 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
a few years back, the front running F1 ferraris had 100kgs of lead in the bottom.
RichieC

posted on 12/1/07 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
If you race a car, you may be given a minimum weight for your car as part of the race rules. Most people try to make their car lighter than the minimum and then add ballast to get up to the minimum. You add the weight to the car low down to reduce the CofG. You add it to the rear if it is front heavy and vice versa, Adding weight to the centre if it is well balanced. the 8" steel plate may have been ballast.

I know all about that Colin, just wondering what bitsilly is on about

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.