Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vortx - SVA Date
Winston Todge

posted on 21/12/06 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote

of course I'd probably find out if I got my finger out and actually booked the #@*&ing test!

Too true! I thought you had it finished by MNR at some point? What's left to do Rog?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 21/12/06 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Birmingham SVAed my Vortx. They didn't like the seatbelt upper mounting but for a different reason. They said it was 0.5mm too low. The measured it 3 or 4 times, readjusting the dummy each time. It was very subjective due to the string and spirit level rig that they use. He looked at the mounting closely and asked me to remove one of the SVA bolt covers to check the bolt type. He didn't question the strength though.
chockymonster

posted on 21/12/06 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dillinger1977

thats interesting, did he suspect that they might be whipped off post-sva or something?
Im trimming all of the stuff that may have been behind a bumper bar anyway. better to be on the safe side..

The seatbelt mount is a big worry though.. presumably its the same as mine and I dont fancy messing with that should it fail..

He agreed that they should be used as the floor height for the radius test, however "in his opinion" if someone put their hand out to break their fall they could injure themselves.
I'd lost the will to argue at this point! I'm now working through the 4 page fail sheet (big writing!)

I'm making up an exhaust guard to resolve the radius problems on the exhaust can.
The rest is pretty straight forward, I just have to hope that I can get it registered before my covernote runs out.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 21/12/06 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've just received my 4 page fail sheet.
The most relevant part to this is

5.2 A seat belt anchorage or the surrounding vehicle structure is of inadequate strength and likely to fail.
His explanation is
N/S + O/S top seatbelt anchorage points have no triangulation and bracing to spread the load effectively into the chassis.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

TimC

posted on 21/12/06 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'd take it to another SVA centre!

zxrlocost

posted on 21/12/06 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
dead sound these SVA people

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

chockymonster

posted on 21/12/06 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
I think I'd take it to another SVA centre!

I can't.
SVA retest will use my current file until June 18th. It's easy to rectify, just a pain in the neck.
I've put all of the fail points up on my website and need to work through them, the major ones from my point of view are N/S + O/S front lower swivel washers fouling on swivel joint on steering lock to lock, exhaust edging, emissions and the seatbelt points.

I know how to deal with all but the swivel joint washers. One thing of note in the fail sheet is this comment about brake bias locking - "A roll pin will be considered acceptable providing it penetrates the full diameter of the component."

[Edited on 21/12/06 by chockymonster]

Dillinger1977

posted on 22/12/06 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winston Todge
I thought you had it finished by MNR at some point? What's left to do Rog?

not entirely finished, mainly the engine wiring. Its pretty much done as it is, I just havent had the time to SVA it. maybe next year

-Rog

amalyos

posted on 22/12/06 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
I've just received my 4 page fail sheet.
The most relevant part to this is

5.2 A seat belt anchorage or the surrounding vehicle structure is of inadequate strength and likely to fail.
His explanation is
N/S + O/S top seatbelt anchorage points have no triangulation and bracing to spread the load effectively into the chassis.

Dion (Numnuts) and myself both had the same problem with the belt anchorages.
Solution was to turn up some sleeves to put over the originals, and bolt through a cap on the top.
Chelmsford accepted that, I think it was just a case of now it looks stronger,

We told Mark and Chris about it, hope they do something for future builds, as the SVA seem to be inconsistant on this issue.

Steve Rescued attachment Belt Anchorage.JPG
Rescued attachment Belt Anchorage.JPG

chockymonster

posted on 22/12/06 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
They look much beefier.
Can you remember what spec you had it made up to?

Winston Todge

posted on 27/12/06 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amalyos

Chelmsford accepted that, I think it was just a case of now it looks stronger,
Steve

I find this amazing as some SVA testers may pick this issue up as 'not upto standard' and then pass it with a sleeve over that would have a negligible effect on strength.

Also I would have thought if the sleeve was made slightly taller than the original thinner MNR mount then when the harness bolt was torqued up it would 'pull' the original mount upwards and actually have a detrimental effect on its strength... Wouldn't it?

I would have thought the strap over the rear of the mount and bolted through the rear bulkhead would be stronger and more safe?

Chris.

amalyos

posted on 27/12/06 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Even though the sleeve is not welded to the plate, it does move the effective pivot point of the load out, so it will reduce the loads on the weld.

Dion did drill through his posts, and added a bolt through with a spread washer underneath, but I couldn't do that as I have the RT+ chassis, which has different trianglation.

Steve. Rescued attachment Seat Belt Anchorage.JPG
Rescued attachment Seat Belt Anchorage.JPG

Winston Todge

posted on 3/1/07 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations Paul! Great job on passing the SVA!

Just gotta get mine on the road now and then organise some sort of ride/drive out in the South...

Enjoy it!

Chris.

Dillinger1977

posted on 4/1/07 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
amalyos, where did you get those sleeves for the seatbelt mounts?

they do look nice and chunky. Im about to book sva soon and as a more permanent solution is way beyond what I can manage, i'm hoping the percieved chunkiness might please mr SVA.

anyone a dab hand with a lathe?

-Rog

chockymonster

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

they do look nice and chunky. Im about to book sva soon and as a more permanent solution is way beyond what I can manage, i'm hoping the percieved chunkiness might please mr SVA.

Rog,

Steve and Dion used a 40mm piece of rod with a hole bored through it to fit over the existing mount and a chamfer to fit over the weld.
There's a 5mm or so washer over the top

Dion drilled through the bottom of the tube and bolted a big plate to the bottom of each harness mount.

Now, this is where you'll laugh. I took Dion's pictures with me to SVA yesterday to show the other way of doing it and my examiner would have still failed me on it as there was no triangulation to spread the load into the chassis.

The major issue I have with the SVA procedure is the level of interpretation that is used. You can't hand on heart say that something will definitely pass. What I found really scary was speaking to my examiner when I booked the retest and him telling me he'd seen my pictures of my modified harness mounts!

Agriv8

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Rog,

Steve and Dion used a 40mm piece of rod with a hole bored through it to fit over the existing mount and a chamfer to fit over the weld.
There's a 5mm or so washer over the top

Dion drilled through the bottom of the tube and bolted a big plate to the bottom of each harness mount.

Now, this is where you'll laugh. I took Dion's pictures with me to SVA yesterday to show the other way of doing it and my examiner would have still failed me on it as there was no triangulation to spread the load into the chassis.

The major issue I have with the SVA procedure is the level of interpretation that is used. You can't hand on heart say that something will definitely pass. What I found really scary was speaking to my examiner when I booked the retest and him telling me he'd seen my pictures of my modified harness mounts!

Oh dont assume they don't do there home work. I belive there is at least 3 that have accounts and I am sure there are more who view only.

I suspect most use it to advise builders on how other have pased SVA 'Withing there INTERPRATATION of the SVA words'

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

chockymonster

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
I suspect most use it to advise builders on how other have pased SVA 'Withing there INTERPRATATION of the SVA words'

Or to discover how builders get around rules! Key example to this was the words refering to pinning my bias bar! "The locking method must pass through both sides of the adjustment assembly"

chockymonster

posted on 4/1/07 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
ready to enter the dragon's den!
7:45 in the morning, it was cold and wet

chockymonster

posted on 4/1/07 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Waiting for my MAC Certificate and the examiner to take some pictures of my car for their records (of how it was before bits fell off on the way home)

G.Man

posted on 4/1/07 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Sob...

I so wish I had gone for that colour...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

chockymonster

posted on 4/1/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G.Man
Sob...

LOL!
The sad thing is I can't get a picture that does it justice. It's so hard to photo. It's much, much brighter in the flesh. In direct sunlight it's brilliantly bright.

RichieC

posted on 4/1/07 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Paul, top job.

Enjoy, Rich

G.Man

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by G.Man
Sob...

LOL!
The sad thing is I can't get a picture that does it justice. It's so hard to photo. It's much, much brighter in the flesh. In direct sunlight it's brilliantly bright.

I know, I know, but hey ho, I can use decals on mine... and can change the colour when i want...

Need a zx6r colour scheme i think from about 4 years ago...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Dillinger1977

posted on 5/1/07 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
on a pure white car i'd always be tempted to do the Toyota Castrol decal job on it.

not sure how it'd work on a non-toyota seven though.

-Rog

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.