Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: recommendations for noise reduction
davida

posted on 8/1/09 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
recommendations for noise reduction

Evening all.

I'm looking ahead to some track days this year but am a little concerned about the noise limits.

After fitting a custom airbox the noise has reduced quite a lot from the CBR1000RR engine in my Mac#1 but I suspect I'm still pretty loud - I cetainly rattle my neighbours windows and I'd hate to turn up to a track and get red carded staight away.

I'd welcome any recommendations for quieter exhausts

Cheers
Dave

Dangle_kt

posted on 8/1/09 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
There is a button on the dash that if you don;t press it your car remains SILENT!

Your lap times will suffer though...

Have you repacked exhaust? Is exhaust system standard? shortie can, straight through can?

If you are sure the induction roar is the problem

Is it a standard airbox/ These are designed to reduce noise, whereas ones that fit easy on a 7 tend to focus more on performance ...which as you seem to understand, is kind of pointless if you can't get onto the track!

mark chandler

posted on 9/1/09 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
Standard bike can and airbox, if the exhaust points out try directing under the car, if you already have a standard air box try adding some convoluted tubing from the horns and lose them within the nosecone.

Noise gets quietened with bends, unfortunately it does cost power.

Where are you, find a noise friendly track like Lydden if down south, avoid somewhere like Bedford Aerodrome where you do not get second chances.

Regards Mark

A1

posted on 9/1/09 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
where are the noise friendly tracks? preferably up northish? is there anywhere they just dont bother about it??
bob tatt

posted on 9/1/09 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
both cadwell and oulton have 103 limits static and rockingham is 105 i know this is a fair way from you go on to the trackday wabsites it tells you on there what the noise limit is on a given day. try to borrow a sound meter off someone i know book a track will lend you one for a small fee
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/1/09 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Can’t you just stick on a baffled car silencer. For all the power loss at least it gets you on the track.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bimbleuk

posted on 9/1/09 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
You could also shield the primaries as they come out of the head. Maybe wrap them or insulate the hood/side panels.
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/1/09 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bimbleuk
You could also shield the primaries as they come out of the head. Maybe wrap them or insulate the hood/side panels.

yip cos they make a right racket with all that valve clatter

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 9/1/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
What about a rotary silencer aka a turbo?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

dean100yz

posted on 9/1/09 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
If you like the current exhaust setup you can fit a db dawg or similar (there's a few different makes out there). It fits into the end cap and drops the db a few point. Not much but it can be enough to make the difference between doin a trackday and not. I've used them in the past for both road and moto x bikes when racin acu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.