Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: opinions!
Taz Surfleet

posted on 3/2/04 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
opinions!

Hi Chaps
I found this on e-bay wondered what the general concensus would be ??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2458110680&category=29750

timcrasher

posted on 3/2/04 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
chassis opinion

Hi, Taz.
I saw this today on ebay too. Would make a nice lightweight car, but for a few things.
1: What the hell is it? i.e is it a chassis someone just made themselves loosely based on a book chassis.
2: It's made of ally tube so is not going to last very long due to metal fatigue, corrosion, etc.
I have also found out ( the hard way!) that is best to stick to a well known and common part compatible chassis/ kit, as it makes life so much easier when building if you can use an off the shelf part. Unless you are an expert fabricator of course!

ChrisGamlin

posted on 3/2/04 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Any ali chassis that's made to the same design as a steel chassis, Id avoid like the plague. Steel and Aluminium have hugely different properties and you'd really need to change the design significantly if you are serious about making it in ali, unless you made it out of stupidly thick box section in which case you lose all the weight advantage and still have the possibility of fatigue as well as the nightmare if you ever want to modify the chassis at all (unless you have a TIG welder handy).
FWIW it looks like the chassis is based on a Robin Hood and so has nothing to do with a Westfield either, I wouldnt be suprised if it was originally a prototype made up for Robin Hood's new "Lightweight" ally chassis'd car they are now selling, the chassis on Ebay certainly looks like its designed to use donor front suspension (Sierra presumably) so all that weight you save with the chassis will be immediately lost, and you'll still end up with a car that doesnt handle well compared to a Locost / Westfield etc.

Chris

JoelP

posted on 4/2/04 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
looks damn nice though. shame really, cos if it did work it would be a bargain...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Taz Surfleet

posted on 4/2/04 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
I thought it looked a bit RH as well dont know if that should put me off or not ??
its location is a bit far from the factory for me to think its RH thats selling it tho !

ned

posted on 4/2/04 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting idea using a bulkhead to support the back of the IRS, anyone any comments on this? Would it work with steel, any idea what thickness plate would need to be used? Might post this under the chassis section instead...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mk-Ninja

posted on 4/2/04 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Taz, Try sending the seller an Email with some of the questions as above, might give you a better idea of what it is.

Gordon

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

GO

posted on 4/2/04 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
It looks a little robin hood in that it uses bent round tube but apart from that I don't think it is.

As ninja says though, best to ask the seller, that way you're protected if you do buy and it turns out they told you porkies.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 4/2/04 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever it is (or isnt) its certainly not a Westfield as it claims in the ad

Looking closer again the bottom front suspension pickups are at odd angles which suggests it uses a donor part as the bottom wishbone, and there isnt any mounting points for conventional top wishbones as far as I can see, which means it probably uses the McPherson strut arrangement from the donor too.

Chris

[Edited on 4/2/04 by ChrisGamlin]

Julian B

posted on 4/2/04 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I agree it looks very Lolocost/Robin Hood ish to me. I would also avoid it like the plague as its not a true space frame. Too many curved chassis pieces and as far as i can see the whole of the rear of the chassis is connected by curved sections . If your looking fora bouncy castle it might be good for that
Valtra

posted on 4/2/04 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all I've come here via a strange route , I saw this E-bay item mentioned on the Tiger owners Yahoo message digest thingy . they are Formula 27 chassis , and the Ally version was tried a few years ago but was very expensive and was so heavily re engineered to make it strong that it ended up being very neerly as heavy as the steel version . Ask Steve Porter the original owner of Formula 27 if you want the full SP.

I dirrected my co 27 builders to the addvert and one came back saying see this thread .......hope that makes sense .
Good web site fellas , Ill be back

Valtra

posted on 6/2/04 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
stunned silence

whoops didn't mean to tread on toes
Sorry

ChrisGamlin

posted on 6/2/04 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome and don't worry you havent by any means, I just think we'd said everything we could about it already

I'm speaking to Steve at the moment about an engine so will mention it to him if I get the chance.

cheers

Chris

James

posted on 6/2/04 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valtra
whoops didn't mean to tread on toes
Sorry

Don't think you did mate!

Welcome to the madhouse!
See you're bulding a Formula 27. It's always interesting to have people building stuff other than Locosts here. Gives us an avenue to new ideas and methods.

As I said- welcome!

James

JoelP

posted on 6/2/04 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
i always feel bad when posts dont get answered, but then again i talk shite and post too much anyway

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

locoboy

posted on 7/2/04 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
wooohooo another f27'r

ATB
Locoboy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.