Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: redtop vs zetec
tigertom

posted on 25/6/09 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
redtop vs zetec

i'm wantin to do a conversion in a tiger cat in the winter time and was wondering wot the pros and cons are for each engine.zetec seem to be a lot more popular.i'm wonderin why,apart from bell housing.which has more power vs ease of install.want al least 160hp.have 113hp at moment from 1.8 pinto so conversion needs to be worth while.
philw

posted on 25/6/09 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
I'll have a complete set up for sale winter time, 190hp maybe more by the end of the year, Ecotec on weber TB's , gearbox, engine mounts, just bolt it in and off you go.

Must try harder

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 25/6/09 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Redtops, or C20 XE engines,or redtops as they were commonly referred to, rung about 148bhp as standard. There's plenty of tuning capabilities for them to push them up to circa 200bhp as a n/a lump. They do have a tendancy to mix oil and water in the head due to the waterways corroding, but there are a few solutions to this. If you can find a block with a Coscast head (Cosworth designed) you're onto a winner. Only other thing is tappets to watch for, they can be a bit rattly sometimes.

Zetecs seem to be a popular choice, straight forward to mount and Megajolt/Megasquirt systems were designed to work with them as standard. 1.8 can be made to have same power output as the 2.0l with a set of GTi cams (circa 130bhp as standard), and chances are they're not as old as some of the VX engines.

Only real difference is the weight of the blocks - the VX is cast, whilst the Ford is alloy, making it lighter. Question is, did you want the heavier engine with slightly more power, or the lighter engine with slightly less?

My option would be the Zetec personally, as it's more of a straight forward conversion, but if you've got the time and effort to put in, then the VX might be the bigger powerhouse with slightly more potential. Both engines, when put into kit cars on bike tb's, carbs or similar will easily produce 160bhp+, which is I think is plenty!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

200mph

posted on 25/6/09 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
biggest pro for me with the zetec is you can get them newer - I bought a brand new one for £700.

Other than that I'd think the two engines (assuming both 2 litre) aren't a million miles apart.

Charlie - the Mondeo zetecs are quoted at 145ps rather than the earlier 130hp. Unless I'm being spun a line about my engine?

[Edited on 25/6/09 by 200mph]

If it isn't broke, fix it until it is

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 25/6/09 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I think the newer blacktop zetecs were 143ps, the older ones were 130.

Still, the redtop was tuned to a very high capability when used in turing cars and for rallying by Swindon, but the power band was a lot higher up the rev range, as it was a flagship engine in it's time.

However, as mentioned, they've been out of production for a while now, and soon enough (dare I say it, like the Sierra) parts will become harder to get hold of. Zetecs are available for peanuts 2nd hand, and even new units aren't too pricey, and you'll be able to get bits for them for a while longer yet.

But still, ask any hardcore tuner which engine they'd prefer, and they'll tell you the Redtop. Unfortunately for me, the zetec is the more practical for regular day to day use.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

tigertom

posted on 25/6/09 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
philw,wot kinda figure you talkin for your package,bearin in mind i have a budget to work to.
blakep82

posted on 25/6/09 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
phil's already kinda mentioned it, don't rule out the ecotec. same block as the redtop, but the head and injection system were designed to use less fuel and hence less power. but tuning capabilities are still the same!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

tigertom

posted on 25/6/09 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
aye.never tought of that one.as long as there is no hassle with injection systems.like the thought of webers and managment system on a zetec but was told they are a soft engine.zetec will be easier to get parts for.are duratecs still a very costly project?are throttle bodies as easy to work at as webers?
blakep82

posted on 25/6/09 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
webers will be no problem on the ecotec. have a look at somewhere like SBD & QED. QED do a good few bits for the ecotec, including manifolds for webers.

i'm getting mine on bike carbs, i've made a manifold, i just need to get it remade properly, but you can get the flange from shortrack123 on here if you decide to go that way

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

tomgregory2000

posted on 25/6/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Only real difference is the weight of the blocks - the VX is cast, whilst the Ford is alloy, making it lighter.

I thought the zetec was cast NOT alloy

Tommy

iank

posted on 25/6/09 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
quote:

Only real difference is the weight of the blocks - the VX is cast, whilst the Ford is alloy, making it lighter.

Tommy

Yes, Zetec is cast iron. Duratec (some of which are badged zetec iirc!) and Zetec SE are all alloy.

Zetec is cheaper to 150bhp, Red top cheaper if you want 200bhp.
Going to need a bellhousing or a vaux rwd gearbox for the redtop, and a bellhousing for a ZetecSE or a Duratec.
Plain Zetec bolts up to a type 9 with minimal hassle.

Coscast head is the way to go, do a search on NS Dev's posts to find out all you need about redtops.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mcerd1

posted on 25/6/09 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000

Tommy

the black and silver top zetec E's (1.8 & 2.0) have an iron block - but that doesn't mean they are as heavy as the redtop

its the zetec SE's (1.25, 1.4, 1.6, 1.7) that are all alloy

some info here (not sure how accurate it is exactly)
http://westfield-world.com/enginespecs_car.html

-

tigertom

posted on 25/6/09 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
wots the best zetec to look out for.is the codes or years i shud check bearin in mind i couldnt be bothered with a cat.
paul the 6th

posted on 25/6/09 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm looking at converting a 1.8 silvertop to rs1800 spec:

http://www.zsoc.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1910241&postcount=10

some interesting info here

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.