Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: r1 carb balancing (how) 2001
r1bob

posted on 4/8/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
r1 carb balancing (how) 2001

As title ,, could do with DOT to DOT instruction's and the recommended gear to do it with, any link's and pic's would be gratuitously received, cheer's r1bob
Coose

posted on 5/8/09 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've posted this many times, and you can find it by doing a search: -

"You can balance carbs using a bit of hose (windscreen washer hose will do nicely) and a good ear. For this process we'll call carb 1 the one nearest to the front of the car, carb 4 nearest the bulkhead, You may need to adjust the tickover whilst you're working between the carbs - this is normal: -

1, Remove the air filter/air box so that the carb bellmouths are all accessible.
2, Start the engine and get it up to temperature.
3, Starting at the carb 1, take the end of your hose and place it near the opening of the slide, a few mm away from the slide so as not to impede the air flow.
4, Take the other end of your hose and place it near to your ear and listen to the sound - you'll hear a steady pulsing sound.
5, Move the end of the hose to carb 2 and place it in the same position and listen again.
6, Adjust the balance of these two carbs if required until the sounds are as similar as you can get. Once you've adjusted one carb, blip the throttle a few times to make sure that the adjusters are seated properly and check again. You can take the hose from your ear when you blip the throttle as it may smart a bit if you don't!
7, Move along to the carb 3 and adjust this until it sounds the same as the other two. Blip the throttle again a few times. ***NOTE*** Do not adjust the first carb adjuster as this will upset the balance of carbs 1 & 2.
8, Move to carb 4 and do the same again. Do not adjust between carbs 1 & 2 and 2 & 3.

Job done! If it's good enough for Pops Yoshimura it's good enough for me! "

Spin 'er off Well...

mad-butcher

posted on 5/8/09 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
The grandfather of Honda engine tuning,

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 5/8/09 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
If you don't have the skill of the honorable Yoshimura, then you could consider one of these.

http://www.carbtune.com/

Quite expensive, but the best you can get.

Matt

r1bob

posted on 12/9/09 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Well after much deliberation and messing with a piece of pipe ive bought the carb tune pro, just waiting for it to turn up. So probably another daft question to ask; i have a screw under each carb except the last one nearest the bulk head which has a thin metal pipe sticking out which looks like a vacuum hose coming off it which goes around the otherside of the engine to something next to the oil pump area,hav'nt got a clue what it is or does, my question is do i just pull vac pipe off and fit carb tune pipe to it and fit adaptors and pipes to the holes where the screw's were and get on balancing it, or is there a bit more to it, its a 5jj,, exup as been removed, if any one as any pics of this connected on this model would be much appreciated,
bob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.