Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do i need dynojet needles?
james h

posted on 25/8/09 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Do i need dynojet needles?

As mentioned in another thread, when I get to 8000/9000 rpm my car won't really rev much more.

Looking through previous posts on dynojet needles it seems that I need to get some? I have looked at the needles I already have but they have only one place for the clip so I can't make the engine run any richer.

Is there another way to get it running richer temporarily, before I get it on a rolling road?

Thanks

James

mistergrumpy

posted on 25/8/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
People have put small washers on the clip end to space it out.
james h

posted on 25/8/09 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Aha! I like that thinking does anyone have an idea how much I can safely space the spacer?
r1bob

posted on 25/8/09 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Also,, what sort of air filter are you using? if an after market foam one, it might be too close to the top of trumpet's,, you want about 50mm clearance, if it as one try running without it,, just a thought,, mine would just about rev to 10k with it on,,12 k with it off. So had one made to give it clearance to breath.
daviep

posted on 25/8/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Bike engines are very sensitive to induction design. My ZZR1100 wouldn't pull over 6K when I fitted filter socks over the bell mouths as soon as I re-fitted the standard airbox it pulled cleanly to 11K.

Davie

james h

posted on 25/8/09 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1bob
Also,, what sort of air filter are you using? if an after market foam one, it might be too close to the top of trumpet's,, you want about 50mm clearance, if it as one try running without it,, just a thought,, mine would just about rev to 10k with it on,,12 k with it off. So had one made to give it clearance to breath.

I am using a pipercross panel one. I actually don't have any trumpets but I didn't think it would affect the performance as much as you say!

I'd better get a taller filter as well, there is nowhere near enough clearance for any trumpets at the moment.

Where did you get yours made?

ReMan

posted on 25/8/09 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
Bike engines are very sensitive to induction design. My ZZR1100 wouldn't pull over 6K when I fitted filter socks over the bell mouths as soon as I re-fitted the standard airbox it pulled cleanly to 11K.

Davie

My vote too.
The blade wont rev past 50000 without an airbox and that with the dynojet kit fitted

r1bob

posted on 25/8/09 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.itgairfilters.com/index.asp

these guy's made my filter,they used the existing frame off the old panel filter and formed a new one cost approx£70,, well worth it,

But worryingly,, you have no trumpet's, that and the filter could be the route of your prob's,, my filter sticks out the top of the bonnet about 4" looks ugly but does the job, i would source those trumpets, then get a filter made,,

As mentioned in the above post, bike carbs are very sensitive. hope this helps bob

james h

posted on 25/8/09 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah thanks for that! I have a bonnet bulge so I should have enough clearance for a tall pipercross filter, as I want to retain my backing plate.

Thanks again!

James

maximill666

posted on 25/8/09 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
James u2u sent, give me a call

[Edited on 25/8/09 by maximill666]

Stott

posted on 25/8/09 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Airbox is a favourite, my friends blade 205 had a fit with the airbox missing and then ran cleanly with the whole std setup.

Just a quick point though, if your using WOT then the main jet is responsible for the fuelling not the needle taper/clip position, so if it fails to pull when flat out it's not that.

Check this out for further info that applies to a lot of bike carbs: http://www.keihin-us.com/am/tuning/

Cheers HTH

james h

posted on 25/8/09 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stott
Airbox is a favourite, my friends blade 205 had a fit with the airbox missing and then ran cleanly with the whole std setup.

Just a quick point though, if your using WOT then the main jet is responsible for the fuelling not the needle taper/clip position, so if it fails to pull when flat out it's not that.

Check this out for further info that applies to a lot of bike carbs: http://www.keihin-us.com/am/tuning/

Cheers HTH

Thanks for that, very interesting reading - especially the top diagram on the first .pdf regarding effectiveness at throttle openings.

Seems like I have stock jets, some modification to those methinks!

James

Coose

posted on 26/8/09 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
TTS - Click me.

Call TTS. Ask the friendly people there for the Bike-engined car jet kit for a 00-01 R1. Pay money. Fit as per instructions. Save lots of skinned knuckles, rounded screws and dyno-time (money).

Spin 'er off Well...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.