Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: oil seal
Puzzled

posted on 13/1/10 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
oil seal

Just did the business on my type 9, for conversion to 5 speed in MGA.Stripped the box, in great nick , no wear on any cogs or play in shaft.Fitted new oil seals to front and back , new gasketts etc.Cleaned outside of box and filled up with oil. Tilted the box for painting (end where prop shaft joins onto splines. Oil is pi**ing out.Question----- Does the oil seal only become effective when the propshaft is fitted??? Please excuse my ignorance , but I"m trying to learn as I go along!!!
blakep82

posted on 13/1/10 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
lol yep. the oil seal sits tight against the prop to make the seal. without the prop theres still a big hole at the back of the box

something i'd never expected first time i removed a gear box still got the oil stains all over the driveway

[Edited on 13/1/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

deezee

posted on 13/1/10 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
This might sound dumb but does the prop have to sit tight into the gearbox? I thought it was allowed to have a degree fore/aft play in it. I'm asking because I'm taking my Sierra prop to Northwest propshafts soon to get shortened and don't want it too short!

Steve G

posted on 13/1/10 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Puzzled Tilted the box for painting (end where prop shaft joins onto splines. Oil is pi**ing out.Question----- Does the oil seal only become effective when the propshaft is fitted??? Please excuse my ignorance , but I"m trying to learn as I go along!!!

LOL. Now I wonder how many members on here HAVENT done exactly the same - at least those with car engines.

The seal isnt under much pressure as it isnt submerged in oil but as you rightly suggest, seals on the propshaft.

blakep82

posted on 13/1/10 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
sorry, yes the prop should should move back and forward on the gearbox, what i menat was the oil seal should sit tight 'around' the end of the prop

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mcerd1

posted on 13/1/10 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve G
LOL. Now I wonder how many members on here HAVENT done exactly the same - at least those with car engines.

quite a few - but mainly because other people remind us with post like this

-

HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 13/1/10 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
This might sound dumb but does the prop have to sit tight into the gearbox? I thought it was allowed to have a degree fore/aft play in it. I'm asking because I'm taking my Sierra prop to Northwest propshafts soon to get shortened and don't want it too short!

just tell them the distance from the diff flange and the inlet of the g/box, they should do the maths, when i had mine done they were glad i did it that way as they worked it out for me.

Puzzled

posted on 13/1/10 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
pheeewwwww. Thanks and I love you all !!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.