Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What tyres
phelpsa

posted on 21/4/04 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
What tyres

What tyres are you using on your locost trackdays etc.? Why have you chosen this tyre?

Adam

[Edited on 21/4/04 by phelpsa]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 21/4/04 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
The boys might remember this link re tyres
http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~scoobydoo/motoring/tyres1999/tyres1999.htm#Caterham%20Conclusion

Viper

posted on 21/4/04 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
round black ones

BIG round black ones

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timcrasher

posted on 21/4/04 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Tyre choice

It was my mate Royrid and I that started going on about Maxsports in another thread.
We use them because; 1: they stick like sh#t to a blanket, even in the rain
2: they only cost £40 each brand new
3: if you have any problems with them, the staff at the factory, sort things out pronto.
I just wish I discovered them ages ago

phelpsa

posted on 24/4/04 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Are the maxsports allowed for competition use.

Adam

timcrasher

posted on 25/4/04 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Maxsports

Hi, Mate
Yes, the Maxsports were devoloped for motorsport and were then BS approved for road use.
This was to allow rally drivers to use them for the road links between special stages.
And for £40-£60 a tyre you wont find stickier for the money
Cheers
Tim

[Edited on 25/4/04 by timcrasher]

phelpsa

posted on 25/4/04 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
So I could get some maxsports and keep my A-021s for wets. The only thing is, you can get slicksthat have been used for one race but still have plenty of life left because the big race teams consider them "past their best".

Adam

P.S. anyone know of a race team/series that uses 14" slicks?

timcrasher

posted on 25/4/04 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Old slicks

Yeh, Adam
But you would have to heat the "old" slicks up to melting point, just to get slight grip from them. Even cutting them barely works. Once they have been through their heat cycle a few times they are scrap.
Why do you think teams throw away seamingly good tyres! Depends how many times you want to rebuild your car from one of those " It just stepped out, I don't know what happened ! " incidents!!
Cheers
Tim

phelpsa

posted on 25/4/04 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Are they as grippy as a 32r or 21r?

Adam

timcrasher

posted on 25/4/04 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Grip

Adam, The super soft versions are too sticky now that the weather has warmed up. The soft versions are just as grippy as a 32 and if you do get them to break away, they are nice and predictable and give lots of warning.
Cheers
Tim

phelpsa

posted on 25/4/04 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to be so inquisitive, but, where are they cheapest? Ears Motorsprot seem to have quite good prices.

Adam

timcrasher

posted on 25/4/04 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Maxsport

Cut out the middle men and buy direct from the factory. Give them a call on 01597 811262.They normally do a good deal on delivery if you buy 4 or more. Ask to speak to Red Barry if you need technical advise about compounds etc.
Cheers
Tim

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.