Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering extensions fouling on wing stays
alister667

posted on 25/4/04 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Steering extensions fouling on wing stays

I have to admit one thing that was spotted at my SVA that was fair enough was this - God knows how I hadn't seen it myself!
On full lock on the passenger side the track rod extension fouls on the cycle wing stay. The track rod ends have a small offset, so I tried swapping them but no difference. The drivers side is about 2 mm from fouling, and the tracking is set up very similar on both sides.

Have I put something on backwards / done something stupid? Has anyone seen this before? Is there an easier solution than creating a pair of stops to reduce the steering lock? Should I just give the wing stays a good bending??

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timcrasher

posted on 25/4/04 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Wing stays

Alister,
I have the same problem but on the drivers side.
I have loads of clearance on the passenger side. I have measured everything and both sides seem the same.
I had too bend the wing stay to give me the clearance for the SVA.
After I PASS the retest on Monday I will recheck things again. I think it is something to do with the modified steering rack,as I seem to have way too much steering lock in both directions. But, I too would like to hear if anyone else has had problems.
Cheers
Tim

chrisg

posted on 25/4/04 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert but are those the Mk extentions?

They look longer which would mean that you're getting more lock than intended, hence the clash.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 25/4/04 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a job for that favorite tool The BIG Hammer!

OX

posted on 25/4/04 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
i put a bit of plastic tubing on the bar that runs through the steering rack casing, about 20 mm long each side and then put some tape round it ,sorry cant explain very well ,will put up a picture tomorrow

alister667

posted on 25/4/04 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Chris yes, they are MK extensions. Everything in the front suspension/ wing stays is is standard MK Indy stuff. I'm not adventurous enough to do too much different!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mk-Ninja

posted on 25/4/04 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
I did it like OX. It also stops the brake hoses touching the wishbone.

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

Hellfire

posted on 26/4/04 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Can't understand...

We have used all MK parts Ali and ours don't clash. We did have to swap around the T.R.E's as they did clash, but now we have the same setup as you, but no clash! Are your stays mounted on the rear of the hub - picture a bit fuzzy there! Not much help but our's ended up like this:

bob

posted on 26/4/04 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Alister

It looks like your wing stay is mounted in the centre of the hub and not on the end,this would make a difference.

Might just be an optical illusion or i'm going blind,bad eyesight on my behalf is a good shout actually.

anyone else.

jacko

posted on 26/4/04 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alister, I put 20mm bobbins made of aluminium on the steering rack and fixed them with grub screws to stop the steering going too far and hitting the wing stays. Jacko.
alister667

posted on 26/4/04 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Bob,
No the wing stays are fitted to the rear of the uprights.
Sorry about the bad pic, but I bought my digital camera from Lidl

It looks like I'll be putting the bobbins to restrict the steering lock on the steering rack.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Hellfire

posted on 26/4/04 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Before you do....

Is the steering rack mounted as far forward as it can go... that angle looks a lot steeper than ours does! Afterall, it's only two nuts to move it forward... worth a try.

Peteff

posted on 26/4/04 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Can you put a jubilee clip round it as a stop? Might be an easy shortcut.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

OX

posted on 26/4/04 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
i think you have your top wishbones on the wrong side,,mr loo spotted that mine were yesterday,when i did the change it brings the top wish bone balljoint back a good inch ,so that would allso bring the front bar on the mudguard bracket up to nearly a vertical point.the problem is that now the front edge of your mudguard isnt inline with front edge of the wheel

alister667

posted on 27/4/04 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yep the top wishbone is in as snoopy discribes. I suspect I'll put in a couple of jubilee clips as stoppers to reduce the lock.
Thanks again.
Ali

OX

posted on 27/4/04 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
i tried jubilee clips and they kept on catching the runner boot and pulling it off ,maybe the clips were just to big

mad-butcher

posted on 27/4/04 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
this is gping tp sound silly but the pointed ends of my trackrod ends face rearwards i couldn't remember which way mine went and had to refer to that haynes manual for a pic
tony

alister667

posted on 28/4/04 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Mine actually have LH and RH stamped on them, in the pic however they are on the wrong way round (I tried them like that to try to give more clearence - it didn't work). If fitted properly the 'pointy' bit should be facing the back of the car.

mad-butcher

posted on 29/4/04 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for that you had me worried i've just changed mine around after it playing on my mind all day but changed them back as i didn't like the angle of the track rod
tony

macspeedy

posted on 29/4/04 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
we had to bend our wing stays to get the arches sitting in the same place around the wheel if you know what i mean, rope and a long lever did the trick!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.