Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wilwood squeel
madteg

posted on 16/5/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Wilwood squeel

Fitted wilwood calipers with 1144 pads god they squeel. Can i stop it or do i have to live with it.
MikeRJ

posted on 16/5/10 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Did you apply copper grease to the backs of the pads? Usually only a temporary fix but worth doing.
madteg

posted on 16/5/10 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yep done it.
ashg

posted on 16/5/10 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
change the springy shims for solid ones.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Pete Jordan

posted on 16/5/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
There was a post about this recently. I think the solution was to fit EBCyellow stuff pads instead!
hobbsy

posted on 16/5/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Its weird as I've heard other calipers with 1144's squeal (eg HiSpecs) and I've heard Wilwoods do it to but I've fitted mine but they don't squeal.

That said I've done very few miles since fitting so there is time yet.

I smothered them in copper grease.

locoR1

posted on 16/5/10 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Not long put 1114 pads in my wilwoods, was a little concerned and expecting them to squeal be haven't had it yet.

Maybe its something to do with the uprights they are fitted to, have heard people mention flex in the mountings causing it, im on cortina uprights.

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

hobbsy

posted on 16/5/10 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'm on Sierra uprights. As said I have done <15miles on them so no doubt they'll start squealing worse than anyone's once I put a few more miles on them.

Flex in the mountings could cause any pads to squeal though not just specifically 1144's? Though the same compound pads in 2 pot M16's don't seem to squeal and other pads in the same wilwood 4pots don't squeal.

I can't figure it out!

RazMan

posted on 16/5/10 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've got 1144s in my Wilwoods and I fitted some anti-squeal shims - basically semi squishy self adhesive pads that stick on the backs of the brake pads.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DO-YOUR-BRAKES-SQUEAL-STOP-3M-UNIVERSAL-SHIMS-/250620749502?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3 a5a2926be#ht_500wt_956

Not a squeal since

[Edited on 16-5-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hobbsy

posted on 16/5/10 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've bagged a set of that stuff and if they start to squeal I'll pop it in.

I can see how it can drive you nuts and people who don't understand think your brakes are knackered etc!

bi22le

posted on 17/5/10 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
well i have the same pads and calipers on capri uprights and they dont make a noise. I know that dont help but hey, thought i would mention it! They have done loads of miles aswell

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

adithorp

posted on 17/5/10 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Mine didn't squeel, then did, now don't anymore.

The squeel is just the same as making a wine glass sing with your finger around the rim. Some people can do it and some can't and others can only do it sometimes.

There are a few tricks to alter the resonance and a few to damp it...
A couple of heat cycles often alters the resonance (why mine are now quiet?). Filing a leading edge on the pad or putting a shallow saw cut can alter the resonance. Copper grease or packing on the back of the pad can damp it out.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

coozer

posted on 17/5/10 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pete Jordan
There was a post about this recently. I think the solution was to fit EBCyellow stuff pads instead!

Yep, cjange my 1144's to Yellow Stuff.. guess what? Still squeal most of the time.

Waht I find is if I slam the pedal and brake hard they are quiet but light braking they make a lot of noise. Only occasionally do they not make a noise.

I have them squashy backing things so may try that next. After all they did come in the box with the yellow stuffs!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

hobbsy

posted on 24/5/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
As most people probably predicted now I've put a couple of hundred miles on my Wilwoods and M1144's they squeal.

Will try the 3M rubber backings I bought from eBay when I have a chance.

I'll post back here with the results.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.