Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: failed in Notts....Damn emmissions
spunky

posted on 24/5/04 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
failed in Notts....Damn emmissions

Test this morning (Bloody cold at 6am)

Emmissions, and that is with a cat, lambda bleed system and a power commander....

Couple of other minor points, mirrors not high enough and side repeater not visable from all required angles...
"It's in the same place as that Seven thats just passed".......
"yes sir but sevenesque cars are exempt"
Tried arguing that it was 'sevenesque-ish'
but no go...
And front indicators too low, not so easy to adjust.

So all in all a good result.
Any suggestions with getting an EFI engine to run leaner would be gratefully recieved, it ran cleaner without the beeding cat.
Any power commander experts in the house?

BTW Nottingham station is excellent, really helpful and patient, guys name was Sandy and really wants the car to pass.
And the drive back in the sun was a blast

John

PS. filled up with Super Plus before the test, thinking that it would 'burn' cleaner. Is it possible that this could increase CO levels?

[Edited on 24/5/04 by spunky]

Mk-Ninja

posted on 24/5/04 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear you failed.

I cant help with most of it but when I was struggling with my emmisions I was told to ensure that there wee no leaks from the exhaust system as a leaking system will such air in, and they are sensing for unburt oxygen. I was advised to seal the joints with silicon sealant, it smokes a bit when it gets hot but once cooked in remians flexable and dosnt smoke.

HTH Gordon

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

barrie sharp

posted on 24/5/04 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
unlucky spunky!
how low are your indicators?
is it a small margine or big problem?
Barrie

the cars looking good" a blind man would be pleased to see it"
''stop press'' the blind mans seen it said "it felt ok"

Fifer

posted on 24/5/04 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hard luck Spunky, hope you get sorted out and pass soon.
You have worried me on the mirrors and indicator repeaters. can you advise or post a pic of where yours are fitted, this mey give us a clue as to what he failed you for.

Cheers and good luck.

timcrasher

posted on 24/5/04 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Sva fail

Bad luck, John.
You could just do with spending a bit of time with a gas analizer and play around with your power commander settings by the sounds of things. The emmissions test was the hardest bit to pass. my car was really sensitive to slight adjustments. the indicator thing should be easy enough, just a few more holes in the bodywork.
Glad you got your little problem sorted yesterday.
I got blacked flagged at Donnington:103Dbs

[Edited on 24/5/04 by timcrasher]

Peteff

posted on 24/5/04 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
sevenesque cars are exempt

Yours will come under this heading Fifer. It's because the body is further in than the wings and tapers as well. The problem with the mirrors is seeing over the rear wings. If you can get them up near the top of the scuttle it helps. As for super plus.
What is LRP?

Intended to be a direct substitute for leaded 4-star petrol.

Being sold through the "wide nozzle" pumps previously used for 4-star

Must not be used in vehicles fitted with catalytic converters.

Is effectively Super Plus (97 RON) unleaded, pre-blended with a lead subsititute additive
LRP will have the same octane (97 RON) as 4-star.

No ignition retard required.

LRP may offer similar protection against valve recession compared to leaded
http://www.barringer.co.uk/autolinks/lrp-presentation.htm
Do you have a restrictor fitted to the tank to stop a wide nozzle pump being used? if not it should have failed on that too. I think Jasper was a victim of that.

[Edited on 24/5/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

spunky

posted on 24/5/04 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps,
The mirrors TBH I expected to fail but when I fitted them I only considered asthetics not compliance (own goal that one.). Basically Fifer they have to be pretty high to be able to see the top half of the pole placed 10m behind and in ine with the mirror. The rear arches cause a big blind spot, same on a seven I spose. You could use big stalks but the vibration would render them useless.
Side repeaters have to be visable from 5 degs. off from directly behind the repeater at the same height. Again the rear arch gets in the way. I know that didn't make sense but don't worry about it 'cos 7's are bloody well exempt
Front indicators may be a problem, but it is marginal. 350mm is in the centre of the lens, can probably black out bottom alf of the lens and it will pass. (suggested by inspctor) What sort of law is that, blank off 50% of your lamp and it passes

Oh yeah and 105dB at 7000rpm,
so that was a fail also. hardly supprising with half the exhaust taken up with a cat!

I'll get there
Still buzzing from the drive back

John
Sorry for the blurry pic.

[Edited on 24/5/04 by spunky] Rescued attachment spider repeater.jpg
Rescued attachment spider repeater.jpg

Hellfire

posted on 24/5/04 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fifer
You have worried me on the mirrors and indicator repeaters. can you advise or post a pic of where yours are fitted, this mey give us a clue as to what he failed you for.

I "THINK" it's Spunky's avatar!

highspeeddirt

posted on 24/5/04 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
To get around the front indicator height problem I just wound up the collars on the shocks. The front end was an inch higher than it should be when I got to SVA, but then again the wheels were toed out so far it looked stupid anyway.

Steve

spunky

posted on 24/5/04 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff

Do you have a restrictor fitted to the tank to stop a wide nozzle pump being used? if not it should have failed on that too. I think Jasper was a victim of that.

[Edited on 24/5/04 by Peteff]

Hi Pete,
indeed I do have a restrictor. Not that he checked. (pain in the arse, very little gap to equalise pressure as you pump) It was Super Plus unleaded, narrow nozzle and green pump.
Are you saying this could cause the emmission problems.

Yes Fifer, its my avatar, I'm one of these funny blokes that didnt build a seven, But my body is further in and tapers and has a big fat arse, but apparently not 'Sevenesque' enough. "engines at the wrong end"

John

Fifer

posted on 24/5/04 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh, didnt see the avatar. see what you meen on the mirrors. Nice looking car !
It's things like the "tape up the bottom half of the indicators" that make me wonder about the SVA test !!
Good luck with the resit.

ChrisBradley04

posted on 24/5/04 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Spunky,
What were your emission readings?

I went through a load of pain to get my injected R1 through the emission test (with a power commander) so may be able to assist. Also, what emission control systems are you using as a CAT and a Power Commander was about the best combination I found.
Regards
Chris

spunky

posted on 24/5/04 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,
muchos gratios. You have U2U

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.