Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2pot or 4pot.... that is the question
Major Stare

posted on 16/7/10 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
2pot or 4pot.... that is the question

Currently have standard M16 2pot calipers.

Would lightweight 4pots make a difference/improve braking?

Jon "FISH"

ReMan

posted on 16/7/10 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Can you lock your fronts up with a reasonable pedal pressure?
Steve Hignett

posted on 16/7/10 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
In my experience/opinion, upgrading to lightweight Ali 4 pots is only really for weight saving.

If you think they will be much better brakes than your standard ones you will be dissapointed (IMO)...

[Edited on 16/7/10 by Steve Hignett]

Major Stare

posted on 16/7/10 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Can you lock your fronts up with a reasonable pedal pressure?

Nope

Jon "FISH"

ReMan

posted on 16/7/10 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
If yes.
Then as per Steves reply
If not, then why not?

[Edited on 16/7/10 by ReMan]

What you cant lock them up at all?
Or it takes a good hard shove?

[Edited on 16/7/10 by ReMan]

Dan.

posted on 16/7/10 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Generally the best upgrade for brakes would be to change the master cylinder for a 19mm one. (fiat 126/panda ones work nicely)
expatkiwi

posted on 17/7/10 at 05:27 AM Reply With Quote
I use M16 with 1144 pads. No problems. I was going to go for some 4 pots but as the car is only 500kg (ish) i figures that the change to the 1144s will be more than enough as after all the car is only 1/2 the weight of a std car

I have decided to call my Westfeild "The Caterhammer" Hopefully it will

Mal

posted on 17/7/10 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
There is nothing inherently better about 4 piston piston calipers over 2. Four pistons of smaller diameter, but the same total area, are better for design packaging under the wheel space and allow the pressure concentration to be better distributed over the pad face.
When drivers change from 2 to 4 piston calipers the difference is often confused because of also changing the pad material at the same time. Badly designed 4 piston aluminium calipers may not be as stiff as cast iron ones.
However the reduction in unsprung weight is undesputable for aluminium 4 pots.

adithorp

posted on 17/7/10 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
How well the brakes stop you is down to pedal ratio and master cylinder/caliper ratio and the pads. The difference, as far as brake effort goes, between 2 and 4 pot calipers is down to whether the piston area is different. So if the 4pots have a larger total piston area then you will get more brake presure. With 4 pots the presure will also be more evenly spread across the pad.
The big advantage of ally' calipers over cast, is the reduced unsprung weight... and the bling factor!

Cheapest solution for better braking is different pads and then smaller diameter master cylinder.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

cliftyhanger

posted on 17/7/10 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, double post causing some confusion...
BUT the calipers you have should be more than adequate.
I suspect some maintenance is required, maybe a £10 set of caliper seals, or new discs etc. Unless you are using cheapo pads which are hopeless.....

Most poor braking is down to maintenance. And people are surprised that their brakes work better when they fit flash new calipers, new discs and decent pads. Same effect as overhaul of the old stuff, but of course far pricier.
But then again, some benefit from unsprung weight...

RazMan

posted on 17/7/10 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
I used to have standard Sierra rear disc brakes (single piston) and decided to change to Wilwood Powerlites (4-pots with handbrake). The result was very disappointing and completely the opposite to what I was expecting. After some research I changed the master cylinder to a smaller one, changed the pedal ratio and eventually got the same braking performance back compared to the old brakes!!

As previously mentioned, braking performance is mainly dependent on piston sizes and the relationship between master & slave cylinders. Pedal ratio also comes into the equation and many people don't realise that a non-servo system requires a 'longer' pedal to achieve an acceptable braking force.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Major Stare

posted on 18/7/10 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys.

I'll keep the M16's and get some Mintex pads.

I understand about unsprung weight and the bling of nice 4 pots.... but ive read quiet a few topics on the web now and people have problems when fitting them

Jon "FISH"

02GF74

posted on 18/7/10 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
funnily enough I was looking at this last night - M16 caliper have 52 (or 54) mm dia psiton and the RalDes M16 cheapest replacement have 4 pot but smaller piston area - this to me means that the pedal needs to be pressed harder to stop the car.

I have M16 calipaer but with Sierra master - 22 mm - ^^^ say put in smaller dia master - this, unless someone correct me, means less pedal pressure but more pdeal travel - the same effect, unless someone corrects me would be achieve using calipers with largere piston area - since I would be one hell of a job to change the master to a smaller dia, fitting relacement calipers should be a bolt on job.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.