Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA Emmissions
spunky

posted on 30/5/04 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
SVA Emmissions

Thought I'd post my findings on emmissions.
Mainly relevent to EFI engines.
The engine was running constantly rich at idle and fast idle even with the air bleeds fully open, got round this by disconnecting the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator. The lambda system was then able to control the mixture. But the engine speed is all over the place as the solenoids open and close and at idle can kill the engine when they open. (made worse as its a twin)
Exhaust was glowing and set fire to the probe but got it sorted I hope.
Basic problem is the test RPM is to low for a BEC. the engines are designed to make big power at big revs and not pass emmissions. 2500 is not fast idle, its nearer tickover for a bike.
With the number of BEC's on the road/being built VOSA should recognise this, I may even write them a letter for what it's worth.

John

Hmmm, having really said much there but needed to spout as the girlfriend thought BEC's was the nickname of a footballer.

timcrasher

posted on 30/5/04 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Emmissions

John, I had this same conversation with the SVA tester. He was in agreement that the test didn't suit BEC's, but as we are only a small percentage of the kit car world, the ministry is not willing to change the test. He did try to trick the test equipment into letting the test happen at higher revs. I got through at nearly 3000rpm, so the testers at Nottingham try their best. Hope your retest goes well and you get a pass this time.
Cheers Tim

PAUL FISHER

posted on 30/5/04 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
EMMISSIONS

I wonder if the SVA test on motorbikes is carried out in the same way
I am aware they SVA bikes ,and some have cats fitted as standard ie European spec injection RRY blades, do bikes have to pass the same emmissions test? and if so at what criterion

spunky

posted on 30/5/04 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Bike emmissions

I was wondering the same Paul.
AFAIK bikes don't have an emmissions test at SVA, they definately don't at MOT.
I was also wrongly informed by one guy at the vehicle inspectorate that a letter from Honda stating "that the engine was neither designed nor intended for use with a cat" would exempt it from test at SVA.
John

tadltd

posted on 30/5/04 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
FWIW: California and Swizerland model ZX9's (the 'D' model, I believe) run a small cat in the exhaust, just prior to the muffler. Perhaps other manufacturers also do this in these countries?

dunno if that info is of any use to anyone, tho'!!

[Edited on 30/5/04 by tadltd]

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bike_power

posted on 30/5/04 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
My 2002 Hayabusa engine came with the down pipes and the intermediate pipes - there is a small cat in one of the two outlets from the down pipes and another one in one of the two intermediate pipes. Odd that it's not in both sets of pipes.

Engine also came with a lambda sensor which made things very easy at SVA.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.