Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Top Gear - Tom cruise - lap time FIX ?
Agriv8

posted on 26/7/10 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Top Gear - Tom cruise - lap time FIX ?

So as armchair pundits that we are what do we think :-

newsbeat link

One Side - we know quite a bit of top gear is made up but would they go this far ??

other side Tom Cruise was allowed out in the Bugatti special and got it upto 190 !!!

I belive it was genuine but somthing it troubling me and I cant quite put my finger on it.

possibly just serviced / special fuel / sticky tires ( two wheels from Tom ? )

Anyway discusion open

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

tegwin

posted on 26/7/10 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Im not so sure myself... it didnt look right as I watched it...

Camaron kept missing gears.... that'd slow her down a lot..

And cruise hammering seriously wide on corners and finishing on two wheels... I dont get how he managed to do is so quickly...

I find it hard to believe it a fix... the BBC cant thing people are that stupid.. can they?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

MakeEverything

posted on 26/7/10 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think its all good. I doubt Clarkson would allow them to fix it.

I think it was Genuine. The two wheel thing wouldnt have slowed him down that much.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

loggyboy

posted on 26/7/10 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
1 second quicker than a girl and a spotty teenager... hardly an acheviment worth of a conspiracy theory!

Im sure once a few more 'car enthusiast' stars come through the door, Toms time will slide down the order.

MakeEverything

posted on 26/7/10 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
hardly an acheviment worth of a conspiracy theory!

I agree, but then Tom Cruise has always been the centre of some conspiracy or other. Remember when the whole Scientology thing came out?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Surrey Dave

posted on 26/7/10 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe...........

The only thing that I thought unusual,was that the lap ended with a rear end view of the car on 2 wheels. They usually end with a front side view.......................
GMPMotorsport

posted on 26/7/10 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
what's it matter if it was fixed? I watched the Grand Prix and thought that was fixed

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jossey

posted on 26/7/10 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
OLA ALL.

It was a nice day on the track and warm. if they had been given around 30 laps to practise i bet they could do better. they normally only get 5 laps and pick the best so maybe its different with them getting more laps to practise and taking snipets from a few laps to make it look a little better.

thats my view.

it did look a little setup but to be honest it was a good top gear.

dave j

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 26/7/10 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
maybe they just finished with a shot of him on two wheels from another lap for entertainment value?

Not bothered really, id crush them all

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Hammerhead

posted on 26/7/10 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
I wondered when someone would open this discussion. I think it was in the deal that tc had to be fastest. He spun wheels off the line, missed gears and certainly looked slow.

Me thinks it's a con.

dlatch

posted on 26/7/10 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
its well known the lap they show are actually a high lights version to make better TV
his actual lap was most likely much more tidy.
its not a surprise he set fastest time he is a moderately talented race driver and imo the current fastest time was not actually that fast and TC lap will be beaten no doubt

expatkiwi

posted on 26/7/10 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
The programme in its self is a big set up of gags and fooling around.
If you look at the star in a car board those who have been before,the majority are not the most competitive in the world.I think that CD and TC are probably two very competitve people and one is a better looking and taller than the other. If it is a fix then so what its still good for a laugh,come to think of it Sherlock was good to with some dry humour

I have decided to call my Westfeild "The Caterhammer" Hopefully it will

kendo

posted on 26/7/10 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
The car is probably starting to loosen up a bit as well.
will121

posted on 26/7/10 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
i thought they had 3 timed laps with best time taken from them and just for tv they edit the interesting bits to make entertaining tv, i would imagine the fasted lap would possible make quite boring tv as would just be smooth with no drama.
as for fixing some of the 'chalenges' ive seen one filmed where they had to film it about half a dozen times just to get what appeared a close finish

Peteff

posted on 26/7/10 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Well I ran round it in a pair of Wellingtons in 1.43.8 so they aren't that fast. I would put Cameron Diaz on top anyway

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bi22le

posted on 26/7/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
It cant be fixed. They would not allow it.

Also wait till JK and Cowell get involved. He will be well down the order.

As they said on the radio today. He owns fast cars and bikes, he is a stunt man and pilots jets, he will be handy at driving!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

thunderace

posted on 26/7/10 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
It cant be fixed. They would not allow it.

Also wait till JK and Cowell get involved. He will be well down the order.

As they said on the radio today. He owns fast cars and bikes, he is a stunt man and pilots jets, he will be handy at driving!!

are you all daft the show is all fixed.

StevieB

posted on 26/7/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
There's not enough times up on the board yet to know what a fast time really is - give it until this time next series and see how it looks.

You have to bear in mind the fastest time was set by someone who's not been driving all that long, so probably not really all that fast.

Irony

posted on 26/7/10 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
It wouldn't surprise me if Tom C had had previous racing experience. He's a well known thrill seeker so I bet he's had some sort of lessons. You'd think he might have had a couple 'o' track days when filming the 'epic' Days of Thunder.

Jon Ison

posted on 26/7/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
It cant be fixed ? Only takes one phone call, where was you all Sunday afternoon ?

nitram38

posted on 26/7/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
This is the clip here

morcus

posted on 27/7/10 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think its a fix, as above hardly anyones been out so far. The Group ones never seem to be as quick as the normal ones.

They might have given them more practice laps than others (Since the Lacetti they get a certain number of practices and a specific timed lap, but they have fudged this a few times, including for JK).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Agriv8

posted on 27/7/10 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
so the lap we see isnt the timmed lap Ok.

The car is loosening up yep. but a full second faster thats quite a bit on a 1:17 lap.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.