Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: So do I call Trading standards?
graememk

posted on 6/9/10 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
So do I call Trading standards?

I own a little computer shop in a small town in Lincolnshire, I’ve been here for 11 years and have a good reputation. I know most of the other computer geeks in the area and we all get on quite well most of them pop there head in for a coffee or a tea every few days, borrowing parts, stock ect of each other if we get stuck.

Now there’s a shop that opened up about 10 miles away a few years ago, and like every company you cant keep every one happy, but I get so many complaints about them its unreal, already today at 11am I’ve had two people in the shop moaning.

Last week I had a 3 week old computer in to fix that had two screws missing from the motherboard, video card wasn’t new, onboard sound didn’t have the drivers installed so it had a pci sound card in, 775 cpu cooler not clipped onto the board hence why it keeps shutting down(the fault it came in with).
COA was a upgrade on a new build, had a mix of sata and ide hard drives, both only had screws in one side of the chassis, cables not tie wrapped up out of the way of the fans I could go on and on.

I get people in my shop moaning that they bough ink from him that doesn’t work, just cheap refills that look like they have come from ebay.

Last week I had a laptop that had been repaired by them in the shop that had a mix of the wrong and right screws in it most of them in the wrong places, and the dvd rom fell out in my hand.

This morning I had a lady in who’s had a new hard drive installed, now as I’m a arse I write on my computers in UV marker pen so I thought I would check it, and yes it’s the same hard drive that I installed 2 years ago dated with my signature, clear to see under UV light.

So do I call Trading standards? Or just leave it. The company is clearly ripping people off

omega0684

posted on 6/9/10 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
DO IT! I HATE SCAMMING BAR-STEWARDS!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 6/9/10 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Well, on the one hand it sounds like they're generating good business for you.

Ultimately I'd log a call with Trading Standards though. In the same way the motor trade doesn't have the best of reps, one bad apple can taint everyones reputation within a trade.

escary

posted on 6/9/10 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
reluctantly i would

i feel your pain, proof is gonna be difficult.

playing devils advocate, how can you prove that the writing in the hard drive wasn't done by you this morning?

i don't believe that this is the case, it would help if the other local shops backed up your concerns.

Gut reactions are generally the absolute test point, if it feels right it generally is and only you can answer how you felt at the time.

My view would be report them

hope this helps

regards

Ewan

GMPMotorsport

posted on 6/9/10 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Make the call, you have a duty to get these low lifes shut down, be sure they would/will do it to you!

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

I think the customers should be calling trading standards rather than you - you could be accused of a conflict of interest. I'd bet his mates will start complaining about you to trading standards if you get directly involved.

Maybe help the victims with a sheet of easy to follow instructions on how to make the complaint.

p.s. if he's that bad I'd bet his VAT returns have errors in his favour

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

scootz

I guess so... or you could offer to write a small report for each of your customers who've been conned by this guy detailing exactly what he has (or hasn't as the case may be) done and encourage them to complain to TS.

It's Evolution Baby!

expatkiwi

posted on 6/9/10 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
The last 2 posts above mine I totally agree with. I feel your pain also and went through a similar thing with the best engine builder. That is actually still on going but its worth it.
I think the written report is the way to go as you have respectability on your side.
As for that little bug at the bottom of your post I nearly pushed my screen off the back of the desk trying to kill it and hence you would have got me as a customer

I have decided to call my Westfeild "The Caterhammer" Hopefully it will

Fozzie

posted on 6/9/10 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I guess so... or you could offer to write a small report for each of your customers who've been conned by this guy detailing exactly what he has (or hasn't as the case may be) done and encourage them to complain to TS.

+1

It is the customer/s who has been wronged.
Although you are rightly very angry on their behalf, it is they who should be reporting, armed with a report from you would help their case/s.

Trading Standards would be expecting the aggrieved customer/s to be reporting in the first instance.

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Hellfire

posted on 6/9/10 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
It'll all end in tears if you report him...

Advise his customers to take their problems back to the original source i.e. him, maybe with a "verbal" advisory note. Putting in down in writing could be legally, a minefield for you.

I'd advise his customers that if they are unhappy with him (following your advice) maybe they should contact Trading Standards.

Stv

Tipster69

posted on 6/9/10 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
I think the customers should be calling trading standards rather than you - you could be accused of a conflict of interest. I'd bet his mates will start complaining about you to trading standards if you get directly involved.

I'm with the poster quoted above.

It's not really your place to be doing it, but the customers (imho).

[Edited on 6/9/10 by Tipster69]

02GF74

posted on 6/9/10 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
it is the customer that should do this - you can provide info. to help their case.

If I worked for T.S. it somehow smell bad if one business starts compaining about another.

Tyeh generate buisnes for you but I guess if they were gone, you would have their business too so it is a win-win for you.

mrwibble

posted on 6/9/10 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
what he said ^

[Edited on 6/9/10 by mrwibble]

Danozeman

posted on 6/9/10 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with above. if you do it it will end in tears for you.

Advise your customers whats happened and suggect that they ring them.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

se7en

posted on 6/9/10 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
I ran a computer business similar to you but I had a few coming back with complaints about other companies botched work. I would give them a report on their equipment to enable them to go to the other retailer or Trading Standards.

I believe the proper procedure would be for you to provide a written report on what you find wrong with the customers PC. Tell it as it is, if you believe its wrong then say so.

Advise your customer to take the complaint to Trading Standards. As previously said, you are not the one offended or complaining. The customer should file your report with their complaint. This is sufficient for TS to look into the matter.

HTH

Tom

Daddylonglegs

posted on 6/9/10 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Get the customers to take it up either with TS or the other trader. Using your reports as a back-up as already said. It would be a real shame if you did it and it bit you in the proverbial

Failing that, get a contract out

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

adithorp

posted on 6/9/10 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I think it's down to your customers to make the complaint. You'd obviously have a vested interest in them getting into trouble and although TS probably believe you they won't be able to act.

We're part of the local Trading Standards run "Fair Play Charter". It's relativly cheap (£50/year), they do an annual check etc, has thier backing and signage and so gives the customer some reasurance. Might be worth asking if they run anything in your area. Mention you want to stand out from the cowdoys like XXXXX.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ReMan

posted on 6/9/10 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
+1
Encourage the customer to contact them if they feel let down.
But at the end of the day people ar'nt daft and if he's that bad he wont be there much longer and you're getting his business now

Humbug

posted on 6/9/10 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
+ another 1: encourage the punters to complain to Trading Standards; you can help them by giving a clear, factual, non-emotional report (probably 1 page would be enough) on what you found when you opened up Machine XYZ after the customer reported problem Y.
adithorp

posted on 6/9/10 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan

But at the end of the day people ar'nt daft...

Oh yes they are! If they think they're getting a bargain they'll go in thier droves.

If they weren't they'd all go by reputation and recommendation and not price.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

graememk

posted on 6/9/10 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
well people still buy from GTS dont they ?

JacksAvon

posted on 6/9/10 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Having been to the "little computer shop in a small town in Lincolnshire" I can say that the standards there are very good.

The same can not be said of the other shop 10 miles away.

ReMan

posted on 6/9/10 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JacksAvon
Having been to the "little computer shop in a small town in Lincolnshire" I can say that the standards there are very good.

The same can not be said of the other shop 10 miles away.

Is he on your books Graeme

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.