Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FI R1 air filter
charlie_pank

posted on 1/1/11 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
FI R1 air filter

Hi I think I'm going to have to get rid of the airbox altogether and run with either a sausage or or a sock on each trumpet. Can anyone tell me why I wouldn't want to just have a sock on each trumpet? If I should get a sausage can anyone recommend a supplier who will help me get the right backing plate for a 2006 R1?

thanks

Charlie

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2760
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 1/1/11 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
With socks or sausage filter you'll probably fail any drive by noise test at track days due to the induction noise.

[Edited on 1/1/11 by CRAIGR]

sonic

posted on 1/1/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Demon thieves do them for a R1 or they did when i bought one a year ago
Hellfire

posted on 1/1/11 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
ITG Air Filters. It might be cheaper to buy a blank baseplate and drill the holes yourself. Better still, get a template from someone and make the complete baseplate.

Phil

[Edited on 1-1-11 by Hellfire]

mcg

posted on 1/1/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
If anyone can give any further clarification on this, I'd certainly be interested to hear? I was planning to use plain and simple socks for the bike carbs I have as I figured the cheapest and easiest way to go, plus I think they look pretty cool. However, mine is a track day car only so maybe I need to rethink this a bit?

Quote:
With socks or sausage filter you'll probably fail any drive by noise test at track days due to the induction noise.

[Edited on 1/1/11 by mcg]

MK9R

posted on 2/1/11 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
You will have noise problems with sausage or sock, my zx9 ST was always a problem even with a huge can. You also lose a hell of a lot of power not using a decent airbox, its definitely worth investing in one or using the stock box. I am just installing a 5vy r1 aswell, my plan is after a couple of small mods, turning the throttle bodies around 180 degrees and keeping the standard airbox (with modified air inlet point). One of the other RGB'ers has done the same and his car goes like stink.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
charlie_pank

posted on 2/1/11 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
I had thought about turning the TBs around, the trouble is that the cross-section of the inlet is not a circle, there are some grooves carved into it, you could get it to fit, but the grooves are presumably there for a reason and they wouldn't match up if you turn the TBs around.
rotax78

posted on 2/1/11 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
what about something like this, it's passed noise at track days no probs.

[Edited on 2/1/11 by rotax78]

mcg

posted on 2/1/11 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Kinda hijacking here! Sorry!

- are these bike carbs / bike engine? if anyone has any more pics of their airbox on bike carbs with car engine that would be really helpful.

I have seen lots of cars that have been IVA'd (pinto with bike carbs) with the sausage filter. So the noise requirments are a different kettle of fish when it comes to track days vs road use then? Bet the air intake sounds great when at full chat! Shame to loose it!!!

quote:
Originally posted by rotax78
what about something like this, it's passed noise at track days no probs.

[Edited on 2/1/11 by rotax78]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.