Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting rear diff
Benzine

posted on 26/7/04 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Fitting rear diff

So i went to fit my rear diff today and its too wide at the top by 16mm. The bottom bolt that goes all the way through fits fine but the top section where 2 bolts fit through the braket is too wide. Any solutions? Can the brackets be bent that far (i ask here before actually doing it of course ) or do i need to get a new bracket done?

Spanks in advance

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad-butcher

posted on 26/7/04 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
never heard of that one before. which of the sierra range is it off. of what i've heard fords made 2 but the wide one is rare as they where fitted to the group 2 cosworths . sounds more like some-one has taken a hacksaw to it.. just put a spacer in
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 26/7/04 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh what i mean is the bracket is too small and the diff is too wide. Heres a quick diagram (MS Paint rules!)

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Berwyn

posted on 26/7/04 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like you may have a 7 1/2 inch diff there. The MK chassis will take a 7inch diff. That is a standard non lsd diff, or the 7 inch 4x4 lsd. Sounds like you may have one of the cosy 7 1/2 jobbies there. Not sure if there is a work around, but search the forum on 7 1/2 inch diff's, you may find a fix, but i dont hold out much hope.
Think you may be having a trip to the scrappy soon for another diff

have a look at http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=9798

[Edited on 26/7/04 by Berwyn]

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not

mookaloid

posted on 26/7/04 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I had a discussion with MK on this whilst building my car. They can easily modify your chassis to take the wider diff - the only thing is you have to take it back to them!
Benzine

posted on 27/7/04 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
rats Any other options that don't invlove transporting the chassis and not replacing the diff?

[Edited on 27/7/04 by Benzine]

James

posted on 27/7/04 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think there really are any other options- other than cutting out a piece of the diff mount each side and welding on an appropriately spaced piece on the outside- messy!

Atb,

James

Hellfire

posted on 27/7/04 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Ben,

could you not swap your diff for a 7" one, from the place you bought it?

Benzine

posted on 27/7/04 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I didn't buy it, i got it from a donor sierra. What about angle grinding off some of the top section where one of the 2 bolts goes into? It overhangs and theres enough to take off to make it fit, just wondering about the thread left afterwards

James

posted on 27/7/04 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at this picture of my diff:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=silver_diff.jpg

Are you sure that the mounts have enough 'meat' to warrant losing 8mm off each side? Also, even if you remove that material will you be able to fit it in even then? I imaging there may be clearance issues with the body of the diff.

Cheers,

James

Benzine

posted on 27/7/04 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Looking at this picture of my diff:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=silver_diff.jpg

Are you sure that the mounts have enough 'meat' to warrant losing 8mm off each side? Also, even if you remove that material will you be able to fit it in even then? I imaging there may be clearance issues with the body of the diff.

Cheers,

James

The right hand bracket is already lined up fine, its just the left hand one so if i did angle grind off some of the diff i doubt allignment would be an issue if that makes any sence

SteveH

posted on 27/7/04 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I've read about it being possible to "Slim down" the 7.5" diff to fit in place of a 7" one.....

Try asking the Ford Sieera Owners Club, here:-

http://callumw.com/fsocforum/viewforum.php?f=22

There a nice bunch & don't bite

If you can shave it down to fit they will know.

James

posted on 28/7/04 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine

The right hand bracket is already lined up fine, its just the left hand one so if i did angle grind off some of the diff i doubt allignment would be an issue if that makes any sence

So the extra 1/2" isn't in the 'centre' of the diff casing then? It's just wider off to one side is it? Ok, well guess you can just take 1/2" off one side then!

Why not just get the 7" diff from a 4x4 then- you'll get an LSD then!

Atb,

James

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.