Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Upgrading trailer to braked axles
ss1turbo

posted on 30/10/11 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Upgrading trailer to braked axles

When I bought my trailer, I didn't even think about looking at the brakes on it - until I realised it doesn't have any... Aside from throwing several hundred pounds at it via Indespensions website, anyone got any ideas?? Looks like its got their "all i one" standard hub units (its a twin axle), a sliding hitch and a handbrake leverbut nowt else....

Long live RWD...

owelly

posted on 30/10/11 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
If you already have the sliding hitch with braking facility and if your hubs have drums and you have backplates fitted, then it should be a case of fitting shoes and linkages.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ss1turbo

posted on 30/10/11 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
If you already have the sliding hitch with braking facility and if your hubs have drums and you have backplates fitted, then it should be a case of fitting shoes and linkages.

Therein lies the problem - none of the hubs are the braked variety (no drums etc). They look to be the old Imperial (Mini PCD) variety as well...

The original use the trailer was built for (and well built IMHO - not a converted caravan chassis job) probably meant that it was less than 750kg laden (1930's Austin 7) - it used to be towed by a Pug 206, so can't have been a lot!

Long live RWD...

owelly

posted on 30/10/11 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
But why use the braked tow hitch if there were never brakes fitted? Is there any mounting holes on the hub carriers for Mini back plates? Would it be possible to retro fit Mini brakes? It's not entirely legal but cheaper than fitting four new braked suspension units at mucho costo!
By the time you've bought the new braked units, cables and linkages, you may be better off buying a different braked trailer or robbong a caravan chassis for it's axles. Post up some piccies of what you have and see what the collective can suggest.

[Edited on 30/10/11 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ss1turbo

posted on 30/10/11 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Have just been looking at ebay for axles - a s/h caravan one (suitably rated) with the cables is about £100 if I can find one about the right size width which is OK. Only had a quick peek at the axles on mine, and they don't appear to have any backplate mountings but will grab a pic and put it up.

Might be cheaper and easier to buy another one, but this is a nice compact trailer just the right size (14ft long so fits in a lockup garage easily)...

Long live RWD...

Neville Jones

posted on 30/10/11 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
If it's an old trailer,(it WAS built before 1992, wasn't it? 0 you can fit Mini or Metro brakes, if the hubs are Mini/Metro. Handbrakes hooked up to the sliding hitch.

If you need to spend bigger money, you can't go past Abbey Trailers in Derby. They sell everything you want at builder prices.

Cheers,
Nev.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.