Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 06 R1 standard Immobiliser
charlie_pank

posted on 25/11/11 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
06 R1 standard Immobiliser

OK, I know that it's difficult to ask questions about immobilisers and ignitions without sounding like I stole a bike, so I'll try and explain up-front. I bought a 2006 R1 engine, ecu, loom etc... from a crashed bike along with the 2 black keys and 1 red key. I've removed the ignition barrel and wired it into a switch, my plan is to have the immobiliser sensor in the driver's seat so it can read the key in my pocket. It has all been going really well and I've had the engine running by taping the key to the immobiliser sensor, flicking my ignition switch and pushing the starter button (hooray!).

The next step for me was to see how far away from the immobiliser the key can be read from, so I tried holding it a couple of feet away and starting the engine again. BIG MISTAKE!!

Now I have the situation where I do the following:

1. Connect battery
2. Tape key to immobiliser
3. Switch on ignition (motorized throttle bodies twitch, EXUP valve twitches, STARTER MOTOR DOESN'T PRIME)
4. Press starter button (engine turns over, but never fires)

I have a number of questions resulting from this lot...

1. What does the immobiliser immobilise? Does it stop the fuel pump from priming (as above) or does it also stop the starter motor from turning? - If the immobiliser normally stops the starter from turning, then obviously I have some other problem!
2. Given that I have the red key, is there some procedure I can go through to make the immobiliser happy again?
3. If I need to go through diagnostics, I think I need to wire an LED into one of the outputs of the ECU (I don't have any clocks for the bike) can anyone tell me which wire to do this on?

If anyone needs any confirmation that I'm not trying to hotwire a stolen bike, I'm happy to send a photo of the engine in the car along with a copy of today's paper!

adithorp

posted on 25/11/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure, but I think the immobiliser stops the engine turning over. In which case thats not your problem. I've got a US version of the loom so no immobiliser so not actually sure.
Do you have sparks? Does the pump run if you put a live direct (via a fuse) to it? Have you checked the tilt switch? The word "UP" should be on the top (not the right way up on the side) and thats caused a few none starts before.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

charlie_pank

posted on 25/11/11 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Problem solved. In case anyone else has the same issue, the key needs to be to within about 5mm of where it would have been held by the ignition. I had it pushed too far through the hole by about 5mm.

This means that the immobiliser DOES NOT stop the engine from turning, but it stops the fuel pump from priming and presumably the injectors from squirting, don't know if it stops the spark too. Hope this information is useful to someone in future...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.