Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Peoples thoughts on this request (selling car related)
Tris

posted on 5/2/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Peoples thoughts on this request (selling car related)

Evening all,

Thought i would put this up here to try and get peoples thoughts on the matter - I sold my Spire GTR a few months ago (Oct) to a guy in Italy via an advert on Pistonheads. Turned out this guy is a bit of a Kit Car trader/fixer, bringing IVA'ed cars from the UK and registering them for the road in Itially for other people.

Anyway funds were received via bank transfer, a suitable length of time set aside for things to clear, and then one day a huge lorry turns up to collect the car. Never met the trader or the end owner.

Job done... Well almost. I get an email a few weeks ago saying that he's going through the registration process and needs a receipt. OK, not an unreasonable request so i create one and email it off. He comes back saying that it must be signed. Again not an unreasonable request. However he's now asking for photocopies of my passport and / or driving licence !.

Really uncomfortable sending him copies of these documents - it wouldn't be seen as unreasonable to tell him to sod off, so to speak ?

Cheers
Tris

[Edited on 5/2/12 by Tris]

MakeEverything

posted on 5/2/12 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I woldnt send that. He's got your invoice address and invoice. There was no mention of these other things in the sale contract?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

rdodger

posted on 5/2/12 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
I sold a kit to a guy in Poland last year.

He required a receipt and for me to sign a declaration to say what I sold (parts etc) as it was unfinished.

No passport/driving licence etc. Why would he need those?

Andi

posted on 5/2/12 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
A photocopy should not be valid anyway

Andi

MakeEverything

posted on 5/2/12 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andi
A photocopy should not be valid anyway

Andi

But it does give appropriate numbers and identification to be cloned.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Humbug

posted on 5/2/12 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
If you've got the money and he's got the car plus a receipt (reasonable enough), then I think that should be the end of it.

...having said that, I sold a kit car to a German guy who came and collected it, and I took a scan of his ID card so I could "prove" ,if necessary, to the DVLA who had it. All I gave to him was a receipt and the car docs.

Lightning

posted on 5/2/12 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Triss.
I would deffo say enough is enough. It was not a condition of the sale, you have the money
Steve

Steve

mark chandler

posted on 5/2/12 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
An Italian chap tried to buy my XK8, it all became very painful so I cancelled and sold to someone else in England.

It started off being a car for him, then became a car for his mate.....
He was going to drive back, then a transporter was going to collect......
Then he wanted me to arrange a recovery lorry to collect it so it could the be rolled off this into the back of a lorry......

I had to provide a reciept for the sale and copies of the registration document, I cannot see why he needs your passport as enough information exists on the registration document, tell him to get stuffed !

Dusty

posted on 6/2/12 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote
Registering kit cars in Italy, France and Spain is very difficult. Perhaps a copy of the driving licence of the builder would help him get this done.
Not sure what harm he can do with an emailed photo of your driving licence but then I am pretty unworldly when it comes to scams. Passport is a definite no.

designer

posted on 6/2/12 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
I am in France, and the previous owner, or builder, has nothing to do with getting any car re-registered.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 6/2/12 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I would at least ask why he wants it, out of curiosity more than anything, with a view to eventually telling him to get stuffed.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Proby

posted on 6/2/12 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
I would at least ask why he wants it, out of curiosity more than anything, with a view to eventually telling him to get stuffed.

ere ere, that's what I'd be inclined to do as well!

bobinspain

posted on 6/2/12 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
Registering kit cars in Italy, France and Spain is very difficult. Perhaps a copy of the driving licence of the builder would help him get this done.
Not sure what harm he can do with an emailed photo of your driving licence but then I am pretty unworldly when it comes to scams. Passport is a definite no.

carimportinspain have just today completed documentation to road register my MK Indy-R Busa.
All that was req'd was the V5c.

Noise, emissions and engineer's report gets it through the itv (mot).
Admin with trafico gets a 'ficha tecnica' and 'permiso de circulacion' and road tax plus Spanish plates.
As you say, it's difficult, but handing the whole shebang over to someone who knows the ropes (pitfalls) is sensible.

designer

posted on 6/2/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

carimportinspain have just today completed documentation to road register my MK Indy-R Busa. All that was req'd was the V5c.

And how much does it cost?

Antnicuk

posted on 6/2/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
you could do a couple of things. Firstly, scan your passport/license then black out the driver/passport number and D.O.B. Anything else can be guessed or is already known like your name and address so no harm can be done. Or you could ask for a link or copy of the official document that states its required.

Or tell him you dont have a license or a passport .........................

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

bobinspain

posted on 6/2/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
quote:

carimportinspain have just today completed documentation to road register my MK Indy-R Busa. All that was req'd was the V5c.

And how much does it cost?

Breakdown as follows:
Trafico fees 92e
plates 29e
road tax 150e
ITV 70e (lasts 4 years on a new car, then every 2 years up to 10 years, then annually).
Engineer's report 120e
carimportinspain fee 785e

Approx 1250e in total. The importer's fee has to be put in perspective. Horror stories abound about attempts to get cars homologated for road use here, only to end in failure and cost. Chris Dann (carimportinspain) does what he says he'll do, "get the car fully matriculated for road use."
He's hust done a GBS Zero (Rhocar website) which involved 5 hours work re-mapping the Emerald ecu to ensure emissions were within limits.
MK ensured my car was within limits (noise and emissions) when it left them with a cat fitted and the PC5 disconnected. Chris has now removed the cat and re-fitted the 'normal' exhaust and re-connected the PC, so I'm back with the Dynotune rolling road setup of 175 bhp at the wheels.
I know it's not exactly 'locost,' but it's the only way to ensure the car's fully road-legal here.
The trafico police are red hot here.

Hope this is useful.
Regards, Bob.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.