Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What to do when scrapping a donor car?
randombloke

posted on 12/4/12 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
What to do when scrapping a donor car?

Hi Everyone,

Have a question, nearly finished stripping all the parts from my donor car and started thinking about what happens when you scrap it. Normally you would complete the yellow section on the V5 to notify the DVLA that the car is end of life but as I want to re-use the parts do I still complete the yellow section? And if not what do I need to do instead?

Thanks,
Philip

loggyboy

posted on 12/4/12 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Keep the V5, if you want to dispose of the shell, then you will need to just litteraly dispose of it as 'scrap metal' not a car.
If you notify the car as scrapped you will not be able to use it as a donor come registration time.

bonzoronnie

posted on 12/4/12 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Depends if you are intending to keep the donor car on SORN
You will need to do this if you are intending to use the donors V5 a proof of donor parts when it comes to DVLA registration ( Going for an age related number plate )

If you just want rid of the donor car & don't wish to retain the V5, simply take the car ( or have collected ) to/by a licensed vehicle recycler.
Give them the complete V5 document & they will register the vehicle as scrapped.

If you are intending to keep the V5 on SORN

Completely remove all identity tags/VIN numbers ( May pay to keep these )

Once all identity has been removed, take or call a scrap metal merchant & dispose of the donor as scrap metal.

If you let them know what you are doing they'll be understanding enough

Made the mistake of leaving the VIN number on the floor of my first Sierra donor and was unable to get a V5 because some jobsworth at the breakers registered the vehicle as scrapped

[Edited on 12/4/12 by bonzoronnie]

Slimy38

posted on 12/4/12 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
I intend to chop up the slam panel and floor where the VIN plates are kept, hold on to those parts and register the car as SORN, then dispose of the rest either at a scrapyard or the local rag and bone man (depending on whether it still resembles a car after I've picked it clean!!)
ashg

posted on 12/4/12 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
chop out all the numbers scrap the shell keep the v5 and hand it in when you register the kit. as part of the registration process of the kit they will then scrap the donor.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

randombloke

posted on 12/4/12 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
So glad I asked this question as I would have given to the V5 to the scrap collector if not. Thanks for all your help.
40inches

posted on 13/4/12 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Metal scrap is going for around 35p a kilo if you can get the shell to a scrappy.

whitestu

posted on 13/4/12 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

If you notify the car as scrapped you will not be able to use it as a donor come registration time.

That's probably correct based on the DVLA rules, but then again the DVLA don't know their own rules so it isn't always the case.

I scrapped my donor and still used it as part of the registration process, and got an age related plate.

Stu

nogger827

posted on 25/5/12 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I intend to chop up the slam panel and floor where the VIN plates are kept, hold on to those parts and register the car as SORN, then dispose of the rest either at a scrapyard or the local rag and bone man (depending on whether it still resembles a car after I've picked it clean!!)

if you give as mondeos at wendsbury a bell and tell them nogger told you to call he'll come and collect the remains just explain you need to keep the log book for your kit he's spot on mate

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.