Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Am I being shafted ? (eBay S2000)
Flintstone

posted on 16/7/12 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Am I being shafted ? (eBay S2000)

Hi Guys,

I just recently won an auction on eBay for a 2007 Honda S2000 with 35000 mile on the clock as a donor vechile. My intention were to strip the car of the parts I require and sell the rest as like many you of have done in the past.

So let me go ahead and explain my situation, this aution was only a 3 day which ended on Saturday morning. On Friday I made several phone calls and sent an email to the seller asking if the motor had been damanged. He reply to my email @18:35 on Friday evening after I had spoke to him on the phone that although the car had lost loads of fluids in the accident they still believe that the car is repairable and the motor should still run, but can not guarantee anything.

On Saturday morning 59 Seconds after I had won the auction I received an email from staying that late last night they had found out that the engine had been damaged and was hoping that was not the main part that I was after. (Bearing in that in his previous email he stated that they do not guarantee anything, so why tell me after the auction) Now this may all sound normal but the winning bid for the car £2050.00 which we all know is a very good price for such a car.

I then phoned him immediately and told him that I want to come view the car on Tuesday and that I would call him back on Monday to make arrangement. So I phone today and spoke to his colleague who informed that he was on holiday, I told him that I wanted to come collect the car on Thursday and said the car would only be released fromt the breakers/ insurance yard a week from Thursday. Also he has not request any form of payment or even a deposit.

So my dilemma is that I feel the seller was hopping to get more for the car and is reluctant to sell the car to me.
Has anyone else had a similar experience on eBay and what is the best way to deal with this?

maccmike

posted on 16/7/12 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
your very possibly spot on.
2g's a lot for a non runner, take the opportunity and back out?

britishtrident

posted on 16/7/12 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Walk away from it fast and chalk it down to experience.
Look at it this way if you do prise it off the seller could you be sure he has not done some unseen hard to detect sabotage to it.
Buying a car unseen off an unknown seller is just a wee bit too risky.

The vehicle's identity could well end up as a ringer so print out and hang on to any electronic correspondence between you and the seller and ebay.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

austin man

posted on 16/7/12 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon the breaker is on a loser and trying to put you off Losing fluids in an accident shouldn't really be a problem the car would have possibly only run for seconds after the impact all the internals would have been well oiled. Top and bottom he probably wanted £4k or more

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

PSpirine

posted on 16/7/12 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Modern engines will shut off the second an airbag or impact sensor is triggered. Even if it was spinning at 9k at the moment of impact, I doubt it would have time to seize up.

Sounds like trying to back out of a sale - 2,000 is not a lot for a S2000 (unless every single part on it is damaged).

big_l

posted on 17/7/12 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
My girl friends dad has a s2000 say in his farm yard it's a 55 with 30k on it lady owner from new untill he put it through a hedge

Think he would want 4.5 k for it though Complete car engine starts on the button every time

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

owelly

posted on 17/7/12 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
I would still push to view the car. If you think its no good, walk away. If its what you want, pay up and grin. There is a chance that the engine has been damaged but I'm sure it will be visable. Check the engine mounts, rocker covers, ancilliaries for broken mounts, etc.
Good luck.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 17/7/12 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Remember they have to correctly describe the vehicle or its misrepresentation, EVEN on Ebay. They can be taken to court if its not correctly described, you really wanted. They can say nothing about the vehicle and be safe, but what they do say, muct be correct.

I would go an look, and then decide if you want to walk away. Depends on the distance etc.

I saw a motorhome being won on Ebay last week, and within in the hour it was back on as a classified ad for twice the price it went at auction. with a note saying the buyer messed him about. I think he decided it did not sell for enough and wouldnt sell at £2k as it was re-listed within the hour for £4k as a classified.
Bad show on the part of the seller.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Neville Jones

posted on 17/7/12 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I can see the problems. As I read your post, they don't actually have the car in their possession.

So, the easy get out is that they are selling something they don't have possession of. Has this been put in the ebay description?

It's like me advertising a car, getting a buyer, then going and finding a car to pass on to the buyer when I've got his money. Illegal at best.

Cheers,
Nev.

jossey

posted on 17/7/12 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck with it but something doesn't sound right.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

coppins999

posted on 17/7/12 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Have to agree with others that I think seller was hoping for more for the car than £2k. If the engine and gearbox are good then you've got yourself a great bargain. Without then it may be borderline depending on what is salvageable and how much you value your time.

As a long time S2000 owner, I've made a hobby of looking for second hand bits, both on ebay and the main S2000 forum (S2ki). Parts prices are very strange, with some individual parts worth a lot more than you would first expect. A full set of 17" OEM alloys and tyres is usually worth £500 to £750 depending on condition and tyres, but 16" worth about £0 to £200!! Interior parts are also strangely priced. The two tone red/black interior parts are worth a premium (I know I hunted for ages!). The wind deflector alone is £60+ also. Another high value item worth looking for is the hard top fitting kit (two bent metal brackets) that only came with the GT cars. These two bits can be worth £400 alone - madness, but the market decides.

It may be worth checking that some of these smaller high value items aren't missing.

PM if you want any help on parts prices or check the s2ki forum for info. p.s. if you get the radio code, may be interested in the radio!!

will121

posted on 17/7/12 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Was it a salvage yard selling it or an individual who was buying it back from his insurer? If a salvage yard seems strange they not quoting it as a cat C or D just that they expect It could be repaired, also if they know it was a runner I would have thought they would make note of it in advert as would increase value. Was there any photo's? If not and on a short 3 day auction wonder if they just trying the market as they know what they bid the insurance company for it. If you still interested as said would get photo's or look and see if runner or got all parts you after first
Flintstone

posted on 17/7/12 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all you responses, I do agree that I think the best is just go view the vehicle.
Nickp

posted on 17/7/12 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'd definately push to view the car, it sounds like he's trying to put you off due to the low sale price. There's some pretty dodgy feedback on there so chances are he'll find a way for you not to buy the car
tul214

posted on 18/7/12 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
NTDWM but is this any use??

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

unijacko67

posted on 31/7/12 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Did you end up getting the s2000 and what condition is the engine, Hope it all went well. Cheers.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

Flintstone

posted on 6/8/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
The seller did seem genuine until about a week ago, now he won't return my calls and when he does answer the phone he just hangs up. I've spoken to a lawyer and they said as it states in eBay's T&C that cars aren't binding they can't do anything. I also tried to take this up with eBay customer services and they told me the same. I just hope carmer come around and this F***ing C**T gets done over by someone else.

People beware of:

JOHN CALLAGHAN

Chesterfield Vehicles Ltd
875 Sheffield Road
Sheepbridge
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
S419EF
United Kingdom

Phone: 07957147147
Phone: 01246 452021
Email:j.callaghan@chesterfieldvehicles.co.uk

[Edited on 6/8/12 by Flintstone]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.