Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Parking 'Charge' - To Pay or Not To Pay
ash_hammond

posted on 20/8/12 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Parking 'Charge' - To Pay or Not To Pay

Gents

I have received a parking charge from the Airport saying a broke the rules. Yes I did, I stopped for 30 seconds while SWMBO got in the car.

I understand that these charges are not legally enforceable and can only be claimed through the small claims court.

Has one got any experience of ignoring them and being taken to court. Second point is that its a company car and does not have my name on it so the company will get the letters and demands etc.

Thoughts welcome.

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

mookaloid

posted on 20/8/12 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure on that one - you need to ask here probably http://www.pepipoo.com/

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

RichardK

posted on 20/8/12 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Car lease company will auto pay the fine and pass it on to your company, plus an admin fee. guess how I know that's what arville lease did anyway.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 20/8/12 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
start by asking for evidence of the alleged offence. no photos shown there, but also, a photo may not be total proof that you actually stopped. get a photo, then depending on the content of the photo (no one in/out the car, doors closed etc) then ask for proof that you ACTUALLY Stopped, ie video. they might give up

if the lease company get the letters, how did you get this?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ash_hammond

posted on 20/8/12 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
The fine is currently unpaid as the letter was send direct to our admin team and missed the lease company.

deezee

posted on 20/8/12 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
We've had one for over 2 years now. We didn't respond as it opens up a line of communication. We just collect the requests and bin em. We get them off solicitors, debt collectors and the fine company. Each one says "its your last chance naughty lad, pay up now or it will get expensive". After 2 years we've got a offer of "pay the original £80 and we'll forget all about solicitor and debt collector fees". So they know they aren't getting anywhere with bully boy tactics.

Ultimately they can't prove who the driver was and they can't prove anyone agreed to the terms. Its not like these places are reasonable with parking fees and spaces, don't really feel obliged to be fair with them.

BenB

posted on 20/8/12 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
If it was my own car I'd pay because otherwise the airport parking might blacklist it. Which would be a bit annoying next time I wanted to park at the airport.

But if it's a hire car I'd ignore it.

coppins999

posted on 20/8/12 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
The signs with the terms and conditions would need to be very large for you to be able to read without stopping.

Could you argue that you only stopped to read the terms and conditions and then went on after you read them

It may be like the sign that reads : "it is an offence to read this sign"

NigeEss

posted on 20/8/12 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Bin it with no communication at all.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Confused but excited.

posted on 20/8/12 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
As you were sitting in the car to collect SWIMBO, you were merely stopped for 30 seconds to allow her to get in, not parked.
If the sign says 'No Stopping', you are guilty, but if it says 'No Parking', then tell them to stuff it.
'Stopping' and 'Parking' are two entirely different actions.
Oops! Just read the small print. No Stopping Zone = You being stuffed. Unless of course, the sign was not clearly legible from your position, in which case you could possibly argue it.

[Edited on 20/8/12 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

ash_hammond

posted on 20/8/12 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chaps. Much Appreciated.

Ash

JoelP

posted on 20/8/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Its either ignore, or tell them you dont know who was driving. I cant imagine they would leave you alone if you tell them it was someone else, so its probably best to ignore them.

There is no moral obligation to play fair with a company that is trying to stuff you!

paulf

posted on 20/8/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
It seems a very common scam, just Google Apcoa parking rip off and see.
Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.