Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA Fail - Bugger!!!!!
DarrenW

posted on 5/12/05 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
SVA Fail - Bugger!!!!!

I think its fair to say that it is official - Cars built in the North are to a better standard than elsewhere. I have to say i enjoyed the complete Gosforth experience today and the standard of the test was very high indeed. I recieved some very favourable comments and in general was highly complimented over the build. Noise, emissions, brakes, mirrors, self centering etc all sailed through. The big positive id that ive got some fail points that not many others have achieved so i can teach you all a couple of things!!! Fail points as follows;

1. Steering column upper UJ - no locking device fitted (ive fitted star lock washer and nyloc now).
2. Starter solenoid positive terminal not insulated. Ring terminal now taped up and covered with split conduit. Nut cover filled with sikaflex pushed over - now capable of passing 4KV earth leakage test!!!!
3. Front brake flexi's not secured correctly to side panel (i put lock nuts on wrong side!).
4. Headlamp bracket not radiussed to 2.5 (i think mine was 2.495mm!!!). Ill fit laower ball joint transit caps over brackets (i hope mac1 have some spare!)
5. Square edge on nose cone not covered correctly (now radiussed 1.5mm).
6. Evidence required to show fuel filler flexi pipe is suitable for fuel.
7. Bonnet close to exhaust affected by heat - i was too clever here trying to make a fancy cut out - now well clear)
8. Dash switches insecure (dash panel flexes - needs bracket).
9. Drivers view obstructed by steering wheel - very rare failure. Book descriprion is hard to understand. (adj column so no wre-adjusted - smaller wheel will be fitted, collapsible aftermarket boss required).
10. Evidence reqd to show max MPH that DigiDash2 can read to (i couldnt prove that it reads to 250MPH, will print off from internet tomorrow).
11. Handbrake cable outer sheath touched side panel (easy fix - trim side panel under wheel arch).
12. Parking brake cable fixings unsuitable at lever - i used U-saddles, not allowed at Gosforth even though accepted at other test centres. Only accepted method is commercially fitted crimped terminations with certification and no joins at lever end. A bit tricky to fix.

All in all nothing major to worry about. Sounds worse than it is. Half fixed already. Iam a bit narked about the handbrake cable fixings but thats life! Elsewhere i would have passed first time (albeit after 2 or 3 minor coffee time corrections)

Ive done 95miles already!! A1(m) at 06.30 this morning was not fun - trucks are HUGE!!!!. I was apprehensive being first major drive out but car performed totally faultless. Drive home on A68 was far more enjoyable.

Hopefully will be retested on Friday or Monday.

Genesis

posted on 5/12/05 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck for the re-test - should sail through it!

Going fishin'

shortie

posted on 5/12/05 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Darren,

Doesn't the DD2 display the max speed when it's turned on!!!?

Rich.

speed8

posted on 5/12/05 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
At least it's running well. Should be easy enough to get through next time.

Good luck with it.

DarrenW

posted on 5/12/05 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, i hope so. Iam quite confident as long as Marks cunning plan for cables is easy to do.

Being completely blunt iam well f***ed off as i was pulling out the stops for first time pass. Up until the cable conundrum all points were fixable very quickly on site. I know for sure that some of my points have been passed elsewhere.

Oh i forgot to say - make sure those rear view mirrorsaer well stuck on!!! I nearly lost mine en-route.

Who has the record for lowest Noise - mine was 93dB at 3,900 revs.
What do people get for weights? Mine were 380 front, 320 rear. Tester was adament that VOSA trials have shown seperate front and back testing to be as accurate as 4 wheel testing!!!! Im not so sure, need to find local weigh bridge some time.

I must say that Mr Gosforth SVA is a top guy - just very very strict. He took time to discuss all points and offer suggestions for countermeasure. He put me at ease and i actualy enjoyed being there.

Guinness

posted on 5/12/05 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Darren

I think David has x-ray vision at Gosforth. Hope you get the remaining items cleared quickly and you'll sail through the re-test.

Mike

DarrenW

posted on 5/12/05 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shortie
Darren,

Doesn't the DD2 display the max speed when it's turned on!!!?

Rich.

Yes it does but i didnt realise that till t was to late!!!!Its easy to print off the websit etech data tho so not a problem. Biggets problem with DD2 is that it doesnt show hazard tell tale with ign off! therefore not 100% SVA compliant as advertised.
I had to recalibrate the dash for speed test - i now know you have to power down and reboot for the new calibration settings to take effect!!

greggors84

posted on 5/12/05 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
How have you got your front geometry set up?

Im guessing the Mac1 front end is very similar to the MK Indy's.

With everyone talking about the poor self centering of the Indy recently, I was abit worried about mine as it wasnt exactly great on the road.

Sounds like you havent got a massive list to get on with, handbrake cable could be a bit tricky. Im sure someone said a sailing shop can do proper fixings on the end of cables.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Humbug

posted on 6/12/05 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
...Who has the record for lowest Noise - mine was 93dB at 3,900 revs.
What do people get for weights? Mine were 380 front, 320 rear.

I had 93db at whatever rpm they measure it, 270kg front axle, 288kg rear.

...sounds like you had a tougher time than I did. Still, at least you've got the list of things to fix. Good luck next time.

jos

posted on 6/12/05 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that Darren. I'll be interested to see the solution for your handbrake. My two ideas were to hide the cut cable in the drum itself - undetectable as wheels off in SVA centre is a no no or cutting the cable to length on the bias one side and then crimping the connector on to length. Maybe MAC#1 would be the commercial outlet??

Ive got some lower ball joint transit caps in my box of bits which I'll dig out and post to you today.

Looks like by this time next week we should both have MAC certificates in our grubby mits.

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

furyblade35

posted on 6/12/05 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
DD2 SVA

Hi Darren,

Sorry to hear that you will need to go for a retest! It happens to the everyone, including the kit manufacturers!

I did the design work on DD2 and here are my responses to your queries in order to help you for your next test!

Hazards: On every car I've put through SVA I have always used a switch that has the Hazard symbol on and a built in light.

This satisfies the SVA requirment.

Hence my preference was to assume everyone would do a similar thing as most cars have a switch like this.

If you don't want to use an illuminated hazard switch then there is nothing stopping you having a normal switch and applying power to the dash when the Hazrds are selected! The igintion will be off. e.g a double pole switch.

Calibration Values:
These are reloaded automatically after exit from the setup menus so no need to reboot!

I hope this helps.

Best of luck with the next test.

Cheers,
Alistair.

DarrenW

posted on 6/12/05 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Greggors - front suspension was set up as follows;
Mushroom hole to the front.
Both front wheels toeing out (i lined my eye up off back wheels and wound steering arms till front wheels just started to look daft).

With just these two settings and 20psi in tyres it just attempted to self centre but drove horridly. At test sentre i blew them both up to 35psi and self centering was great.

Jos - i cant do the hide the join in drum trick. He has seen the problem now and requires full photographic evidence, certificates from crimp place and a letter from the Queen. I could have got away with a solder on end at one of the drums had i done that before (silver solder that is). As Mike has said Mr Gosforth has x-ray vision.

I know everyone has the sctrictest tester in the world on their day but i think us Northern guys defo get the guy who pursuades us to have the safest cars on the roads. To be honest i have no problem with this apart from the fact it scuppered my first time pass plans.

Ill discuss handbrake with Mac1 today.

Syd Bridge

posted on 6/12/05 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Find a local yacht riggers shop, and they'll be able to put crimp ends on the handrake cables. Many styles available.

Syd.

DarrenW

posted on 6/12/05 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Syd. Unfortunately there are not so many of those yachting types up here. I have some ideas. Best one so far is that Mac#1 are doing there usual first class customer service bit and making me what i need to re-fit and pass.

It looks like i need to have an allegro style 2 cable design with T bar at the lever and 2 adjusters.
Single cable idea is great in theory but threading the inner cable with commercially applied crimp end in situ does not sound like fun (if at all possible). I have to show prrof that the ends have been applied with force - hence no grub screws or soldering!!!

All very strict but for the right reasons. At the end o fthe day i could have my duaghters or wife in the car so need it to be A1 - nothing less.

DarrenW

posted on 8/12/05 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Handbrake - Mac#1's legendary customer service wins the day again. I collected a whole new handbrake cable system yesterday from mac#1 FOC. How good is that. I cannot praise Mac#1 highly enough. Cables are now fitted, just need to connect the new adjuster mechanism and that is another job fixed.

I have to say that i dont have as much confidence over the nipple ended cables as i did with the clamps. Previous method had 3 seperate clamps. One would hold the cable, the other two lessen any risk of failure. Now iam relying on 2 seperate nipples. It only takes one to fail and i have no handbrake. However this is what SVA want to see so that is what they get.

Mac#1 also provided me with letters to explain the compliance of the fuel delivery hose. I hope those satisfy the SVA requirement.

SVA retest re-booked for Monday. All jobs should be completed by tomorrow night.

Guinness

posted on 8/12/05 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck for Monday Darren. You'll be in and out in no time.

Just tell David "I never use the handbrake anyway!"

Cheers

Mike

DarrenW

posted on 8/12/05 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mike. I dont think he will buy that excuse. I also bet he has been reading my posts! Sad fact is that your comment is true. Being a light car you dont have to pull it on very far to hold the car as well.

Im looking forward to the retest - if it is half as good as the first one i will have an enjoyable time. My only iffy bits now are;
1. Brakes - just scraped thro first time and have to be retested because iam moving a lock nut on the flexi's. They are all new and i hardly touched them this Monday so nowhere near bedded in. I was surprised to find that the engine braking is so effective being such a light car that i only needed to apply them at low speed to come to a full stop. Ill probs drive up A68 this time as that will give me more opportunity to apply them en route. They feel good on the road.
2. Fuel hose - i hope he accepts the Mac#1 letter. It states all of the relevant standards that the hose conforms to and mac#1 are the supplier. They have stamped and signed the letter to show that it is official. Im sure some people have construced their own letters on a PC before but at least i can rest easy knowing that all of my paperwork is 100% right.

I have just recieved a collapsible boss off Jon Beedle (incredibly fast delivery - thanks Jon). I can now fit my 13" wheel. David has already told me what i have to fit to pass if i use aftermarket wheel. mine was a small fortune and looks to be fully compliant (no holes in spokes, spokes rounded to 2.5mm etc). Some SVA centres dont allow aftermarket wheels so iam happy in the knowledge that David fully explained how to pass. It has to be said that he was most helpful when going through the fail points to explain how to countermeasure. Ive followed all of his comments to the letter.

The drive home on Monday was great. I didnt go mad. Plenty of traffic slowed me down but i was relaxed knowing the car was fundamentally good. Davids positive comments really made me proud that i have built a nice car. Im looking forward to the cosmetic mods soon so i can make it look good (stickers and stripes etc).

Im getting excited now. Just hope i dont have a bad hangover on Monday - youngests christening on Sunday. We have a big do planned. You can come down if you want.

I was just thinking, im hoping Carolyn will be having a drive up with me. We will probs call into Dobbies garden centre afterwards for a coffee. If you are free it could be a good photo opportunity. Peter Barrats might be closer (cant remember how to get there from the test centre tho'.

Could you remind me how to get to the test centre from the A1??? I was following my Dad on Monday, it was dark and i was pre-occupied. For the life of me i cant rememeber the route!!!!!

[Edited on 8/12/05 by DarrenW]

Guinness

posted on 8/12/05 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'd love to come down, but I'll see how it goes. It's my works party on Friday / Saturday / Sunday. We're off to Amsterdam for the weekend, so I might feel a bit rough on Sunday. Then again a blast down the 68 might sort me out!

I know what you mean about David. I thought some of his points were a bit OTT at the time, but with the benefit of hindsight, I think that as a total, fixing all of those individual items has made for a better finished car. To be fair to him for every point he could suggest a solution.

I would now be confident if I ever came to sell the car that it had been completed to a good standard.

Cheers

Mike

Guinness

posted on 8/12/05 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I'll be in work on Monday, assuming I'm not dead / ill.

On the A1 heading North you go up the hill to the Airport turn and down the otherside, with Tesco on the left, towards Morpeth. Don't come off at the next slip road (Gosforth) stay on the A1. You should be passing the building site that is Great Park. Come off at the A1056, down the slip road, turn right at the roundabout, and take the exit towards McDonalds / Travel Inn thingy. To the next roundabout you should have the Marriot hotel straight on, turn left and then right at next roundabout. Should be on Sandy Lane then. Test centre on the left, just past the big sweeping right hander.

Who needs sat nav eh?

Mike

P.S. Peter Barrats is easy, come out of test centre, turn left, go to opposite end of Sandy Lane, turn almost right around the roundabout and it's down the lane that is the exit before heading back down Sandy Lane! (Bet I can go quicker round that roundabout quicker than you!)

[Edited on 8/12/05 by Guinness]

DarrenW

posted on 8/12/05 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that. I might take you up on the roundabout challenge when weather dries up (ill have to learn to drive first!). Its strange being so low to the ground and open to the elements. The cars seem a lot wider than they are.

You seem to know where PB is very well! Do you get dragged round there on Sundays by SWIMBO as well???? Im often at Stockton branch. I blame that for buying the BMW from Preston Hall!!! (dealer is almost next door).

Hope you have a good weekend. We'll have to arrange a pint (Coke of course!)somewhere, also see if Geoff is free.

Guinness

posted on 8/12/05 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea, Northern Locostbuilders Christmas drink somewhere! Pub, cars, coke! Don't forget Chris_R too!

Mike

DarrenW

posted on 9/12/05 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Here is handbrake solution if anyone is interested Rescued attachment hbrake10.JPG
Rescued attachment hbrake10.JPG

DarrenW

posted on 9/12/05 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
and another Rescued attachment hbrake11.JPG
Rescued attachment hbrake11.JPG

DarrenW

posted on 9/12/05 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
one more Rescued attachment hbrake12.JPG
Rescued attachment hbrake12.JPG

whitestu

posted on 21/1/06 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I cut my cable at the drum end and mig welded the original nipple back on.

This seems to be very strong although I can't imagine how Mr SVA will assess it, other than asking me what I have done.

Is questioning by the inspector part of the SVA or is it all based on the inspection?

Stu

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.