Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DigiDash rpm reading (yes... again)
JoaoCaldeira

posted on 19/7/06 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
DigiDash rpm reading (yes... again)

Hi all....

I'm having a few problems.
Digidash 2 Lite (4.17)
2003 R1

I've connected the DD yellow wire to the orange/black (ECU Nr.8) aka injection

The problem is when it is reading, it reads correct (at least almost) - I've used the PowerCommander pc interface to compare.

But some times it just stops reading, displaying the last rpm it gathered; usually this happens when the rpm change is marginal - up to 100 rpm per second - but in the end it leaves a huge gap to reality.

If I give it a few hard presses on the right foot he starts reading again... ujntil it stops

Anyone had these symptoms?

Joao

RichieC

posted on 20/7/06 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I know Joao, the RPM feed which would go to the clocks is mixed with the diagnostic info aswell. Therefore, some users have found prblems with using that for the RPM feed.

Try it directly from a HT cable to compare

Rgds

Rich

tks

posted on 20/7/06 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
digital / analog dash

I think that the dashboard is only 100% analog or 100% digital

the digital signal wouldn´t be usefull for the digidash sow if it reads correctly i would say its analog.

then you have to search for the problem now..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

progers

posted on 20/7/06 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Joao,

The solution for the 2003R1 is to get a small converter box from ETB that conditions the feed from the coils. i.e. low level signal from ecu goes in this box and is transalted into a nice fat square wave which the digidash has no problems reading. They now have this available.

Using the injector wire is not ideal although it may work. I have the feed from the coils and it does the same as you describe - it freezes at low rpm. At higher rpm its OK.

Apparently this only affects the 2002/3 injected R1 as the signal from the ECU is much lower than other models (and other manufacturers).

- Paul

ChrisGamlin

posted on 20/7/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I noticed the other day that mine does the same at low revs, it was saying ~1900rpm when in reality it was idling at 1000rpm as confirmed by plugging in the Yamaha clocks.
I'll probably re-wire it when I do the Phoenix, but its not a big problem really, as long as it read OK at high RPM.

furyblade35

posted on 21/7/06 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Paul is correct in that on some R1 models the drive to the electronic coils is very different to all other engines, coils and ECUs encountered to date.

Becasue the R1 has debug information on the ECU output for RPM then I would suggest:
1) use injection wires.
2) use a signl conditioning box from ETB that cleans up the signal. This box will only work for R1 applications.

The freezing is really the dash saying "hold on, I'm dropping pulses because the drive signal is not within range, don't start flapping the RPM reading about, hold the last one until we have some decent data to work with", hence the freezing....

Al.

progers

posted on 21/7/06 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Al,

I presume you mean

2) Use the coil feed with the signal conditioning box ?

i.e. not injection wires with conditioning box

Just thought I would clarify

Cheers

Paul

Bob C

posted on 21/7/06 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
injection wires should have a pulse per bang just like ignition ones - but the pulse should have a nicer waveform..... Downside is pulse duration varies a lot (controlling amount of petrol) & some may not inject at all on overrun!

Bob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.