<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 MNR Weight?
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 30/11/06 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
R1 MNR Weight?

Has anyone ever weighed an MNR with R1 engine, I'm trying to figure out how much the orange ex-demo car we've bought weighs to see the power to weight ratio.
The orange body is heavier than the new one as it's thicker, and it now has a full cage. Also according to a recent article the chassis has since been changed a bit. Any ideas?

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 30/11/06 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Read somewhere it weighed 440kg before the cage, add say 25 for the cage. I think it's a standard R1 which is dyno'd and rolling roaded. That I guess means 150 bhp ?? Anyone know better?
TimC

posted on 30/11/06 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon you're about right.

smart51

posted on 30/11/06 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
an early RT+ without the full cage, with the lightweight bodywork, with a fireblade engine was weighed in 397kg.

My RT (sierra uprights and vented discs) with standard bodywork, padded seats, boot box, R1 engine, LSD and heavy bolt on shaft and a big bag FULL of tools weighed 540kg wet. I wish I'd remembered to remove the tools to get a proper weight.

I'd have thought an RT+ without a full cage or boot box would be just under 500kg.

[Edited on 30-11-2006 by smart51]

chockymonster

posted on 30/11/06 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I'd have thought an RT+ without a full cage or boot box would be just under 500kg.

I'll let you know soon!

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
G.Man

posted on 30/11/06 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
My RT+ with zx12r and very heavy cossie diff/shafts is 540kg wet...

I would imagine an R1 engined version with open diff will come in around 490kg..

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

zxrlocost

posted on 30/11/06 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
your looking at about 330bhp per ton
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Agriv8

posted on 30/11/06 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Lighter than a V8 one .

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

smart51

posted on 30/11/06 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
What does your V8 car weigh?
TimC

posted on 30/11/06 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a fraction disappointed!

I was hoping to be much lighter than this!

My old CBR1000 MK with Cobra Roadster7s, Carpet, Stainless Tank, 17s etc etc weighed 565kgs!

{Edit to remove huuuuge overstatement}

[Edited on 30/11/06 by TimC]

Agriv8

posted on 30/11/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
more than a R1 one .

About 650 - 700 wet ( I belive will get it on the scales when I next swap the front spring )

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Hellfire

posted on 30/11/06 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Not an MNR but our virtually standard ZX12R MK Indy weighs in at less than 500kg (weighbridge +-10Kg). It also has Sierra Hubs/Diff bootbox, diffuser etc.

500kg+ for a R1 sounds a bit too much.

zxrlocost

posted on 30/11/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
TimC what are you dissapointed about 100kg difference is huge

itll make an r1 motor stinkingly quicker responsive etc

go and take a load of stuff of you tin top car to save weight fill a box full of interior poo and youd be lucky to put 6kg in there not including seats

were talking about cars that are already fully stripped and then saving another 30 40 50kg

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 30/11/06 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Tim
the orange one has heavier body work and has a quaife reverse box too, should be good for a few kilos.

TimC

posted on 30/11/06 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I've edited my initial post as I've hugely ovestated my feelings.

In my mind, I always wanted to get to 440kgs (and 155bhp) to give 350bhp/tonne. I don't necessarily expect this 'out of the box' as I'm not going for Wilwoods and ali hubs and the driver's seat I've ordered has a little foam and vinyl on top of the fibreglass shell. All (perhaps except the seat) I plan to upgrade later.

However, on reflection I don't think I'll be far off with lightweight bodywork, 13s, a tiny fuel tank and stripped loom.

I just don't fancy being overtaken by a Sprint-R (that means you Mr Mason )or pesky Striker!

G.Man

posted on 30/11/06 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Ok, I've edited my initial post as I've hugely ovestated my feelings.

In my mind, I always wanted to get to 440kgs (and 155bhp) to give 350bhp/tonne. I don't necessarily expect this 'out of the box' as I'm not going for Wilwoods and ali hubs and the driver's seat I've ordered has a little foam and vinyl on top of the fibreglass shell. All (perhaps except the seat) I plan to upgrade later.

However, on reflection I don't think I'll be far off with lightweight bodywork, 13s, a tiny fuel tank and stripped loom.

I just don't fancy being overtaken by a Sprint-R (that means you Mr Mason )or pesky Striker!

spend the money on a vortx super with t45 chassis..

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

chockymonster

posted on 30/11/06 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G.Man

Or an RT+ with a T45 chassis, I did think about it at order time, but seeing as I originally wanted an RT I figured I'd leave it as it was

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
road warrior

posted on 30/11/06 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Our RT+ with full cage, lightweight bodywork, muffet diff, Raceleda front end, '05 R1, 13" compomotives and two seats weighs in at 460kg.

The '05 R1 weighs 70kg dry with all electrics and ECU.

Seats have Sparco runners (at 2kg a set plus mountings). You can save some track day weight by leaving out interior panels and only having one seat.

Your car probably weighs about the same as the cage/bodywork difference is probably similar.

marc n

posted on 1/12/06 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
orange car now weighs 505kg with full cage, and full of fuel (approx 40 litres) and with the 15s tsw wheels, as mentioned the orange bodywork is heaveir than normal due to colour had to be thick so the colour didnt look see through
whilst redoing the website im doing a small database like fluke had giving weights for each component so you can calculate how / where to save weight, trimming all bolts to correct length and using cap heads saves from memory 7kg on a whole car, wheels are a big area to save weight, as are seats, comfy ones we use are 7kg heavier each than a fibre glass version, got to weigh my racecar again today if i have chance so will update what it is now its finished

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
procomp

posted on 1/12/06 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Hi so 40L of fuel is 28kg and the full cage is an extra 14kg =42kg so car 505kg - 42kg = 463 kg with no fuel.

Less 10kg for extra bits and heavey paint you have a total'ish of 453kg plus fuel.

cheers matt

TimC

posted on 1/12/06 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G.Man

Trust me, it's been talked about.

marc n

posted on 1/12/06 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hi so 40L of fuel is 28kg and the full cage is an extra 14kg =42kg so car 505kg - 42kg = 463 kg with no fuel.

yep minus difference for 13 inch cxrs as opposed to 15 inch tsws ( another 10kg ??? ) plus old style chassis bit heavier

just weighed my racecar 425kg with full fuel approx 40 litres fully road legal with lights two seat s etc

car spec
fireblade engine
t45 chassis and wishbones
lightweight bodywork
hex bolts etc
quaiffe reverse box
siuerra diff and shafts
stainlessw silencer

still some potential for some weight saving, mainly diff and shaft swop for free lander and a better alternative for a quiaffe box as they must weigh a good 10 kg all day long,
my new ally silencer i have to fit saves 3.5kg over the stainless one which isnt taken into account in the weights above
freelander diff is quite a bit lighter than sierra cant remember how much

so if you can find a lighter way of getting reverse, ally can and freelander diff some lighter front lights the ones we use are about 2kg each you could get another 25kg - 30 kg off possibly more with caphead bolts etc

so very possible to end up just under 400 kg with a full tank of fuel

im keeping the sierra diff on mine and the quaiffe as otherwise will have to add more lead already have to add 60 kgs for min weight in rgb

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
TimC

posted on 1/12/06 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Marc

Any idea what the weight saving from the T45 is?

TC

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 1/12/06 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that Marc, very helpful!
Do you know what the output is, says somewhere that you had it rolling road tuned??
Just on a minor point for builders planning an SVA, the inspectors need to see two full threads past important fixing bolts, so don't trim too tight initially.

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 1/12/06 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
and never underestimate the power of good laxitives, cheapest way by far of upping power to weight.
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.