Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vortx - SVA Date
chockymonster

posted on 8/12/06 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Vortx - SVA Date

Argh!

Just had a phone call from the nice people at VOSA Southampton.

Tuesday the 19th of December is the day of my test!

I'm now running around in a blind panic!

Can I have some advice please!!

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Howlor

posted on 8/12/06 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Don't panic!
fesycresy

posted on 8/12/06 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Don't eat yellow snow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

marc n

posted on 8/12/06 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Don't eat yellow snow

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 8/12/06 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Howlor
Don't panic!

I figure that the worst that can happen is it costs me £30 for a retest

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

smart51

posted on 8/12/06 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Put photos of your car on here and ask for SVA advice. People will spot things that aren't properly covered / atrached / positioned.

Take tools, nylocs, cable ties, nut covers, threadlock, sprung washers, electricians tape, a file! etc in case you fail on minor things that can be rectified on site.

Agriv8

posted on 8/12/06 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Have a cup of tea or a can of beer and complement yourself on completing the build and getting to this stage !!

now we are calm you have built the car so all you need to do is make any 'Minor adjustments ' to satisfy the SVA man.

As stated above Picturs so Other locosters can spot area's that may cause the SVA man to have issues.

The main one get your emisions sorted have you the MNR cat / bumpers ? and a good rolling road down there.

Go with an open mind that you have given yourself the best chance of a MAC certificate but if it dosent its £30 for another Go.

Dont P*ss of your SVA man off as you will loose ! hopefully you wil get an SVA tested who is helpfull makes the whole process a little easier.

Regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 8/12/06 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

chockymonster

posted on 8/12/06 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
I've already started building up a box of SVA bits.

Double sided tape, trim, spec sheets, samples of hose used etc etc!

I'll get some pictures posted at the weekend, I haven't fitted the front indicators yet as I don't have the mounting bars.

chockymonster

posted on 8/12/06 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
Dont P*ss of your SVA man off as you will loose ! hopefully you wil get an SVA tested who is helpfull makes the whole process a little easier.
[Edited on 8/12/06 by Agriv8]

I'm approaching this in the mindset that I've done my best, there will be bits I've missed and it's his job to point them out. I just have to hope that the guys at southampton are reasonable!

Peteff

posted on 8/12/06 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Buy this

and read it a page a day.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stevec

posted on 8/12/06 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
It helps to panic a bit.
Attention to detail is the thing, make sure all your paperwork is complete and in order.
Spend time going over everything you have done.
Remember the testers are not Numpty's they are clever blokes and have seen and heard every bulls**t trick and excuse in the book.
My tester said they can spot a good un as they are walking to it from the office.
I reckon that if you drive it there and have no major problems that impresses them too.
Try and take a mate to administer tranquilizers to you and helpout with things.
Above all try and enjoy it.
Good luck.
Steve.

chockymonster

posted on 8/12/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
Attention to detail is the thing, make sure all your paperwork is complete and in order.

Erm, paperwork?
SVA stuff went to VOSA, everything else is with DVLA in reading who won't do anything with it until I have a MAC

quote:
Originally posted by stevec
Try and take a mate to administer tranquilizers to you and helpout with things.
Above all try and enjoy it.
Good luck.
Steve.

I've got my Dad going with me, which is a big relief. If he can't find a way around something then I'm really stuck!

RichieC

posted on 19/12/06 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Any news mate?

Rgds

Rich

scoey m
Builder

Posts 209
Registered 8/2/06

Photo Archive Go!
Building: MNR Vortx r1(sva pass 07 plate yumyum)

posted on 19/12/06 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Come on spill the beans how did you go on
I hope you got a pass paul

chockymonster

posted on 19/12/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, it was a fail.

SVA was at Southampton. Now these guys have a rep for being very iffy about stuff and they are aware of it, but I only have the highest amount of praise for my tester. He was very fair and did his best to help me get the car through. We spent an hour trying to get the mirrors through the field of view test but failed. I used one of the sets from the loan batch but couldn't get the passenger side mirror right so I need to find a mirror to pass.

Emissions were an issue too, but nothing I can't sort with access to a gas analyser.

I have a number of radius bits to sort, all straight forward. The only major bone of contention is he is unhappy with the upper seatbelt mounting method. He didn't feel that the tube and weld would support the sheer stress in an accident. I've spoken to Marc to see if they have any data I can use to prove it but they don't at the moment. He's given me some ideas so I need to call the guy tomorrow to see what he thinks of the ideas.

The plus point is I'll need to drive back down there for the retest and to the MOT station for the emissions setting

zxrlocost

posted on 19/12/06 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
what year engine is it and what CAT are you running
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

chockymonster

posted on 20/12/06 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
2003 R1 with a cat before the silencer. It's a car cat but the maps I had were too lean and at that point they only gave me 3 attempts

Agriv8

posted on 20/12/06 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Paul is it southampton that questioned the Lightweight RH ?

as you say everything can be sorted
Let us know the outcome of the conversation about the upper harness bosses.

Sounds like you struck up a good rapour with the tester they are only doing there job at the end of the day and they have to follow the rules however stupid they may be.

regards

Agriv8

Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

zxrlocost

posted on 20/12/06 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
your car before the silencer on its own may not be powerful enough

youll need one in the can aswell

thats a might

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

chockymonster

posted on 20/12/06 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, it was southampton that failed the lightweight.

I've asked if they'll let me drill through the mount and then bolt up from the underneath but they've said no. The only way they'll allow them unbraced is if I reduce the height of the supports and then provide evidence the seats can take the weight!

What is planned is a bracket that goes from the top of the seatbelt mounting post to the shelf behind the seatbelt. The belt will bolt through the bracket and the bracket will bolt to the shelf with an M10 bolt/nylock

scoey m
Builder

Posts 209
Registered 8/2/06

Photo Archive Go!
Building: MNR Vortx r1(sva pass 07 plate yumyum)

posted on 20/12/06 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
overall excellent result
well done mate

G.Man

posted on 20/12/06 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
Yes, it was southampton that failed the lightweight.

I've asked if they'll let me drill through the mount and then bolt up from the underneath but they've said no. The only way they'll allow them unbraced is if I reduce the height of the supports and then provide evidence the seats can take the weight!

What is planned is a bracket that goes from the top of the seatbelt mounting post to the shelf behind the seatbelt. The belt will bolt through the bracket and the bracket will bolt to the shelf with an M10 bolt/nylock

oh fgs

that seatbelt mount is more than adequate for a 4 point belt..

Bloody idiots..

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

chockymonster

posted on 20/12/06 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I know.
Unfortunately I don't have any option but to play ball to get my car on the road.

I also need to cover the exhaust as the front edge failed the radius check, mainly because it's sharp!

I've done most of the other radius things he picked up, which even he said were pointless to pick up. These wouldn't have been an issue but he refused to allow the bumper bars even though he'd used them to push the car backwards!

I need to source a more sva friendly passenger mirror as I can't get the visibility right.

Agriv8

posted on 21/12/06 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Chocky post us up a picture.

would be of use for other builders.

regards

Iain

Dillinger1977

posted on 21/12/06 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
These wouldn't have been an issue but he refused to allow the bumper bars even though he'd used them to push the car backwards!

thats interesting, did he suspect that they might be whipped off post-sva or something?
Im trimming all of the stuff that may have been behind a bumper bar anyway. better to be on the safe side..

The seatbelt mount is a big worry though.. presumably its the same as mine and I dont fancy messing with that should it fail..

of course I'd probably find out if I got my finger out and actually booked the #@*&ing test!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.