Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PC Building advice needed.
DorsetStrider

posted on 27/12/06 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
PC Building advice needed.

Hiya guys.

Well my PC went belly up just before chrimbo (always the way ain't it?)

I'm 99% sure it's either the processor ot motherboard. So am trying to build a new pc locost style.

Things have changed a bit in the pc world since I built the one that died and I need some advice from you knowledgeable peeps out there.

ok here are the questions. Are you sitting comfortably?

1) Can I used the DDR memory from my dead pc in a ddr2 motherboard or will I have to buy new memory as well?

2) Do you guys know of any online bargain shops or is my best bet a motherboard/cpu bundle from fleebay?

3) Considering I'm on a VERY tight budget what AMD processors would be worth looking at? Don't really want to go over to intel as I think that would mean getting another case etc which would mean more money.

Hopefully somoeone will reply soon so I can get bidding (if I have to go through ebay) or otherwise cracking.

As always any help/advise very gratefully received.

the_fbi

posted on 27/12/06 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know what your budget is, but you could do a lot worse than one of the Dell units from http://www.mcscom.co.uk
They are refurbished and are great value.

£125 for http://www.mcscom.co.uk/product.php?xProd=1396&xSec=36

phoenix70

posted on 28/12/06 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DorsetStrider
Hiya guys.

Well my PC went belly up just before chrimbo (always the way ain't it?)

I'm 99% sure it's either the processor ot motherboard. So am trying to build a new pc locost style.

Things have changed a bit in the pc world since I built the one that died and I need some advice from you knowledgeable peeps out there.

ok here are the questions. Are you sitting comfortably?

1) Can I used the DDR memory from my dead pc in a ddr2 motherboard or will I have to buy new memory as well?

2) Do you guys know of any online bargain shops or is my best bet a motherboard/cpu bundle from fleebay?

3) Considering I'm on a VERY tight budget what AMD processors would be worth looking at? Don't really want to go over to intel as I think that would mean getting another case etc which would mean more money.

Hopefully somoeone will reply soon so I can get bidding (if I have to go through ebay) or otherwise cracking.

As always any help/advise very gratefully received.

1) No you can't DDR2 runs much faster than standard DDR.

2) Have a look at www.ebuyer.co.uk or www.cclonline.com

3) Don't know much about the AMD's but one word of warning, watch out for the actual processor speeds rather than what they claim. if you actually compare like for like they ain't much cheaper than Intel's

graememk

posted on 28/12/06 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
if you want, in the 1st week of jan (as i'm not at work) i can do you a 2.8 p4 and a 775 board that takes your ddr1 for £60 inc postage, i think we have them on the shelf

RichieC

posted on 28/12/06 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Yep DDR2 runs twice the speed of DDR.

eBuyer are very good.

As far as AMD CPUs the quoted speed is the speed of the equivalent Intel CPU not the clock speed they claim it runs at. So for instance a 1800+ runs at an actual speed of 1.5Ghz but it should offer performance similar to a 1.8Ghz Intel.

So, youre actually getting a better equivalent performance for a slower clock speed. They also allow for some superb overclocking potential.

Hope that makes sense

Im currently selling some bits see here

Rgds

Richie

[Edited on 28/12/06 by RichieC]

Jasper

posted on 28/12/06 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Bought all my bits from Scan Computers - cheap and the service was good.

Hard to beat Dell though if you just want a basic cheap PC....

MikeRJ

posted on 28/12/06 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichieC
Yep DDR2 runs twice the speed of DDR.

eBuyer are very good.

As far as AMD CPUs the quoted speed is the speed of the equivalent Intel CPU not the clock speed they claim it runs at. So for instance a 1800+ runs at an actual speed of 1.5Ghz but it should offer performance similar to a 1.8Ghz Intel.

Not true. The AMD clock ratings are relative to the orginal Athlon, not the P4.

RichieC

posted on 28/12/06 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
The point it seems is up for debate but Ive heard both sides of it. Some argue it is compared to the P4, others to the Athlon Thunderbird.

Strikes me, a lot of people are confused by the term Athlon. Its just the term AMD used for every (non budget) desktop CPU after the K7. Since then though theyve not changed the name but they have changed their rating system; indeed its been binned all together for their latest CPUs which are still called Athlon (FX) but now use the actual frequency.

For the earlier comparisons though, I side with the argument that why would AMD compare their clock speeds to their own product, that would be pointless. Their only competition at the time of the Thoroughbred cpu was the P4.

It still comes down to the fact, for a given output, the AMD (with the exception of the £££ FX) will have a lower clock speed than the P4. Therefore they had to market the chip in such a way as it was outwardly competitive with Intel. Otherwise they wouldnt have sold any because like for like to joe public, the Intel will always have the faster clock speed.

Dont take my word for it though...... here
here
here

Very long winded reply but certainly not a straightforward deal. At least AMD are now moving towards marketing their CPUs with their actual clock speed and not a comparison however derived.

[Edited on 28/12/06 by RichieC]

DorsetStrider

posted on 29/12/06 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all.

Thank you for the helpful replies and offers.

In the time between posting the orginal thread and being able to get back to it today I've managed to source a new motherboard and cpu. (ECS motherboard & Athlon 64 3200 CPU).

Hopefully I should be able to get my/a pc up and running the first week in the new year so I can get back to all you lovely peeps. (I can hear you groaning you know!)

That said in the new year I will when funds allow be looking to upgrade with more memory etc, Graememk is your offer of computer bits at trade an ongoing one?

Thanks again one and all and look forward to seeing/chatting with you all in the new year. Hope you have a good one.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

MikeRJ

posted on 29/12/06 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichieC
The point it seems is up for debate but Ive heard both sides of it. Some argue it is compared to the P4, others to the Athlon Thunderbird.

They are both right, the original PR rating was applied to AMDs 133MHz 5x86 which came with a PR75 rating, equivalent to a 75MHz Pentium. It was dropped due to criticism of the benchmarks used to derive the rating.

However it was revived when the Athlon XP range of CPU's were manufactured, and in this case the performance benchmark for the PR rating was the Athlon Thunderbird core.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.