Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crossflow Engine Mounts
phad88

posted on 4/4/07 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Crossflow Engine Mounts

Hi
Currently race in 750mc and the engine is on rubber mounts from Luego. However i've noticed alot of engine movement! I've read previous threads and its 50/50 for and against solidly mounting it! The fear is the welds cracking, bolts is not a major concern as before each meet a spanner check is always carried out. I was thinking of using polyurethane anyone experienced this? if so what did you use i.e make, model, and cost of bushes used.
Cheers
Mark

GazzaP

posted on 4/4/07 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hiya

i had the same problem, to cure this i have got the group a mounts from vibratechnics they stiffen it up loads

www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk

www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk

procomp

posted on 4/4/07 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi as ^ GAZZAP said. Available from rally desighn.

The main reason for not solidly mounting is not so much the chassis/mount cracking but the fact that you will be changing altenator and starter motors every five minutes. (and we know how the scrutes are checking altenators these days) Due to vibrations.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 4/4/07 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp

The main reason for not solidly mounting is not so much the chassis/mount cracking but the fact that you will be changing altenator and starter motors every five minutes.

I don't understand ^^

does solid mounting damage the starter and alternator??

as an aside, I made a truss bar with exhaust rubbers to tie the top of an B series engine in an MGB cuase I read somewhere it would gain some power, the arument that the power would go to the wheels instead of twising the engine. dunno if it made much difference but when one of the mounting let go, it didn;t have make a racket!! I was so used to diggin about in the engine bay I managed to disconnect it in total darkness

[Edited on 4/4/07 by 02GF74]

procomp

posted on 4/4/07 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi when solid mounting some engines (ussually older desighn) that are going to be seeing 7000+rpm every lap. They tend to transmit thier vibrations through attached parts such as starter motors and altenators.

In the locost championship the scrutineers are checking more often to see if the altenators are fully working.

Cars with non fully working items are excluded from the results. Therefore it is not worth solid mounting as the uprated group A mounts are more than good enough for the application.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon W

posted on 4/4/07 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Edit. Slow posting

[Edited on 4/4/07 by Simon W]

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/4/07 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I had not heard of that being a problem, at least with the alternators you could build in flexi mounts for it.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

procomp

posted on 4/4/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi but then not std for the championship regs. And why go to all the extra work and weight when there is a verry easy fix by using the group a mounts for this paticular application.

cheers matt

phad88

posted on 13/4/07 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies,

Quite pricey for the Vibratechnics is there any alternatives? I was thinking of using some 70 shore hardness Polyurethane and machining them and then bolt them straight through with an M12. I would have thought poly will take out majority of vibration?

paulf

posted on 13/4/07 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have a set of crossflow mounts that were in my road car , they used fiesta rubbers set at an angle similiar to the original set up and I found there was hardly any engine movement which was handy as i had very little clearance with the bonnet.
Paul.

Marcus

posted on 14/4/07 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
The Landrover V8 mounts you pick up at autojumbles for a few pennies are ideal. Absorb just enough movement.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

Simon W

posted on 28/4/07 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Are the correct vibratechnics mounts showing on the page below? (if so, whats the desription)

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=1740_1741_1750

Thanks .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.