Author: Subject: OT Big muckel televisor for cheap
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 27/4/08 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
OT Big muckel televisor for cheap

Looks good
Fair size for cheap from a good company

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/4/08 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn’t look all that big, just 13cm according to my measurements.

how long does a plasma telly last away? I heard they have a short life span, like a few years and then they're knackered

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bigheppy

posted on 27/4/08 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
mines 3 yrs old still going strong
DarrenW

posted on 27/4/08 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Bargain, ive just bought 40" LCD for £600 and its great. Not perfect but for the cash brilliant.
50" Plasme for that is awesome. Make sure it has good guarantee and its perfect.

gttztt

posted on 27/4/08 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
plasma life

So much garbage has been written about re-gassing a plasma after a couple of years etc. If thats the case when was the last time anyone went in to a TV repair shop to have their old CRT tube re-vacuumed? Sorry but so many people have been hoodwinked with this one. Even persistance damage due to logos/ticker tape being left in the same place can be reversed - if you are patient. I have a series 1 Panasonic 37" widescreen plasma which was left on a 4:3 video image for 4 months (Pro hire to customer). It came back with 2 different colour side bands and when showing 16:9 images was very noticeable. After 3 months of ordinary TV use the side bands disappeared and it has been our "telly" for donkeys years with a superb image.
LCD - does anyone remember the first time it was shown on TV?. Am I right in thinking it was on Tomorrows World in the late 1970,s as a single sheet of glass that at a flick of a switch went dark? javascript:icon(''

blakep82

posted on 27/4/08 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
plasmas are supposed to be regassed every few years.. LCD though, well, how long to laptop screens and the like last?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 27/4/08 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gttztt
LCD - does anyone remember the first time it was shown on TV?. Am I right in thinking it was on Tomorrows World in the late 1970,s as a single sheet of glass that at a flick of a switch went dark? javascript:icon(''

i don't remember the 70's but i do remember tomorrows world in the early to mis 90s, saying about how in a few yeas time there will be tellys a little bit thicker than a picture frame, and you could hang them on your wall never thought i'd see the day!

was watching back to the future 2 yesterday, i loved seeing how they thought the future would look in the 80s going into a 80s theme cafe, where you were served by a max headroom style micheal jackson on a CRT screen which floated around lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ChrisW

posted on 27/4/08 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent price, but lack of 1080p lets it down!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 27/4/08 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
How big a room do you need for a telly like that? Does a 1080p display ordinary programs better than 720p or 1080i or only dedicated media?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ChrisW

posted on 28/4/08 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
'Normal' telly won't look any better on a 1080p/720p set than on a regular 625 line 'conventional' TV. There are differences in the upscaling technology used on different units, but it's impossible to gain image quality over what has been broadcast. The only 'difference' over a conventional set is that most LCDs and plasmas don't interlace, but then Philips have been doing that* for years with their 100Hz CRTs.

*In essence anyway. They interlace twice as fast, and show each frame twice so it's a lot harder to perceive.

The only time 720p and 1080p (forget the i resolutions) come into their own is with dedicated HD sources, such as Sky HD (which still looks pretty crap), blu ray, and of course downloaded HD media. If you have a PC hooked up, there is a wealth of hi-def video out there via torrents and Usenet which looks fantastic for very little outlay in terms of additional technology/subscriptions/media, etc.

Chris

DarrenW

posted on 28/4/08 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
My 1080p Panasonic BViera broke. Got the 40" standard def lCD instead. For me i dont watch much TV and its all run of the mill stuff anyway. Dont have a need for big movie style gear etc so under those conditions 1080p not really required - and therefore extra cost could not be justified.

However if you are a AV buff and do use the technology then get the best.

Like most things in life, the technology market is awash with buzzwords and clever marketing to make us believe we need them. I was kind of lucky i got to try the Viera out for 6 months before the warranty claim. Superb TV, brilliant in fact, its just that it was too good for what we needed it for. The fault was 2 very fine vertical lines (each 2 pixels wide). Couldnt be repaired in 28 days so currys give me a credit note for full value.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.