Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 20/5/08 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis bonding adhesive

1st thing, I'm not trying to bond a tubular chassis together.

the chassis on my Haldane suffers from what i would call excessive scuttle shake so i wondered whether i could brace it by bonding some strips of steel to it between the rails, using the stuff lotus use, then i could bolt or bond the bulkheads to those.

I'd like to avoid welding if at all possible due to access, plus dropping the fuel tank etc.

If it's feasible does anyone know where could i get some from and would it cause problems at MOT time due to not being welded ?

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/5/08 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
is it the scuttle that’s shaking or really the steering wheel support? once the dash is fixed on to the front then the whole scuttle becomes very rigid.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 20/5/08 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
is it the scuttle that’s shaking or really the steering wheel support? once the dash is fixed on to the front then the whole scuttle becomes very rigid.

Scuttle shake is not really the scuttle shaking as such It's a lack of torsional rigidity in the chassis which causes a kind of 'wobble' in the car, particularly noticeable when you go over bumps. Common in convertible versions of saloon cars whose stiffness is compromised when the roof is removed.

As for the original Q, can't help with where to get the glue though, sorry. Unless you know someone who works for Aston or Lotus.

[Edited on 20/5/08 by matt_claydon]

HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 20/5/08 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
No, I know what you mean but the dash on mine isn't the same.

it's not a 7 but the advice on this site seems to be the best around that's why i'm here.
there's a support behind the dash from side to side to sort of stiffen up the fibreglass scuttle but that isn't fixed to the chassis and isn't meant to.

It's basically a piece of 3/4" plywood glassed under the bodywork

the steering column is solid, i made my own frames up to spread the load, one onto the transmission tunnel and floor the other to the support i mentioned

I'd just like to fix the chassis and body together in more places than the manufacturer thought was enough.

My mates westfield gives a much comfier ride

Got it matt, just what i mean

Syd Bridge

posted on 20/5/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Methacrylate should do the job. Available from RS among other sources. Also, the 2ton epoxy solves a multitude of problems.

Lotus stuff needs a big oven and a good deal of heat. The chassis stuff, anyway.

Cheers,
Syd.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/5/08 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Scuttle shake is not really the scuttle shaking as such It's a lack of torsional rigidity in the chassis which causes a kind of 'wobble' in the car, particularly noticeable when you go over bumps. Common in convertible versions of saloon cars whose stiffness is compromised when the roof is removed.

As for the original Q, can't help with where to get the glue though, sorry. Unless you know someone who works for Aston or Lotus.

[Edited on 20/5/08 by matt_claydon]

oh I know all about scuttle shake, the Falcon was blessed with more than enough to make the dials unreadable

Think I have now sorted that out

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 21/5/08 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
oh I know all about scuttle shake, the Falcon was blessed with more than enough to make the dials unreadable

Think I have now sorted that out

How did you sort it ?

I'd read somewhere that JBA had a decent chassis, obviously not, i can still read the dials

Matt, you described the condition perfectly
i just want to try and improve it.

Syd, could you give me a bit more info regarding suppliers please ?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.