Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear Light Markings
mistergrumpy

posted on 21/5/08 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Rear Light Markings

I've been looking at my rear lights and reading the SVA manual I'm now a bit confused. It seems all my lights are same with E1 1544 markings and AR markings but 5 have SAE-U-DOT markings and 1 says SAE R 05 DOT. I don't know which is what. The book says rear indicators to have 2a,2b or 12 markings stop lamps to have s1,s2 or s3 markings. Also the fog has to have B or F and have a minimum of 150 candelas. Is this dictated by the reflector? Cheers in advance

RazMan

posted on 21/5/08 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure about the numbers, but Mr SVA will be happy with ANY lights as long as they are deemed 'of suitable brightness'. E markings are just a confirmation that they were manufactured to a certain standard - not that they will pass SVA.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 21/5/08 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Razmans right, they just have to do the job,
the big square foglight looked odd on my car, but somehow managed to change itself into one that looked ok.

mistergrumpy

posted on 21/5/08 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent. Thought I'd dropped one there. What about the rear fog light then? Is it the reflector that makes the difference in its brightness? I'm guessing I can't just use one of my spare lights with a red bulb in to keep things all looking the same.

RazMan

posted on 21/5/08 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Technically you can use anything you like but if the tester thinks it looks a bit iffy he might THEN look at marking to see if it complies with any standard spec.

For example my lights are all LEDs and the fog lights are actually day time brake lights as well. However when it comes to checking function they look ok so pass without question - tbh I think the multi function thing just confuses the tester

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 21/5/08 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Well I was looking at this but it doesn't look marked up or any different to the same brake lights and indicators and presumably no brighter so I couldn't understand why it was being sold as a fog light.

adithorp

posted on 21/5/08 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Stricktly speaking brake lights won't do as fog lights. Pretty sure its specifficly mentioned in the manual. The reflectors are different and give a narrower more intense beam. Having said that it's down to interpretation but if Mr SVA dosen't like it you'd have to prove it wasn't a brake light. I decided not to risk it.

adrian

mistergrumpy

posted on 22/5/08 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah you're right Adrian. Fog lights need a minimum of 150 candela whilst brake lights need a maximum of around 90 candela I think. I think I may have to get a chap square one then change it after SVA.

RazMan

posted on 22/5/08 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
The difference in candle power is quite suprising considering that both light units use the same power bulb (21W)
I guess the secret is in the reflector

Cheers,
Raz

mistergrumpy

posted on 22/5/08 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Aye that's what I was thinking too. What about if I shove an apple pie foil tin in there? You reckon I'll get away with it

RazMan

posted on 22/5/08 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm maybe an M&S one would do it or maybe a Mr Kipling?

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.