Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Grinder 1.... Hand 0
locoboy

posted on 31/5/08 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Grinder 1.... Hand 0

Having inspired myself by reading the recent 'oh bum i've hurt myself' threads i went on to come up with a corker of my own.

I was wearing safety glasses, a clear full face grinding mask, ear defenders but sadly no gloves!

I forgot to tighten the disk when i put a new one in and this was the result as soon as i turned it on, i didnt even have a chance to touch it against anything before it grated my hand and i chucked it on the floor!

hand
hand

My other hand to prove that i dont just have fat hands and no discernable knuckles!

knuckles
knuckles

And my swolen hand showing that you can barely make out my knuckles.

swolen hand
swolen hand

I got some funny looks when i was in the checkout queue holding 6 pairs of gauntlets with a battered hand!

I wont forgo the full safety gear agine i tell you.

P.S typing with one hand is SLOW!

[Edited on 31/5/08 by locoboy]

ATB
Locoboy

blakep82

posted on 31/5/08 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote

what happened then? did the disc come off and hit your hand?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

locoboy

posted on 31/5/08 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
no,

with the disk being loose it was way out of balance and at the speed a grinder runs at it was shaking that violently that it just wabbled out of my hands!

ATB
Locoboy

madrallysport

posted on 31/5/08 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Oh boy that looks bad, hope it gets better soon, More serious point - are you able to lift a pint with the other hand ok?

UNDERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
OVERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
HORSEPOWER is how fast you hit the wall.
TORQUE is how far you take the wall with you.

MikeRJ

posted on 31/5/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch, that looks really sore

I have to admit to taking some liberties with respect to safety equipment, but angle grinders worry me enough that I always tog up. I can remember having a 1mm disk on and slicing through my leather gauntlets and putting a nice groove into my skin. Would have been a whole lot worse with the gloves.

smart51

posted on 31/5/08 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
" 'tis merely a flesh wound"

I caught my thumb with an angle grinder last week. The had to open up the cut so they could put a stitch in the tendon. The plaster comes off next Wednesday so the can remove the stitches. They can then asses the thumb to see if the tendon has stuck to the skin's scar tissue. They may have to go back in to free it off.

Typing with one hand is very slow, isn't it?

James

posted on 31/5/08 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch!

The amount of peeps on here with angle grinder related injuries, from cutting through ones thigh to getting metals sparks in the eye, is ridiculous!

Caught the back of one hand (holding the work) with 'The Tool' once. What a blinkin mess that made!

Made my boxing a little harder for awhile too!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ricklawn

posted on 31/5/08 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thats going to smart a bit in the bath.
ditchlewis

posted on 31/5/08 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
owch

i was not wearing goggles when my coil exploded today nearly got hot oil in my face.

hope it heals soon

ditch

mistergrumpy

posted on 31/5/08 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Looks a good one that. I had a decent one the other day when I bought a hole cutter from the pound shop (!) the blade broke on one side came loose and left a quarter circle cut in my palm. I only wanted for 3-4 holes and it didn't even make one, well only in my hand

gregf27

posted on 31/5/08 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Col - have you been fighting again????

aint your hands hairy!!!!

Hope you get better soon matey, glad it aint your drinking arm!

( have you started another project then or have you been breaking another disco?)
speak soon
all the best -Greg

rf900rush

posted on 31/5/08 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
And there was me thinking I was silly wearing those surgical latex gloves when using a wire wheel.
Yes grabbed the glove and my hand.
Fortunatly one very small cut.

So another safety warning use latex rubber with care.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 31/5/08 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Looks bad mate, hope you get back to "normal" soon mate!

Steve

locoboy

posted on 31/5/08 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^TWAT^^^^

LOL
Off to bed after a boat load of ale to ease the pain!
not to mention the burn i got on the same hand tonight....thats a different story! - what a cock eh!

Fledgling skin does not react well to 1000 degree C bbq flames!

ATB
Locoboy

worX

posted on 31/5/08 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
aaaarrrrr....
My work here is done

Peteff

posted on 1/6/08 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Gloves and glasses, I always put them on when I go in the shed unless I'm just fetching something out. I've heard people say they can't work in gloves or that they catch things with them but I prefer a ripped glove to what you have there Col. Hope it gets better quick and the pelt grows back alright

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

iank

posted on 1/6/08 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Looks sore, but not deep so should heal quickly. Could have been much worse.

Last time I was using the grinder I made the schoolboy error of turning it round to get to an awkward bit rather then moving round. Shower of sparks straight into the face - fortunately I was wearing safety specs and a face shield but a bit still bounced up and hit me on the top of the cheek.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

blakep82

posted on 1/6/08 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Gloves and glasses, I always put them on when I go in the shed unless I'm just fetching something out. I've heard people say they can't work in gloves or that they catch things with them but I prefer a ripped glove to what you have there Col. Hope it gets better quick and the pelt grows back alright

my local engineering dude never wears gloves. he was telling me of a guy who was doing some work with him ended up getting a glove caught in a machine, and machine tugged the glove and pulled his thumb off. he reckons it wouldn't have happened, or certainly not been as bad

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Peteff

posted on 1/6/08 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82my local engineering dude never wears gloves. he was telling me of a guy who was doing some work with him ended up getting a glove caught in a machine, and machine tugged the glove and pulled his thumb off. he reckons it wouldn't have happened, or certainly not been as bad

When I was fettling a bloke I worked with set fire to his trousers, it would never have happened if he wasn't wearing any Another one was a stationary grinder where we used to take flash off pipe flanges and one bloke who thought gloves got in the way ground his thumb to a point. You do it your way and I'll do it mine.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

blakep82

posted on 1/6/08 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
^ i always wear gloves! i'm just saying thats what he told me, and thats why he never wore gloves!
i set fire to my trousers once too. crotch more specifically. i decided to point the sparks the other way after that...

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
When I was fettling a bloke I worked with...

[Edited on 1/6/08 by blakep82]

iank

posted on 2/6/08 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
It's like seat belts, 99% of the time they make it safer, but there are the occasional accidents where people have been killed/injured more badly because they were wearing one.

But in all the accidents where a glove causes a hand to get dragged into a machine the operator has had their hand where it shouldn't have been anyway, and generally would have done significant damage even without a glove.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr G

posted on 2/6/08 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

locoboy

posted on 3/6/08 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
Oooooh no!

Actually i was squeezing some lemons to make a marinade for some chicken that day after i did it, i was concentrating on using my right hand only but the i stupidly used my left hand under the 'empty' lemons as i walked to the bin.

All the juice off my right hand and the juice dripping out the lemons ran through my fingers on the bad hand and onto the back of my hand

I retired from the kitchen at that point and began drinking lol

ATB
Locoboy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.