Board logo

R1 water flow
jlayton - 9/5/15 at 08:30 PM

Hi, in desperate need to know what way the water flows on the r1 5pw. It's to plumb the water lines up for my turbo

Thanks in adavance

CosKev3 - 9/5/15 at 09:20 PM

On which part of the system?

jlayton - 9/5/15 at 09:28 PM

Just need to know if the water pumps up through the engine,then to top of rad. Or does it flow from the bottom of the rad to the top.
Hope that makes sense
Thanks

CosKev3 - 9/5/15 at 09:44 PM

Thermostat is in the pipe going to rad, so that's the hot water exiting the engine.

kentmagpie - 10/5/15 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jlayton
Just need to know if the water pumps up through the engine,then to top of rad. Or does it flow from the bottom of the rad to the top.
Hope that makes sense
Thanks

I'm not 100% sure on an r1 but most engines will rely on the thermostat to build heat up in the engine and then at optimum temperature release out. Most commonly higher up the engine flowing to the top of the rad and down through out the bottom and back round again. On car engines most water pumps are bolted on the side of the head pumping water through the engine. On my last bec I had an external electronic water pump that seriously worked at a rate of knots but effectively still doing the same job as a car setup. Sorry if sounds confusin but hope this helps

gabbes - 29/8/15 at 05:09 AM

The waterflow is from the lowest point - bottom and upwards. Download the service manual for the motorcycle and you will have a wonderful description there with photos.