Board logo

Changing an engine
Opirun - 3/4/13 at 09:57 PM

Hi

If I were to buy a road registered kit car and change the engine e.g from car to bike, does this mean a completely new IVA would be required, if not what would be required.

Thanks.

rodgling - 3/4/13 at 09:59 PM

No, just inform the DVLA and send off your V5 (I think) with a covering letter explaining the changes. It tells you what to do on the V5 I think. And insurance of course.

Simon - 3/4/13 at 10:33 PM

You will need a letter from a garage confirmg the change - this has been covered numerous times on here

ATB

Simon

wilkingj - 3/4/13 at 10:54 PM

I would check with your insurance first.
Last thing you want to do is get all the hard work done and then find your insurance co wants a fortune to insure it, or wont insure you at all.

Do the checking before you start work, and do it in writing so they cant back out very easily. Done over the phone, they can easily say that no one said that, or thats not what was agreed. Much more difficult to get out of it if its in writing.

Its just less hassle to get that sorted before you start the work, and it may well influence your choice of engine etc etc etc.

Just my 2d's worth.

EDIT:
Also make sure you get a proper receipt for the engine, that includes the engine number and perhaps some details fo the vehicle it came from, ie reg no etc.

[Edited on 3/4/2013 by wilkingj]

iank - 4/4/13 at 06:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
You will need a letter from a garage confirmg the change - this has been covered numerous times on here

ATB

Simon

Not necessarily, though to be fair they do change the "rules" according to whim and fancy of whoever is processing the change.

The evidence requirements are here

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/what-evidence-to-give

quote:

Engine number or cylinder capacity (cc)
You’ll need to provide either:

a receipt for the replacement engine
written evidence from the manufacturer
an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
written confirmation on headed paper from a garage (if the change took place before you bought the vehicle)

So all you really need is a detailed receipt for the engine you've bought - if they whinge then call them and point them to their own rules.