Board logo

car tax
ali f27 - 20/3/15 at 07:57 AM

If i tax my car today will it run out in 6 months as in 20th of august is by month like it used to be

theduck - 20/3/15 at 08:11 AM

Same as it's always been, which will mean expires 31st august

scootz - 20/3/15 at 08:45 AM

It's a nonsense... I thought the electronic switch would mean we get a full 6 months tax - it's not hard for a computer to work out!

But no... tax it today and you lose 20 days worth of tax as it starts on the 1st March.

Slimy38 - 20/3/15 at 08:48 AM

That is assuming it's not taxed at the moment. If you have tax covering March, the new tax will come into effect for April, and expire end of September.

And I agree, it's silly that they've modernised the entire system but kept the bit where it's a monthly cutoff. As far as I know, no other regular payment is limited to whole months.

anthony1 - 20/3/15 at 10:55 AM

Son recently traded in his car to a garage on 31st of January........the refund arrived on Wednesday this week (18th March) of course January was used up already , but because it took between 31st Jan. and mid March to sort it at the DVLA , it ended up "costing" another month........lets multiply that by the many thousands of times that will happen during a year...............

loggyboy - 20/3/15 at 11:40 AM

He should have sorned it on the 31st Jan.

Scuzzle - 20/3/15 at 10:50 PM

I was actually hoping once it went electronic you could just tax month to month, tax for a couple of months miss a month etc. You sorn the car and lay the car up over the winter and get a freak good weather spell you can just pay a months tax and get out in it - should have known it would never work out like this.