Board logo

Maybe a silly question...But?
Gear Monkey - 11/5/14 at 10:03 PM

What makes front uprights from a more modern and abundant front wheel drive car (a ka for example) unsuitable for a locost? Surely the lack of a driveshaft won't stop it doing what we want it to do??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/181361096545?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla &crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Or am I missing something??

Paul

Davey D - 11/5/14 at 10:09 PM

Because the hub would just drop off the upright? Without the drive shaft through it, and the nut nut to keep it all nipped up

Gear Monkey - 11/5/14 at 10:13 PM

Would it not be a simple task to turn up a blank to solve the problem?

austin man - 11/5/14 at 10:15 PM

Not necessarily true you can have the cv end turned down and still attach it to the hub its the Cv that holds it in place. There are other factors also to think about ie which side of the hub is the steering pickup point etc

designer - 11/5/14 at 10:29 PM

It's really not a great problem. As said, turn the CV end down to remove mass. Will probably be heavier than other choices.

Allan Staniforth did the same in 1964 with FWD Mini uprights on his Terrapins.

Gear Monkey - 11/5/14 at 10:36 PM

Thanks guys. The other option I have is to re drill the mx5 hub pcd to accept ford wheels. I'm Only doing this as I'm having to create a freelander to ford back end and don't want mismatch wheels. I guess I could equally re drill the rear ford hubs to accept the mazda wheels.... I will find a bloody solution. It's Driving me nuts!!

Paul

jollygreengiant - 11/5/14 at 11:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by designer
It's really not a great problem. As said, turn the CV end down to remove mass. Will probably be heavier than other choices.

Allan Staniforth did the same in 1964 with FWD Mini uprights on his Terrapins.

MG did it on their last model, the MGF, with metro front sub-frames. They just removed the internals of the CV joint.

austin man - 11/5/14 at 11:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gear Monkey
Thanks guys. The other option I have is to re drill the mx5 hub pcd to accept ford wheels. I'm Only doing this as I'm having to create a freelander to ford back end and don't want mismatch wheels. I guess I could equally re drill the rear ford hubs to accept the mazda wheels.... I will find a bloody solution. It's Driving me nuts!!

Paul

why not splice the ford and Freelander driveshafts then you can use the ford hubs

iank - 11/5/14 at 11:22 PM

Unless you're fitting a spare (and fitting the same width wheels all around) the pcd of the front and rear wheels don't have to match so it doesn't matter - assuming you can find a wheel design you like with both pcd's available.

DIY Si - 12/5/14 at 08:06 AM

I'm doing exactly this for my Sprite. I'm using Mini uprights and stub axles at the front, but will be machining the CV cup off the stub to save a load of mass. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with it at all, as long as the steering rack sits the right side of the upright. Or the steering arms bolt on, as per the Mini, so you can make it want you need.

Gear Monkey - 12/5/14 at 12:57 PM

Thanks for your help and info guys. So does anyone have any idea which hubs (lighter the better) are suitable for forward mounted steering racks??

Paul

Dingz - 12/5/14 at 01:57 PM

quote:

MG did it on their last model, the MGF, with metro front sub-frames. They just removed the internals of the CV joint.

Same as GTMs and the Elise!

b14wrc - 13/5/14 at 11:30 AM

I am not sure your correct about the Elise, lotus made its own alloy hubs front and rear.

Rob