Board logo

compressor size
HAL 1 - 16/6/10 at 05:11 PM

This more to do with the motor than the size of tank.
I'm just about to buy a single phase 14cfm compressor that has a 3hp motor, however i'm told that it won't run from a domestic 13 amp supply, apparantly it'll need a larger amperage, anyone with any experience out there who can help with info please ?

Stuart_B - 16/6/10 at 05:14 PM

3hp, is fine to run off a domestic supply.

i have 5hp run off a 16amp supply

stuart

bitsilly - 16/6/10 at 05:27 PM

Last year I ran two 3KW heaters on one mains spur. That was the absolute limit. The plugs would grow slowly warm, as would the wire.

How many KW the unit uses is what counts, and if it is high, be careful not to run it the same time as a cooker/heater etc if the total is near to your main or spur fuse limit.

Have just checked, and my compressor is 3hp and rated at just 2.2KW so I'd say you are fine as long as there is not too much other stuff on the same spur and the fuse/trip switch rating is high enough. If it's not, then it will occasionally trip!

cliftyhanger - 16/6/10 at 05:51 PM

mine runs fine on a 13A socket.
I think part of the problem that the retailers envisage is that when running the motor consumes about 10A, but rather more at initial start-up. However this is only for a VERY short time, not long enough to pop the 13A fuse.

carlknight1982 - 16/6/10 at 06:25 PM

with compressors as its a motor its the start up surge, so its best to run it on a spur and uprate the breaker to a "D" rated breaker, this is basically making the breaker motor rated and should prevent nusience tripping, i run a 150L sealy on a 16A D rated spur without an issue

Theshed - 16/6/10 at 06:38 PM

I have a 3hp compressor and a 7.5kw kiln (not me the other half but good for heat treatment) all off one 80' cable at the end of the garden . No problems - why use a plug ? Use a distribution board with correctly rated rcds.

hobbsy - 16/6/10 at 08:47 PM

Same here 3hp v-twin Sealey on a normal 13A plug.

blakep82 - 16/6/10 at 09:19 PM

mine the machine mart one, 3hp, 14cfm, and must be wired to a 32a circuit.
it had a 16a circuit breaker built in which kept tripping, and when i asked the man in the shop he gave me a 32a breaker becasue it had the wrong one fitted to start with

coozer - 17/6/10 at 07:21 AM

I would go down to Tool Station and get a 16 amp commando plug and socket and wire them in on a spur.

The problem on 13 amp plugs is they cannot handle much ampage and get kinda hot...

I have both my Mig and Plasma cutter wired up through these blue 16 amp jobbies and I feel a lot cosier for it...

HAL 1 - 17/6/10 at 02:15 PM

cheers for all the replies guys, looks like i'll be out to get one soon, spoke to spark at work who recommended the blue 16amp plugs coozer so i'll go that route as well.

Ta