Board logo

Pressure testing tanks
flak monkey - 29/3/11 at 10:23 AM

I need a means to pressure test my bike oil tank (along with others in the future no doubt) and I am wondering the best way to do it.

I thought the easiest way would be to use an inline tyre (schrader) valve then I can just seal the other connections on the tank, and pump it up to a set pressure with a foot pump or airline. But I cant seem to find valves in the right configuration
(inline).

I need to know what pressure I am putting into the tank so this was the easiest way I could think of.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

daviep - 29/3/11 at 10:33 AM

Have you got any 8mm or 10mm fittings on your tanks? If so then I'm sure if you cut the mushroom off the bottom of a normal tyre valve to you leave a parrallel shnak then this could be jubileed into a hose and the other end of the hose on to the tank.

I take it we're only talking 10-15psi?

Davie

daviep - 29/3/11 at 10:35 AM

or for a fancier solution turn a nice hollow aluminium blanking cap for one of the bigger hoses, pop a hole in the end and pull a tyre valve in as per car wheel rim fitment.

Davie

coyoteboy - 29/3/11 at 10:38 AM

Is this for a proper pressure test or just a leak test? A proper pressure test at operating pressure +60% etc would normally be done with a liquid medium as it's easier to pump up to pressure and doesn't contain vast amounts of energy (shrapnel) if the tank does let go?

flak monkey - 29/3/11 at 10:43 AM

Thanks, I did think about doing that. And its probably what I may end up doing anyway.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone knew of a source of screw in or inline schrader valves then I could make up a proper adaptor which will last for a while, rather than hash something together

My tanks have -6JIC fittings on them, so 8mm bore hose.

ETA - its just for leak testing. The tanks themselves dont run under any pressure at all.

[Edited on 29/3/11 by flak monkey]

liam.mccaffrey - 29/3/11 at 11:14 AM

theres always a penetrating oil (diesel) test with a bit of talc on the outside, its good enough for 80m storage tanks, though we do a pressure service test too.

blakep82 - 29/3/11 at 11:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
I guess I was just wondering if anyone knew of a source of screw in or inline schrader valves then I could make up a proper adaptor which will last for a while, rather than hash something together

like these?
Flush Fit Wheel Tyre Valves on eBay (end time 15-Apr-11 22:08:29 BST)

britishtrident - 29/3/11 at 11:26 AM

Many fuel pressure rails have in screw in Schrader valves I bought a couple of Rover KV6 ones a couple of years ago to make up a cooling system tester --- might still have one ISTR a brass fitting with M12 male thread.

Other source is bolt in tyre valves --- I have a couple of spare light alloy ones.

bitsilly - 29/3/11 at 04:42 PM

I sealed up the holes, blew up a balloon, and taped it over the fuel outlet.
The next morning it had not gone down!
That tank was never meant to be pressurised, I was just checking for leaks.

Well, it's a locost option!

jacko - 29/3/11 at 05:29 PM

You can get a pump and gauge for checking radiators on cars could you adapt something like that
just pump it up and watch the gauge
Jacko

flak monkey - 29/3/11 at 08:20 PM

Thanks gents, will investigate the options