Board logo

Chassis / alloy floor powdercoating
mutleylocost - 27/4/10 at 03:08 PM

Any welcome advice on powdercoating sequence.
I want to get chassis shotblasted then fit alloy floor (sikaflex and rivets) then get it powdercoated.
Will this be ok ?
I want the floor to stick to the metal chassis and not just the powdercoat but not sure if its ok to coat ally and steel together.
Cheers

Davey D - 27/4/10 at 03:24 PM

if you are that worried about not wanting to bond to powdercoat, then i would get the chassis coated separately, and where the floor fixes to the chassis grind the powdercoat off with a flapper disk. Then bond the floor in place

mutleylocost - 27/4/10 at 03:38 PM

Quite like the idea of the chassis and floor coated the same with the powdercoat sealing the floor / chassis and rivets etc.

stig2 - 27/4/10 at 03:40 PM

You should ideally not mate bare aluminium and steel because of the electrolitic process, these type of joints should have a barrier between the 2 surfaces using a dielectric paint.

We bond aluminium daily to a powder coated surfaces, some of whice are in structural areas, all you need to do is to lightly scuff the coated surface & the aluminium where your going to place the polyurethane adhesive (sika)

ReMan - 27/4/10 at 04:40 PM

given the prep that goes into some powdercoating, ie none!
If you are blasting and the coating it will have a great key and shoud be as good a bond as to bare metal

nike5 - 28/4/10 at 10:20 PM

If you attach floor to chassis, then get it powdercoated.
This means that only 3 sides of chassis tubes are powdercoated.
Is there potential for water get inbetween at any stage, and could this cause rust problems for untreated 4th side of chassis tube?
Preventing this is powdercoat and silicone between chassis tube and alloy floor.

Personally would powder coat them separately.

mutleylocost - 29/4/10 at 04:42 PM

Yea think your right nike5 had'nt thought of that.